Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, could you imagine if Phil cried about being suspended or fired the way Kluwe whined?

Yeah one is for equal rights the other spews hate speech.

Kluwe is just a former employee airing his employers derogatory remarks. I'd love to hear "Phil's" excuse for his comments.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kluwe is just a former employee airing his employers derogatory remarks. I'd love to hear "Phil's" excuse for his comments.

Well, opposing views are not necessarily hate speech. Westboro engages in hate speech. Phil did not engage in hate speech.

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The funny thing is, to anyone who has dealt with all different races, they know and knew then what Reggie was talking about.

I say that as someone who is married to an Asian, as someone's who's best friend (one of them) is Indian.
Also of course here in Texas I have many Mexican or Latino friends.

Reggie was absolutely 100% right on.

It's the white-guilt, paranoid, PC guzzlers who took offense to what Reggie said, probably because they felt uncomfortable with hearing something they thought but didn't have the ballz to say.

I completely agree.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, opposing views are not necessarily hate speech. Westboro engages in hate speech. Phil did not engage in hate speech.

This isn't hate speech?

“They’re full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant God-haters. They are heartless. They are faithless. They are senseless. They are truthless. They invent ways of doing evil.”

Well agree to disagree on what is and isn't hate speech.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
But Reggie was the man!

Yeah. He was. I've always taken a different view of these matters but it is an entirely different generation now obviously. Everybody seems so willing to wear their beliefs on their sleeves...or more realistically on their Facebook page or on Twitter. Where I come from, you pray in private and your personal business is your personal business. Never been one for 'activism' but have never been shy about telling someone to **** ... and expect my friends to do the same to me when I'm out of line.

As I said ... different generation ... different personal make up, I guess.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. He was. I've always taken a different view of these matters but it is an entirely different generation now obviously. Everybody seems so willing to wear their beliefs on their sleeves...or more realistically on their Facebook page or on Twitter. Where I come from, you pray in private and your personal business is your personal business. Never been one for 'activism' but have never been shy about telling someone to **** ... and expect my friends to do the same to me when I'm out of line.

As I said ... different generation ... different personal make up, I guess.

That's not really the case when you think about.

"I would like to thank God, my coach and my lovely wife" is a public proclamation that you are a heterosexual Theist. The whole "just don't talk about it" thing isn't a standard we straight people ever live up to. Imagine if someone told you not to ever talk about your wife/girlfriend or a girl you met, which actresses you think are hot, etc. Imagine having to hide the fact that you're straight, and the hoops you would have to jump through to do it. Don't you think that would build resentment after a while?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I have thought about it for...oh...give or take 50 years or so. Public proclamation or is that a standard ... canned ... response spoon-fed to some semi-literate professional athlete decades ago by some team's P.R. department. Ultimately that and "takin' it to the next level" and somesuch become easy to remember ... right at the fingertip responses to equally canned questions from semi-literate sportscasters who jam a microphone into any athlete's face looking for their "insight".

Answer me this. Why WOULD you voluntarily discuss your wife/girlfriend/one-night-stand with someone you don't know? Frankly, that sort of blather builds resentment within ME after a while. Almost as though I'd need to drill a hole into my head and suck out half of my brain before even considering sitting down to watch that junk.

I am not implying that I'm above "all that" ... I'm SAYING that I DON'T GIVE A SH*T about "all that". :)

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not really the case when you think about.

"I would like to thank God, my coach and my lovely wife" is a public proclamation that you are a heterosexual Theist. The whole "just don't talk about it" thing isn't a standard we straight people ever live up to. Imagine if someone told you not to ever talk about your wife/girlfriend or a girl you met, which actresses you think are hot, etc. Imagine having to hide the fact that you're straight, and the hoops you would have to jump through to do it. Don't you think that would build resentment after a while?

my god sometimes people try soooo hard to make an issue where there's not one. in this Vikings case, the front office told the guy "fine, feel free to use your platform for your cause, but can you please do it using a few large media outlets and not make a circus of it? as is always the case, that's not gonna fly with the PC crowd with a PC topic.

what if this SAME EXACT person was speaking out in favor of the NRA and was equally passionate about that? You think anyone would come to his defense then? Hell!!! Time Tebow is endlessly the butt of jokes!!!! Why? Because he talks about being a ****** and his beliefs!!!! Didn't let it get in the way of his job...but how dare him?! talk about double standards.

sooooo.... seriously....take a giant step back on this. you tell me. how many times in your own life have you known of or witnessed homosexuals being treated unfairly? this BS over this country being soooo anit-homosexual is a freaking joke. in fact, i have witnessed first hand countless times in my life homosexuals being treated with kit gloves and given preferential treatment because people are afraid to be called out for something that's not there.

there is on the other hand a very real bias against certain other groups but we'll not even talk about that.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my god sometimes people try soooo hard to make an issue where there's not one. in this Vikings case, the front office told the guy "fine, feel free to use your platform for your cause, but can you please do it using a few large media outlets and not make a circus of it? as is always the case, that's not gonna fly with the PC crowd with a PC topic.

what if this SAME EXACT person was speaking out in favor of the NRA and was equally passionate about that? You think anyone would come to his defense then? Hell!!! Time Tebow is endlessly the butt of jokes!!!! Why? Because he talks about being a ****** and his beliefs!!!! Didn't let it get in the way of his job...but how dare him?! talk about double standards. not only do people not come to his defense...ever....but they make jokes!!!

sooooo.... seriously....take a giant step back on this. you tell me. how many times in your own life have you known of or witnessed homosexuals being treated unfairly? this BS over this country being soooo anit-homosexual is a freaking joke. in fact, i have witnessed first hand countless times in my life homosexuals being treated with kit gloves and given preferential treatment because people are afraid to be called out for something that's not there.

there is on the other hand a very real bias against certain other groups but we'll not even talk about that.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

what if this SAME EXACT person was speaking out in favor of the NRA and was equally passionate about that? You think anyone would come to his defense then? Hell!!! Time Tebow is endlessly the butt of jokes!!!! Why? Because he talks about being a ****** and his beliefs!!!! Didn't let it get in the way of his job...but how dare him?! talk about double standards.

I absolutely support players having the freedom to be activists in support of gun rights, so there's no hypocrisy. Are you kidding me about Tim Tebow? Certain individuals made fun of him on message forums and around water coolers at work, but he was a media darling. He was a horrible quarterback who became a household name and got tons of chances in the NFL.

As for the your remark about the country not being anti-homosexual, I completely disagree and everyone has their own personal anecdotes. I'm more concerned with equality as it pertains to laws and legislation.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
[IMO] Maryland delegate Emmett C. Burns Jr. was wrong for saying the Ravens should suppress the speech of one of their players. I think government officials at all levels should be particularly careful about suppressing speech since the First Amendment constrains the government’s ability to suppress speech. I also think Kluwe was wrong for the language and tone he used in his letter to Burns: He did himself and his cause no favors. IMO to the degree he was associated with the team, he embarrassed it with that letter and the Vikings were within their rights to let him know they didn’t like it (although according to Kluwe they didn’t specifically mention it).
sooooo.... seriously....take a giant step back on this.
Taking a “giant step back” to me this implies taking a historical view of the subject and I appreciate that perspective. When you do that you’ll notice that until 2003 ****** laws in various states were deemed constitutional. In the 1986 Supreme Court case of Bowers v. Hardwick, the Court upheld the Georgia ****** law which made ****** a criminal act (including **** sex, BTW). The ruling in the Bowers case stood until the 2003 case of Lawrence v. Texas which struck down ****** laws in the 14 states in which they remained.

In the broad scope of history, 2003 was “yesterday”. I bring this up not to say homosexuals (and others engaging in **** sex) filled the prisons before 2003 but rather to say anti-homosexual bias has existed throughout history. I consider the United States one of the, if not the greatest countries in history but we do have a history of anti-gay, anti-Semitism, anti-Italian, anti-Irish, anti-Catholic, anti-etc., and racism that we shouldn’t be proud of. On subject, it was not that long ago (in the broad scope of history) that **** were the targets of shame, beatings, and murder in this country.

But we can be proud of the tremendous progress we have made on all those fronts. That is not to say political correctness hasn’t run amok. IMO it definitely has. For example, it has restrained criticism of gay pride parades whose purpose seems to be making others uncomfortable; and the criticism of some black leaders, like Jesse Jackson, extorting businesses in order to enrich himself, just to name two examples. And IMO it’s even led to the Fort Hood terrorist attack enabled by those who knew Hasan spouted jihadism but were too politically correct to bring that to light. But because the politically correct movement has gone too far in the other direction, does not mean the hatred and bigotry of the past still don’t exist. They do. [/IMO]

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Labeling opposing views as "hate speech" is yet another tactic made up by the PC crowd intended to demonize those with whom they disagree. It's a disgusting practice and should be frowned upon by any freedom-loving American.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
of course I agree there is still bigotry. we'd probably disagree however on that as well. I honestly believe reverse is out of control and the main problem that's not allowing us to even deal with race issues.

...and tim tebow is a "media darling". HUH?! man we really disagree on that one. the guy is made out to be a complete joke by the mainstream media and just about everyone. please.

oooooohhhhhhh....and.....go pack!!!!!!!!!!!:)

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Labeling opposing views as "hate speech" is yet another tactic made up by the PC crowd intended to demonize those with whom they disagree. It's a disgusting practice and should be frowned upon by any freedom-loving American.

The same exact argument can be made in support of those who oppose interracial marriage.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
of course I agree there is still bigotry. we'd probably disagree however on that as well. I honestly believe reverse is out of control and the main problem that's not allowing us to even deal with race issues.

...and tim tebow is a "media darling". HUH?! man we really disagree on that one. the guy is made out to be a complete joke by the mainstream media and just about everyone. please.

oooooohhhhhhh....and.....go pack!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Tebow's play made him a complete joke. I've never seen a bad thing said about Tebow in the media that didn't involve his playing ability. The guy is so bad he doesn't even have a job, and yet he's a household name.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same exact argument can be made in support of those who oppose interracial marriage.
Then so be it. How does that harm me? Look, I'm a libertarian. You can waste your proverbial breath all you want but you're not going to convince me that anyone's freedom of speech needs to be curtailed so long as violence is not directly incited.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why should I care if some people might be against interracial marriage? How does that harm me? Look, I'm a libertarian. You can waste your proverbial breath all you want but you're not going to convince me that anyone's freedom of speech needs to be curtailed so long as violence is not directly incited.

If you're a Libertarian then surely you rail against those who push for "big guvamint" to dictate to interracial couples whether or not they can marry, right?

And let's just take the moral point of view. You don't believe the opposition to interracial marriage is discriminatory and racist?

Also, nobody is saying people should not be allowed to advocate for racism. Hell, I fully respect the ***'s right to push their agenda so long as they're not violating laws in the process. But I also have the right to call them out for it.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're a Libertarian then surely you rail against those who push for "big guvamint" to dictate to interracial couples whether or not they can marry, right?
No, I wouldn't rail against them. People can take up whatever cause they please. As for anyone getting "big guvamint" to dictate on interracial marriage, good luck with that. Not my problem if they want to waste their time. I'm also not going to waste my time telling them they can't fight for whatever they believe in. I do, however, have a problem with anyone who would attempt to silence them.

You see, I actually believe in FREE speech, not just "approved" speech.

While I personally have no problem with interracial marriage, that doesn't mean I'm going to lift one finger to silence those who might not... whomever that might be.

Last edited:

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Actually a friend of mine who is gay just got beat up by a group of guys who called her every name in the book. They were pissed about that duck dynasty garbage.

I'm not joking or exagerrating, they beat her up over duck dynasty...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tebow's play made him a complete joke. I've never seen a bad thing said about Tebow in the media that didn't involve his playing ability. The guy is so bad he doesn't even have a job, and yet he's a household name.
Tebow was PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER ONE because he is such a great winner in college and because he's such a great CHRISTIAN.
There were tons of jokes about him regarding his Christianity.
If you deny that, then you're blind.

And if you admit it, then tell me why that is allowed but nobody is allowed to joke about Jewish athletes like that or about Muslim athletes like that, or about black athletes, or gay athletes.

You see where we're headed there?

Tebow has still won more Broncos playoff games than Peyton Manning has. Just saying. That's a fact.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually a friend of mine who is gay just got beat up by a group of guys who called her every name in the book. They were pissed about that duck dynasty garbage.

I'm not joking or exagerrating, they beat her up over duck dynasty...
Guys beat up a girl?
And what did she have to do with Duck Dynasty?

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tebow was PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER ONE because he is such a great winner in college and because he's such a great CHRISTIAN.
There were tons of jokes about him regarding his Christianity.
If you deny that, then you're blind.

And if you admit it, then tell me why that is allowed but nobody is allowed to joke about Jewish athletes like that or about Muslim athletes like that, or about black athletes, or gay athletes.

You see where we're headed there?

Tebow has still won more Broncos playoff games than Peyton Manning has. Just saying. That's a fact.

Ah, yes. The "persecuted Christians" who comprise almost 80% of the country and over 99% of the government at the federal, state and local levels.

High profile people in all areas, from celebrities to athletes to politicians say "I would like to thank God" all the freaking time, and nobody cares. But then just one NBA player comes out of the closet and "**** we don't need to know your sexuality"

As for your implication Tebow is a good quarterback, who does he play for right now?

Edit: and "PUBLIC ENEMY #1"?? lol Wow. Just wow.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing. They were upset that the guy got canned from the show and since she's gay and voiced her opinion on the matter they took it out on her. They were kicked out of the bar and then waited for her in the parking lot and beat her up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts