For those of you expecting a quiet offseason...

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
c_mac said:
I'm as big of a Favre guy as there is but let's face it - Favre has been awful in most post season games in the last 10 years. I'm glad we did so well this year and Favre looked good most of the time but I'm not convinced that maybe this last year wasn't the best shot at one more Super Bowl for Favre.

We played 2 playoff games this year.

the first one, he was absolutely brilliant.

the second one, the Giants completely shut us down. I'd give more credit to the Giants than blame on Favre. Favre still helped produce 20 points against that Giants D, in horrible conditions. That's saying something.

Favre and the Packers will be even better in '08. Keep the faith. We'll be okay. I think '95='07.

I said over the last 10 years not just this last year and sorry Favre was not great against the Giants at all, two senseless picks and no big plays killed us.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
c_mac said:
I said over the last 10 years not just this last year and sorry Favre was not great against the Giants at all, two senseless picks and no big plays killed us.

What about the perfect pass Favre threw to Ruvell Martin that he dropped.

Ruvell catches that pass, we got a great chance of winning that game.

If I am blaming anyone for this game it is the coaching staff.

Compare MM's approach vs. Tom Coughlin's

Offense

MM: Give Up on the struggling Running Game (eliminating playaction)
Throws lots of Screens (since they worked all year, j/k)
Game Plan away from Favre's strength: Short Pass West Coast Off.

TC: Stick with the struggling running game to keep the defense honest
Don't throw many deep passes because of the weather.
Game Plan to Eli's strength: Manageable Third Downs, 5-15 yd passes

Defense:

MM: Stick with the unsucessful 4 man rush
Don't give a struggling Al Harris any help.

TC: Start blitzing when the front 4 falters.
Give your Corners a safety blanket.

That's right I am bashing McCarthy. He had a great year, but failed his team when we needed him most.

However, I am totally stoked McCarthy got his extension. He is a young coach and will only get better. I honestly believe McCarthy can lead GB to the promise land.

GO PACKERS!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Compare MM's approach vs. Tom Coughlin's

Offense

MM:
Game Plan away from Favre's strength: Short Pass West Coast Off.

So MM was the one throwing the ball?

Also you criticize MM(which is fine, they should all get a spanking) for abandoning the run game that wasnt working, then criticize him for STICKING WITH the screen game(you know, short passes\substitute for the run game). Hmmm....

And for fun, the famous 'last throw' had 2 short routes (the tight end wasn't very far, and grant underneath wide the **** open).

By saying Favre's strength is the short throw, you're insinuating his weakness is the long ball, which I won't buy for a second. Not one second.

I won't argue to death that MM got outcoached(I'm not sure he did), but Coughlin's been in the league forever, and MM is in his 2nd year. A VERY IMPRESSIVE 2nd year. Like young players, he hopefully continues to improve(8-8 to 13-3 says he can).

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
then criticize him for STICKING WITH the screen game(you know, short passes\substitute for the run game). Hmmm....

There is big big difference between a slant and a screen. Screens require run blocking. Slants do not. The SCREEN game was **** all year. The SHORT (FORWARD) PASS kicked ***.

By saying Favre's strength is the short throw, you're insinuating his weakness is the long ball, which I won't buy for a second. Not one second.

In horrible weather, the long ball is the enemy of EVERY QUARTERBACK. The QB can't grip the ball as well (which will take some distance off his throw) and the weather and wind give the DB's more time to catch up to the "open" WR, adjust, and make plays.

(8-8 to 13-3 says he can).

13-3 to Super Bowl Victory says he will. :D

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the patriots should cut brady for looking like crap against the giants in the superbowl...lol
:wink: :lol:
Yeah.......the guy is washed up! They need to put his backup in there!
(Who IS his backup, anyway???)

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packman31 said:
I guess the patriots should cut brady for looking like crap against the giants in the superbowl...lol
:wink: :lol:
Yeah.......the guy is washed up! They need to put his backup in there!
(Who IS his backup, anyway???)

Matt Cassel ;)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also you criticize MM(which is fine, they should all get a spanking) for abandoning the run game that wasnt working, then criticize him for STICKING WITH the screen game(you know, short passes\substitute for the run game). Hmmm....

Let it be known. Donald Driver shouldn't get a spanking.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Let it be known. Donald Driver shouldn't get a spanking.

Oh he's gonna get one from me, but it has nothing to do with -- ok, I can't go through with that sentence.

Driver's hot though.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I do have a question about the game against New York: What happened to our slant passes?

The Giants for the most part played inside of the reciever making the clean release to the outside, but again in my opinion we didn't use the motion properly to get someone free underneath.

There were definately other factors, but the one that jumps out the most is the defenders taking away the inside releases.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:eek: Good post Toppackerfan; and as usual most of the sawdust heads here think he's just blowing smoke. If they really want to see some improvement and a return to a Super Bowl they could try to understand the validity in this post. Of course it makes sense and that may be its biggest shortcoming for posting here.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:eek: Good post Toppackerfan; and as usual most of the sawdust heads here think he's just blowing smoke. If they really want to see some improvement and a return to a Super Bowl they could try to understand the validity in this post. Of course it makes sense and that may be its biggest shortcoming for posting here.

uh, problem?

Reaction score

The only one that seemed to not even be willing to consider the points in McGinn's article was fuzznuts.

Not sure what you've been reading...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts