1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

For the Wisconsin Residents..

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Pack93z, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    How many of you Guys and Gals are hunting this season?

Do you still hunt or hunt with a group drivin and posting?

Do you head off to camp for the season?

Trophy hunt or meat?

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    My "brudder in law" will be picking me up tomorrow, and we will be heading up to my sister in law's place. There are usually 7 in our hunting group. Me, my brudder in law and nephew, my sister in law (yes, she hunts, and is a DEADLY shot!) her boyfriend, and a couple of his friends.
    With my poor balance, i usually find a spot on a fire lane or something like that, put down my portable chair and hot seat, and wait it out.
    I consider any deer i get a "trophy". I hunt on public land, where there are whole days where you don't even see a deer. So if you are picky, chances are your freezer will be empty. If a buck comes by, I'll take him. If a doe does, i'll take her.
    All youse guyz that are going out, remember SAFETY FIRST!!! Treat ALL hunters as if they were loaded!!! :wink:

3. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Have fun Cheesey and good luck!

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you! I'm pretty hyped about the hunt this year. I just have a good feeling about it. Saturday it's supposed to be nice, but I'm worried about Sunday. They are talking possible rain, which can make it NASTY sitting outside. I do have a portable ground blind that i can set up if it gets nasty, so it can at least get me somewhat out of the rain. I'm hoping it will be nice and not needed. Everytime I check the weather channel, it seems they change the dang forcast!

5. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Is it safe to hunt while loaded? :-?

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    You caught the joke Trippster!!!
    (I stole that one from "Banana's at Large" and "Da Turdy Point Buck!")

7. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I used to bow hunt, but never hunted with a gun. Havent hunted in over 8 years now living in CA. I used to love the peace and quiet sitting in the woods just hearing sounds from different animals all around me. I loved to eat the venison, but I still love beef more. LOL

8. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Have a safe hunting trip everyone!!!

9. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Bow season, to me, is more enjoyable than gun season other than kicking back with the boys at camp and having a good ol' time. But as far as purely hunting, I will take the late September bow hunt over cold, wet and greyish gun season.

10. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am counting the hours to the annual pilgramage to Wisconsin. I hunt with my dad and my son and this is our 4th year. Prior to my son coming of age I took a few years off and tried to hunt Iowa instead, but it was not the same.

GOOD LUCK and safety first.

11. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    To everybody, The best of luck to you in getting your buck. Dont forget the game on Sunday.

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Well......... I'm back from the hunt. The time went SOOOO fast. I got back late last night. I didn't get a buck, but Monday at 2pm i got a nice doe. It was only a 60 yard shot, and i dropped it on the spot. So i will have venison for the freezer. My sister in law got a 3 point buck Saturday, and my nephew got a 6 pointer Sunday.
    I saw a total of 9 deer the 3 days i hunted. I got a shot at a doe Sunday, but i misgudged the distance and shot under it. I thought it was only about 100 yards away, and when i walked it off it was 170 yards.
    All in all it was a great time!

13. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Congrats! So when do we get to eat deer chili? :D :lol:

14. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    LOL! Yeah.....i should be getting my deer back from the processor in the next day or two. Whats REALLY good is venison roast, slow cooked for about 12 hours. It's REALLY good! Plus i'm having some garlic summer sausage made, and some cheddarwurst! (But those won't be ready till sometime early next year).

15. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I got my deer back today already! Hows THAT for fast service? I had my pics done too. Here's one of my sister in law Penny, with her 3 point buck, my nephew Nathan with his 6 pointer, and me with my doe.

16. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Nice deer there Cheesemeister... we have 3 bucks and 2 does out of nine so far... myself... only 1 grouse so far... haven't seen a flippin thing yet.

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    You haven't even SEEN a deer? Wow.....that sucks. Opening day, i sat on one spot for all 10 hours, yet the 4 deer i saw were 3 at once, running across the right of way i was sitting on, and one 13 minutes later, too far away to tell if it was a buck or a doe. So the other 9 plus hours was nothing. It takes alot of patince!
    Keep at it, and let us know how you do!

18. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Tomorrow and Sunday will come around, the woods gets quiet and they will start to move again.. I only hunted Saturday and Yesterday, other than that I worked and had family things going on. Dang sister comming home in hunting season. :lol:

19. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Man.......they need to reschedule Thanksgiving! LOLOL!!! :lol:

20. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, you mean the part where you go in somewhere, spend time "photoshopping" and posting on PF.com and PP.O, and then get paid for it? :p

21. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, living in California, I rarely hunt any more. It's not a hunter friendly state. :(

22. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Nope.......to many "tree huggers" out there. It's a shame too........there are too many animals in Californy.

23. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The sad thing is, California's a beautiful place. it has a lot of open space, and some nice places to hunt. I've been hunting here before and had a great time each time.

It's the holier than thou people who live in the suburbs, because of course they're the resident experts of all things outdoors, because they go camping once a year.

Heh. Don't get me started, Alan. I'll never shut up. ;)

24. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yup! I know what you mean! It's those that have NOOOO Idea what true conservation is! They think "If we just leave "Bambi" alone, he will live happily ever after! It's those mean HUNTERS that make deer suffer!" They never consider that deer are like other animals.......they just keep multiplying. If Wisconsin suddenly cut off deer hunting, the deer population would spiral out of control, setting up a MASS starvation. This WOULD happen, not a worse case scenario. Think about it.........the pre hunt estimate was 1.6 to 1.8 million deer. Hunters will probably take away 400 thousand or so. If there was no hunting, that 1.8 million deer would reproduce, making probably over 2.5 million deer by next summer. Then you are set up for calamity. But of course the animal rights people arn't the ones that go out in the woods after a harsh winter, and see the dead deer that yarded up, and starved to death. Alot less humane of a death then a hunter taking some of the deer for food, thus leaving more food for the remaining deer. I have seen the dead deer, where hunters were not able to get back into the deep woods. It's NOT a pretty site. But PETA never bothers to have a "reality check" before they go on their marches.
    I could go on and on........but i'll save it for later. :wink:

25. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You're preaching to the choir, my friend. :)