Four Game Preseason

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree to a point but I think the majority of bottom of the roster players make the team based on their performance during camp. Whether its an accurate assessment is a different story. I'm sure a few have a great preseason game or two and make the roster based on those performances but if those players were not already showing their stuff in practice I'm not sure those performances would help much.

While practice is definitely important I guess players on the roster bubble make the team more often based on their performance in preseason games, especially on special teams.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While practice is definitely important I guess players on the roster bubble make the team more often based on their performance in preseason games, especially on special teams.

I can agree with that but I just don't think there are more than a few of those true bubble players. Players with poor camp performance would need a couple of great pre season games to overcome it while players with good camp performances would probably really have to suck in pre season games or commit a major gaff for it to affect their chances to make the team.

Perhaps, with practices becoming more and more limited, that will change or has been changing but I think historically camp and practice had more influence the games in determining rosters.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I actually like checking out our whole team. And seeing who I think should make the team. Of course, you have to take into consideration the competition. But, for instance, good hands are good hands. Good coverage skills and good tackling also. Not so much with rushing the QB against a scrub O lineman.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s been a few years since I’ve gone to a practice, I can’t imagine it’s more physical these days considering the new CBA, but those practices were not anything That showed you much game wise

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut one preseason game, use the extra week saved to give every team two bye weeks. Do away with Thursday football. A much better product results.

H

HardRightEdge

The league makes way too much money out of those games to consider eliminating them.
Yeah. They'd probably have national Friday and Saturday night telecasts were it not for "Friday Night Lights" and the resolution of anti-trust claims in Congress decades ago that included the stipulation that the NFL would not compete against college football.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I partially agree. I think it's a bit of a reach saying the guys on the bubble will show more. The reason I disagree is because everyone plays very vanilla schemes in pre seasons. It's easy for some players to look great when defense is playing strictly man coverage. Then they fail to ever develop into anything good. I would feel more comfortable guys going up against the same guys in practice with more complicated plays and not being afraid of the other team stealing anything.

Theres really only about maybe 10 guys who realistically have a chance to bump their chance into the roster. Guy #90 already knows he's not going to make the team. Let them go out there for 2 games and show what you got and move on to games that matter
I agree with you. The guys duking it out for a roster spot in PS are going to end up as second and third string starters anyway or on the practice squad. I’m sure it’s happened, but I don’t remember a time when a starter was on the bubble. Se we get 4 PS games that few people watch past Q1. As for adding an extra regular season game, I doubt that will pass the new CBA. Eliminate the last PS game and give the starters and the guys who will play an extra week of rest.

H

HardRightEdge

As for adding an extra regular season game, I doubt that will pass the new CBA. Eliminate the last PS game and give the starters and the guys who will play an extra week of rest.
Preseason games are also revenue generators whether or not people switch off the TV--tickets, concessions, etc. and some TV money. Neither owners nor all those veteran players who would take the same number of snaps in a 3 game preseason would have any interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

The guys duking it out for a roster spot in PS are going to end up as second and third string starters anyway or on the practice squad. I’m sure it’s happened, but I don’t remember a time when a starter was on the bubble.

It's important to make a thorough evaluation on which of the second and third stringers to keep on the roster as most of them will receive significant playing time at some point during the season.

As an example for a starter being on the bubble you might remember the Packers released Sitton in 2016 after they deemed Taylor to be an adequate replacement.

H

HardRightEdge

It's important to make a thorough evaluation on which of the second and third stringers to keep on the roster as most of them will receive significant playing time at some point during the season.

As an example for a starter being on the bubble you might remember the Packers released Sitton in 2016 after they deemed Taylor to be an adequate replacement.
Allison, Taylor, McCray, Brice and Gunter were undrafted players who eventually earned significant playing time, perhaps all in the same game at one time or another in 2017.

None of these guys will ever make a Pro Bowl, Brice and Gunter are gone in favor of perceived upgrades, Taylor and McCray have likely lost starting jobs and may be next to depart this year or next.

Whether one saw value in these players or not at the time they made the roster, they played. Whether they were better or worse than guys who were passed over turned out to be an important evaluation. Preseason is essential to that evaluation in an attempt to sort out the practice warriors from the guys who show up when the bright lights go on.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Cut preseason down to two games but increase training camp length by a week. Mandate the first week as non-contact with increased requirements for class room time and conditioning for flexibility.
Eliminate the practice squad.
Increase roster from 53 to 60 and allow all to be active.
Eliminate IR but allow teams to declare SE "Season Ending"where player does not count against the 60 but is not eligible to return until the next season. No more playing games with IR.
Increase schedule to 17 games with the extra game designated for a "Neutral Site". This neutral site game could be played in Canada, Mexico, or even in larger collage stadiums. This provides more opportunities to see an NFL game. No more 8-8 seasons.
Add a second bye and change the format where byes are in weeks 5,6,7 and then 11,12,13.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Eliminate IR but allow teams to declare SE "Season Ending"where player does not count against the 60 but is not eligible to return until the next season. No more playing games with IR.
IOW put IR back to what it was a few years ago.
Mandate the first week as non-contact with increased requirements for class room time and conditioning for flexibility.
1st week of camp is OTA rules?

D

Deleted member 6794

Cut preseason down to two games but increase training camp length by a week. Mandate the first week as non-contact with increased requirements for class room time and conditioning for flexibility.
Increase schedule to 17 games with the extra game designated for a "Neutral Site". This neutral site game could be played in Canada, Mexico, or even in larger collage stadiums. This provides more opportunities to see an NFL game. No more 8-8 seasons.
Add a second bye and change the format where byes are in weeks 5,6,7 and then 11,12,13.

The majority of your ideas are terrible ones the league fortunately won't even consider.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You will never have all players active because not all teams would have the same number of healthy players at any given time who are able to suit up. The game day inactives level the playing field somewhat and I fully agree with it. I don’t have a problem raising the numbers but there will always be an inactive list IMO.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do away with Thursday football. A much better product results.

The quality of the game does suffer on Thursdays... Having a Thursday nighter after a bye week so both teams come in fresh and prepared rather than on a short week would help - they'd also get another mini-bye right after.

D

Deleted member 6794

The quality of the game does suffer on Thursdays... Having a Thursday nighter after a bye week so both teams come in fresh and prepared rather than on a short week would help - they'd also get another mini-bye right after.

I agree that would be a smart idea but the league wouldn't be able to have Thursday night football as early as in week 2 as well as late as week 15.

Therefore it won't happen.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The majority of your ideas are terrible ones the league fortunately won't even consider.

why?

- I'm not sure if any other sport has a practice squad. You have a team to play and that should be it. If you need then sign replacement players, then directly sing them fro Free Agency.
- Squad Increase: Is there any reason to oppose this?
- IR: Does this really mean something? You are in squad healthy or injured and the reason we have extra members is to cover or this in addition to tactical flexibility. Esp as per above point you have a bigger team, then when there is no reason for IR.
- Increase to 17 games: NFL has probably the shortest season of all major sports and one more game ain't gonna make a difference. With the popularity of the sport, it's probably more fun for the fans.
- Second Bye: Eliminate the Thu games, add in one more bye week and extend the season a bit in time. Can't see no harm in a 20 week season.

Why are these terrible?

D

Deleted member 6794

- I'm not sure if any other sport has a practice squad. You have a team to play and that should be it. If you need then sign replacement players, then directly sing them fro Free Agency.

Every other of the big four leagues have a farm system though.

- Squad Increase: Is there any reason to oppose this?

I'm not opposed to increasing the roster limit during the season but there's no reason all players should be active on game day.

- IR: Does this really mean something? You are in squad healthy or injured and the reason we have extra members is to cover or this in addition to tactical flexibility. Esp as per above point you have a bigger team, then when there is no reason for IR.

The NFL didn't allow players to return from injured reserve until some seasons ago. There's no way they will go back to it.

- Increase to 17 games: NFL has probably the shortest season of all major sports and one more game ain't gonna make a difference. With the popularity of the sport, it's probably more fun for the fans.

Football is the toughest sport resulting in a ton of injuries. With the league's emphasis on player safety another game would make a huge difference and I don't see the NFLPA agreeing to it.

- Second Bye: Eliminate the Thu games, add in one more bye week and extend the season a bit in time. Can't see no harm in a 20 week season.

I don't see any reason to add another bye week or to lengthen the season. With the league making a ton of money they won't eliminate Thursday night games. I would prefer teams having their bye before playing during the week though.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts