For those who don't blame Slocum for ST failures

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, anyone who *****es about coaches is obligated to offer their alternative. So... who do you have in mind?

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
unfortunately it's one of those thing that may have been noticed, but as it hadn't hurt us before it was let slide. i bet that ST coaches will be on top of this from now on. it doesn't help us now, obviously, but it is where an improvement will hopefully be seen
Waiting to deal with something till it costs you a game isn't a quality I want in a coach.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finding a special teams coach is a pretty tough task for a fan. Its not like these guys are promoted from asst. special teams coach as most teams don't even have a full time assistant. Its usually a guy promoted from being a different position coach.

I would bring back good ol #26.

Chuck Cecil. I believe special teams coordinator is a promotion from being secondary coach. Fisher always has good special teams units across the board. He has no assistant and you aren't getting his coordinator so I think snagging his longtime defensive backs coach Cecil would be a good fit.

Brad Seely formerly the ST coordinator with the 49ers would be worth a look too. I'm not sure if he was retained or not with the new staff but I doubt it.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, anyone who *****es about coaches is obligated to offer their alternative. So... who do you have in mind?

We have personnel in the front office to study the situation and make that decision. Do you really think many of us here are qualified to narrow down a top 3 list of potential special teams coordinator replacements? Can you name 3 other special teams coordinators in the NFL without looking it up?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We have personnel in the front office to study the situation and make that decision. Do you really think many of us here are qualified to narrow down a top 3 list of potential special teams coordinator replacements? Can you name 3 other special teams coordinators in the NFL without looking it up?

I think his point is that if you know he isnt good enough for the job, that must mean you know there is another coach who is better

We can say do not re-sign Kuhn but that should mean we know who is available to fill Kuhn's every single job on the team

not sure if that is his explanation, but it is one I have asked for in the past

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a ludicrous notion, gtf outta here.

Sorry; I don't invest that much time into something that doesn't pay me. coaches are a giant enigma to a lot of fans, and doubly so for those like me that hate and/or don't watch college football.

It doesn't take knowing who to bring in to be able to identify that there is an issue.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think his point is that if you know he isnt good enough for the job, that must mean you know there is another coach who is better

The important thing is that the special teams coached by Slocum made way too many mistakes over the course of this season and in the NFCCG that I don´t want to see anymore and other teams haven´t made. I don´t care who should replace Slocum but I for sure care about those mistakes not happening again.

D

Deleted member 6794

Brad Seely formerly the ST coordinator with the 49ers would be worth a look too. I'm not sure if he was retained or not with the new staff but I doubt it.

Seely was hired as the Raiders special teams coordinator yesterday.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many times this season did teams successfully run a fake field goal on the Packers? Before Sunday none that I can immediately recall. Maybe the "tell" on Jones wasn't so obvious to the Packers as to Seattle. They were looking for that, the Packers weren't.

When studying film of an opponent I'm sure teams can find many tendencies and tells they will try to exploit. Like the Packers noticing Dallas dt Jethro Pugh's high stance that set him up for the classic block by Kramer and Bowman to win the Ice Bowl. But I've never heard any one complain that the Cowboys didn't tell Pugh to get shorter.

The Packers may, in hindsight, have been smarter to play the possibility of a fake and concede the field goal instead of going for the block. How much difference does a field goal make in a 16-0 game in the third quarter?

I'm sorry but this comparison you're trying to make to 50 years ago doesn't hold up. The tools available to coaches now with replay and crystal clear video from a dozen different angles allows today's coaches to, if proactive, spot these problems before teams take advantage. That Seattle noticed this trend and would only have run the play if Jones was on says it was a pretty consistent mistake.

Let's be honest also, the work load and complexity of being a special teams coach isn't as much or complex as being a coordinator or even position coach. Special teams are practicing the same things every week... that Slocumb never noticed speaks to him being to some degree incompetent. If that was just a case of one guy ******** up the one time is not all his fault... but that this was a consistent mistake by Jones that was never addressed by coaches is pretty damming.

Special teams have been pretty inconsistent and bad under slocumb...he should be let go.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has got to cut his grad school buddy loose already. It didn't take those rankings to know his unit was garbage this year and looked unprepared.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'd be happy with the release of Slocum AND Brad Jones. Is it just me or does it seem like his name (Jones) seems to appear a lot when there is a blown coverage, mental mistake, missed tackle, etc. He is reportedly a great special teams contributor, but IMO should never be on the defensive side of the field.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Packers finished dead last in the Dallas Morning News special teams rankings: http://m.jsonline.com/sports/blogs/289585341.html
I linked that article a couple of days ago in a different thread and posted, "McCarthy shouldn't fire Slocum IMO because of the two STs screw ups in the championship game, he should fire him for his body of work as ST coordinator in Green Bay".

Look at the STs since Slocum took over as STC before the 2009 season. According to the Dallas Morning News rankings, the Packers have finished 2009: 31st, 2010: 29th; 2011: tied 13th; 2012: 12th; 2013: 19th; 2014: 32nd. The average is about a 22.5 finish. I’m not saying these rankings are the end-all be-all of STs evaluations but I think these numbers agree with the “eye test”. After a couple of years in the top half of STs rankings, it looks like he’s backsliding. Certainly all the blocked kicks had to play a big part in the rankings this season but they should. And Slocum doesn’t have injuries as an excuse this season. I think he should be gone and I don’t agree with the idea of having to name his replacement before advocating his firing because we as fans aren’t plugged into the NFL on that level. An NFL GM, HC, or even someone else in the front office should be aware of up and coming assistant coaches. I suggest picking the best one available if an established STC isn’t available. Slocum is mediocre at best, it’s time he goes.

BTW, when McCarthy and others talk about "self-scouting" they are describing the process Slocum failed to adequately perform regarding Jones on the FG block team. As Bagadeezo4posted, Slocum's self-scouting job is much easier than other coordinators because he has fewer plays each game to review.

D

Deleted member 6794

Look at the STs since Slocum took over as STC before the 2009 season. According to the Dallas Morning News rankings, the Packers have finished 2009: 31st, 2010: 29th; 2011: tied 13th; 2012: 12th; 2013: 19th; 2014: 32nd. The average is about a 22.5 finish.

I think I read somewhere that the Packers are dead last in a combined ranking of the DMN special teams ranking since Slocum took over.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All they did in the first place is fire a bad ST coordinator (Mike Stock) and replace him with his understudy (Slocum). I don't know why or how they ever thought that would be a smashing success.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
To read the comments of Coach McCarthy, Slocum isn't going anywhere. Even though guys like Joe DeCamilus or Coach Toub would be excellent replacements, McCarthy seems to be making more excuses for the special teams coach than a kid who brings your daughter home after 11. The head coach has major blinders on and Ted Thompson needs to tell him so.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did he actually say he was retaining the worst special teams coordinator in football? I thought he said he was evaluating staff this week and he was not happy with that units play in the NFC Championship and that their mistakes seem to be magnified as they happen at the worst time possible.

Members online

Latest posts