Forget the wildcard for a minute, what about the division?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, I have been looking at the Packers playoffs hopes in terms of wildcard scenarios all week, but what about winning the division? A lot of pundits have said the Vikings are over-achieving and they did have their hands full with the Redskins and also the Browns for 2.5 quarters. The Bears were in position to beat them if they hadn't pissed it away on a late INT. So let's assume for a minute that we win out and end the season at 10-6, which we must do in any case. Let's also assume the Lions have their typical December implosion and find a way to lose at least 2 of their last 5 games, which I think is likely.

The Vikings would need to lose 4 games to also end the season 10-6. One of those losses obviously would come at Lambeau. They play the Falcons and Panthers on the road the next two weeks, and I think both of them are better teams and will beat them at home. That leaves the Bengals and Bears. The Bengals can't help us because the Vikings would have the tiebreaker via record against common opponents with 8 vs our 7. But if the Bears can upset them, we would have the tiebreaker by virtue of division record.

So, after all of that, the question that begs is, can the Bears beat the Vikings? The Bears have always been pretty good at playing the spoiler over the years. Can they do it this year?

D

Deleted member 6794

Okay, I have been looking at the Packers playoffs hopes in terms of wildcard scenarios all week, but what about winning the division? A lot of pundits have said the Vikings are over-achieving and they did have their hands full with the Redskins and also the Browns for 2.5 quarters. The Bears were in position to beat them if they hadn't pissed it away on a late INT. So let's assume for a minute that we win out and end the season at 10-6, which we must do in any case. Let's also assume the Lions have their typical December implosion and find a way to lose at least 2 of their last 5 games, which I think is likely.

The Vikings would need to lose 4 games to also end the season 10-6. One of those losses obviously would come at Lambeau. They play the Falcons and Panthers on the road the next two weeks, and I think both of them are better teams and will beat them at home. That leaves the Bengals and Bears. The Bengals can't help us because the Vikings would have the tiebreaker via record against common opponents with 8 vs our 7. But if the Bears can upset them, we would have the tiebreaker by virtue of division record.

So, after all of that, the question that begs is, can the Bears beat the Vikings? The Bears have always been pretty good at playing the spoiler over the years. Can they do it this year?

While it's fun to come up with scenarios like that it's unrealistic to expect the Packers to win out even if Rodgers returns for the Panthers game.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's fun to come up with scenarios like that it's unrealistic to expect the Packers to win out even if Rodgers returns for the Panthers game.
I absolutely disagree. A bunch of doubters never thought they would run the table last year either. The next two games are winnable with Hundley if he plays like he did Sunday. The rest are very winnable with Rodgers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I absolutely disagree. A bunch of doubters never thought they would run the table last year either. The next two games are winnable with Hundley if he plays like he did Sunday. The rest are very winnable with Rodgers.

While I agree that the Packers could defeat the Buccaneers and Browns with Hundley starting at quarterback there's no reason to consider it a given the team will win both of them. You have to realize Rodgers would definitely be rusty returning from a broken collarbone on his throwing arm after only eight weeks while immediately having to face two top 10 scoring defenses against Carolina and Minnesota. In my opinion it's completely unrealistic to expect him to perform at an elite level vs. those teams making it close to impossible for Green Bay to end up winning those games.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree that the Packers could defeat the Buccaneers and Browns with Hundley starting at quarterback there's no reason to consider it a given the team will win both of them. You have to realize Rodgers would definitely be rusty returning from a broken collarbone on his throwing arm after only eight weeks while immediately having to face two top 10 scoring defenses against Carolina and Minnesota. In my opinion it's completely unrealistic to expect him to perform at an elite level vs. those teams making it close to impossible for Green Bay to end up winning those games.

First I never said it was a given to beat the Bucs and Browns. I was speaking in terms of hypotheticals, specifically analyzing our chance at winning the division IF we are able to win out. And as to Rodgers being rusty, I don't see it. Maybe for a possession or two, but any rust accumulated over 8 weeks will be shaken off quickly. AR is the ultimate competitor and he will be ready. He will have been practicing nearly 2 full weeks before the Carolina game. Now obviously if we lose this week and the Vikings win, then this thread is moot. But I don't think either of those things are going to happen this weekend.

Dagger85

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying that winning our December games is "hopeful" but "unrealistic." Well, if Rodgers returns against Carolina, its a good thing we have a QB who has, and can, do unrealistic things then.

D

Deleted member 6794

And as to Rodgers being rusty, I don't see it. Maybe for a possession or two, but any rust accumulated over 8 weeks will be shaken off quickly. AR is the ultimate competitor and he will be ready. He will have been practicing nearly 2 full weeks before the Carolina game.

A lot of Packers fans forget that Rodgers looked rusty and didn't perform at an elite level in both games vs. Chicago and San Francisco after returning from the broken collarbone to his non-throwing shoulder in 2013.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Take it one game at a time. Gotta beat the Bucs first then the Brownies.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You have to realize Rodgers will not "definitely" be rusty throwing footballs against the Panthers. His right arm is fine. He is already throwing in practice.The big issue with him is actually hits to the right shoulder, although Mike McCarthy would be smart to only call chunk plays third-and-long or hurry-up situations. There is a good reason Clay Matthews questioned the decision to put Rodgers on injured reserve. There will definitely be no rust against the Vikings.

About the next two games, do you have any reason to doubt we are able to repeat our Steelers game performance against terrible teams? We were less than 10 seconds away from forcing overtime there and you are skeptical about our chances of beating a pair of teams already out of playoff contention? I don't know what rock you were hiding under Sunday night. Brett Hundley has shown us he has the ability to beat a very good defense on the road. It was obviously not his fault we lost at Pittsburgh. So if you are a realist, you should not doubt the probability of Green Bay winning the next two games is pretty good.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of Packers fans forget that Rodgers looked rusty and didn't perform at an elite level in both games vs. Chicago and San Francisco after returning from the broken collarbone to his non-throwing shoulder in 2013.
Oh ye of little faith.

OP
OP
BrokenArrow

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today it was because we need Atlanta to lose out. I am not sure about the next two weeks before we meet the Vikings again.
Well, the division is pretty much gone now. Vikings would have to lose the rest of their games, including to both the Bears AND Bengals now. Not gonna happen.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We need to forget about winning the division and hope that Atlanta, Carolina and Seattle lose 3 of their last 5.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
forget the division. we just lost our top 10 draft pick. lol
Told y'all we weren't getting a top 10 draft pick. Most likely we'll miss the playoffs, and get a draft pick somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Reaction score
So far today we’ve gotten our Christmas list. Of the NFC wildcard group both the Lions and Falcons lost. We need Drew to put away Carolina at home and I think he’ll do just that. Ingram just ran for 72 yards. Go Saints!
We’ll need the Eagles to beat Seattle tonight and all the stars are aligning this week.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts