Forrest Gregg Passes Away

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't know that he had been fighting Parkinson's since 2011. :(

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/134007798.html/

Guessing CTE will be brought up again in regards to Gregg. I was encouraged to see this article that was published by Time yesterday on CTE research.

http://time.com/5568192/brain-scan-concussion-athletes-football-nfl-cte/
Instead of just looking for proteins and compounds between former players with mood and thought issues compared to healthy non players, they need to include regular people with history of mood and thought issues with and without brain trauma.

What if the repetitiveness isn’t the issue, rather just some people respond to a single event?

It’s fine they showed players with issues have different levels than healthy men, helps ID differences in blood levels of things to look for further.

But it doesn’t really tell us any more than that.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Instead of just looking for proteins and compounds between former players with mood and thought issues compared to healthy non players, they need to include regular people with history of mood and thought issues with and without brain trauma.

What if the repetitiveness isn’t the issue, rather just some people respond to a single event?

It’s fine they showed players with issues have different levels than healthy men, helps ID differences in blood levels of things to look for further.

But it doesn’t really tell us any more than that.

Agreed. It's obvious that this isn't something that just effects professional athletes but because it does, I think it has had a lot more money thrown at it, which is a good thing. You are correct though, possibly a single event as a kid, falling headfirst off the monkey bars, may have been enough trauma to set it in motion.

All that said, I have no doubt that if there is progress, it will be used for everyone, not just athletes.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose I don’t want to derail too far, Coach Gregg deserves his time and space to remembered. I was just a kid when he was the coach and I always thought he looked like a football coach should look. Ornery :)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I think of Gregg I think of how he left coaching. It was a strike year and they had replacement players. He coached them up and they did well. He quit later and said something to the effect of the replacement players were so excited and eager to play football he loved coaching them. When the regular players came back and he had to deal with contracts, money, complainers, self absorbed rich athletes he really missed the replacement players enthusiasm and just love if the game.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When I think of Gregg I think of how he left coaching. It was a strike year and they had replacement players. He coached them up and they did well. He quit later and said something to the effect of the replacement players were so excited and eager to play football he loved coaching them. When the regular players came back and he had to deal with contracts, money, complainers, self absorbed rich athletes he really missed the replacement players enthusiasm and just love if the game.

Are you saying what I think you are saying!? Bring back the replacements!

Good insight on Gregg and coaching replacements VS non. Makes sense and I personally wouldn't want to deal with some of these guys that are making enough money in one year to retire for life. Sure they love the game and want to play and make more money, but I am guessing ego's and riches dampen the fun of that for coaches and some teammates.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Rest in peace, Forrest.

You know, I was 12 when he played his last game as a Packer and I do not remember.

I only remember negative things from when he was Coach. The hallway, the strip club, Kenny Stills and Charles Martin.

He deserves so much more.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
RIP :(

Not may have been a great coach but he was one hell of a player. Sucks we are losing more members of the Lombardi Era players.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RIP :(

Not may have been a great coach but he was one hell of a player. Sucks we are losing more members of the Lombardi Era players.

That's Taylor, Skoronski and Gregg in recent months. Others who have passed from that dynasty; Thurston, Gillingham, Pitts, Kostelnik , Jordan, Aldridge, Caffey, Crutcher, Nitschke, and I believe Jeter. That's one hell of a draft for Heaven.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I think of Gregg I think of how he left coaching. It was a strike year and they had replacement players.
Ha! I remember those strike years. It wasn't realistic, but I used to hope the league would just kick the striking pros out of the league and stick with the replacements. Because the regular Packers weren't any good (and didn't look like they ever would be), the Bears were dominating the division, and I was tired of all the usual perennial winners. I figured why not wipe the slate clean and start over, lol.

Thoughts and prayers to Gregg and his family and friends.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I live in E. Tx. we have some Clydesdale horses and my wife wanted to get them trained to pull a wagon. So people said go see this guy Jr. Gregg. We did so, became friends, this guy’s wife mentioned they were going to watch the Saints and Packers game, I said what are you Saints fans or something? She’s says no, Packers, his brother played for them......I said you don’t mean Forrest Gregg, yea you know him........this was 5 years ago and they said he was in bad shape then.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I suppose I don’t want to derail too far, Coach Gregg deserves his time and space to remembered. I was just a kid when he was the coach and I always thought he looked like a football coach should look. Ornery :)

I was a kid when he was a player and I idolized all of those guys. That was a team beyond compare and I don't care what anyone says about the freaking Patriots.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts