for the sake of a new topic:

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25133038/report-browns-90-moved-on-from-johnny-manziel

For the sake of argument and thought, would anyone be interested, at a very low price (5th pick or later) in johnny manziel?

I am the first who saw his meltdown coming, and knew adding $$$ to the manziel would be a recipe for disaster...

BUT...

The kid seems to be taking rehab seriously, keeping himself in for much longer than the normal 28 days, pushing around 60 days now.

He is there one would assume to fix his life.

The talent is there, and we are in the market for a project qb.

If we could get the talent for little, and put him into McCarthy's qb camp, would their be any takers?

Let me finish by saying this is pure hypethetic and would never happen, but with talk about qbs coming in to talk and maybe a mid rounder being drafted, would anyone give this kid a shot if the risk was minor, or is this a case of the known vs the unknown?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heck no. That kid's a trainwreck and I just don't see his skillset translating to QB in the NFL.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I didnt think he'd be a good NFL qb based on his skill set. Toss in his mental makeup and I want nothing to do with him

OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His draft profile:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/johnny-manziel?id=2543462

He's by no means a perfect project, but between now and the end of the month, we could wind up with 1st rd talent for a 5th? I was high on lyerlas talent and many here were too. His was a crash and burn, but I think were the situation right, and his rehab real, this could be a great low risk high reward play, the opposite of the browns at high risk, high reward.

OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again simply spitballing, not thinking he would take over for aaron in 5 years.

But if he were to progress and he were able to show talent and that he has changed for the better, who wouldn't want to flip him for a 3rd or more in 2 years if able?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am absolutely interested. JM was drafted #22 overall less than twelve months ago. He has a ton of talent and would get a great opportunity to learn behind Rodgers. McCarthy is the supposed to be the quarterback whisperer so why not let him work with JM to realize his potential. It is the ultimate low risk, high reward opportunity.

There was a time the Packers would develop quarterbacks and trade them at an inflated value (Matt Hasselbeck, Aaron Brooks and Doug Pederson).

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a year of maturity, at a normal rate, this would make Johnny Manziel about 14 years old mentally.

Great story I heard. This reporter was sitting behind Johnny at an award dinner. JM's uncle was at his table and said something to JM. JM sneared at him and said, "why don't you just shut the F up?" JM's parents were at the table as well and said nothing. Kid has no respect. Kid had lousy parents, plain and simple. I don't know if that is set straight in a year or two. My bet is he is out of football in 2 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm purely thinking of 2 things: his dedication to treating his addictions, and mm ability to coach up qbs like crazy.

A lot of times when addicts are serious about quitting, they dive headfirst (addiction) into another positive outlet for their obsessions.

If his is turning his pure athletic talent into NFL style qb work, then that would be something to see.

Having a qbs head coach who is driven to churning out qbs through obsessive study, film, fundamental qb stuff (footwork, reads, presence, ball placement, reads, etc.) Would only feed that need if present.

Personally, if the kid had his head straight, I would have no problem with his ocd being fed in mm qb school.

Reaction score
Just going to echo what others have said. He's a first round talent who I think could become a good NFL QB if he commits himself. Having some humility beaten into him by sitting behind an elite QB worked out pretty good for Rodgers, maybe it'll work for Manziel. If we can get him for a relatively low cost, I'm all for it.

Can we get him for a low price, though? I don't see the sense in Cleveland trading him for a late-ish draft pick (the example in the OP) while he's on a rookie contract.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Who would want a guy like this in their locker room? This clown is a walking media circus. You want to risk ******** up team chemistry and causing a ridiculous level of distraction for a snot nose punk backup QB? This sounds like something the Raiders, Cowboys or Jets would do. We are WAY too good to be bringing in jackwagons.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's worth trading a 7th round pick to get him. Most 7th rounders never translate into anything even remotely serviceable, but Manziel has at least SOME potential to be a decent backup. Plus we could groom him for a year or 2 and then trade him for a 6th or earlier round pick in the future. I really see no major downside to bringing him to GB.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giving up on a first round pick after one season is part of the reason the Browns are continually not good. If the report is true.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Tebow was (supposedly) first round talent too. I wouldn't want him in the locker room. I used to go to garage sales to look for things I wanted/needed cheap. Sometimes I'd see something I DIDNT need or want, but it was dirt cheap. I could have bought it and probably resold it for a few bucks profit. But I don't need it, I'm not going to garage sales to buy stuff to sell, I'm looking for stuff I actually NEED!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah! Who would want a reckless, cocky, arrogant, young, just out of rehab QB who washed out on another team because he was too busy partying to take his job seriously?!?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

(Drops mic)

D

Deleted member 6794

Again simply spitballing, not thinking he would take over for aaron in 5 years.

But if he were to progress and he were able to show talent and that he has changed for the better, who wouldn't want to flip him for a 3rd or more in 2 years if able?

No way, in addition teams don't give up early draft picks for backup QBs anymore, just take a look at what the Patriots got in return for Ryan Mallett.

Having some humility beaten into him by sitting behind an elite QB worked out pretty good for Rodgers, maybe it'll work for Manziel.

I'm shocked that a Packers fan brings up Rodgers (who has been a class act since coming to Green Bay while going through some tough times sitting on the bench for three years and the circus of 2008) to compare him to a clown like Manziel. :rolleyes:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, some of you are the most arrogant, self centered, egotistical and judgmental people I have ever had the pleasure of associating with. Not a one of you is so damn perfect that you have the right to judge people the way you do. I have seen you type the same tripe about a variety of players. Get over yourselves, your not that special.

I would be willing to bet everyone of you were a "clown" or a "train wreck" at some point in your life but you picked yourself up, dusted yourself off and probably became decent human beings but you did it without the crushing weight of fame and the 24 hour news cycle.

And so ends my arrogant, sell centered, egotistical and judgmental post. Carry on.

D

Deleted member 6794

Again the browns are on record and ready to deal.

Worst case....

What do we lose in this?

The Packers would lose a draft pick for acquiring him which we could spend on a developmental prospect at the position. It's possible he will be a distraction in the locker room.

What do you think we would gain by signing him???

Reaction score
I'm shocked that a Packers fan brings up Rodgers (who has been a class act since coming to Green Bay while going through some tough times sitting on the bench for three years and the circus of 2008) to compare him to a clown like Manziel. :rolleyes:
I get the impression that Rodgers was pretty arrogant coming out of college, too, although not to the same level as Manziel. He said himself that dropping in the draft was the best thing that could've happened. Manziel had that but maybe he also needs what Rodgers had in sitting and learning the NFL behind an elite QB. That's not the same as not being the starter; there's an acceptance that comes with being second to Rodgers or Favre that I can't imagine would come with being second to Brian Hoyer.

I'm comparing the two of them because there are perceived similarities. I'm not saying Rodgers has the same flaws to the same extent as Manziel or that Manziel will become as good as Rodgers but I definitely think it's worth a shot.

D

Deleted member 6794

I get the impression that Rodgers was pretty arrogant coming out of college, too, although not to the same level as Manziel. He said himself that dropping in the draft was the best thing that could've happened. Manziel had that but maybe he also needs what Rodgers had in sitting and learning the NFL behind an elite QB. That's not the same as not being the starter; there's an acceptance that comes with being second to Rodgers or Favre that I can't imagine would come with being second to Brian Hoyer.

I'm comparing the two of them because there are perceived similarities. I'm not saying Rodgers has the same flaws to the same extent as Manziel or that Manziel will become as good as Rodgers but I definitely think it's worth a shot.

A lot of people still consider Rodgers arrogant, most likely because they have troubles dealing with confident people. Manziel has been a distraction since entering the league and doesn't possess the talents the Packers are looking for in a QB. I'd rather take a day 3 gamble on a guy like Sean Mannion who played in a pro-style offense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't think of 2 players more different than the dbag in Cleveland and Rodgers. Rodgers was confident in himself, yes, and worked his *** off to get where he is today. He didn't strike me as particularly good coming out of college after watching him in preseason action, but he knew how to **** and get to work and what needed working on and showed improvement every single year till he got his chance.

Manziel?? He could scramble and throw jump balls to wide open receivers in college. Yay, Johnny! He didn't think he had to work in college, and he didn't. Some people can get away with it for a while. The exact reasons i thought he'd flop in the NFL are the reasons he flopped so far in the NFL? can he change it? I really doubt it. He doesn't seem to exhibit any of the qualities of a guy that has just screwed up and wants to change. He has all the qualities of a spoiled brat that realized that once he got out of high school his big fish little pond world suddenly changed and he can't hack it.

I don't buy the addiction part, i think it's just a silly plan devised by him and his agent to help him save face. Give him an excuse for his **** poor behavior and try and make him look like a "victim" to some.

and comparing to Favre? yeah, they both liked to party. The defining difference is one still knew how to get to work. Manziel still thinks he doesn't have to. Lots of young guys don't dedicate themselves fully to football, but they still work when it's time to work. and regardless, watch them throw a football. You think Manziel has 50% of the arm Favre had??? There's a reason the team that just drafted him is more than willing to just rid themselves of him, cut ties, move on, kick him to the curb, etc. From the coaches to players in that locker room, it seems most were tired of that guy. it takes a special kind of stupid to alienate yourself that quickly from your coaches and teammates.

again, no thanks, not even for a 7th rounder.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, some of you are the most arrogant, self centered, egotistical and judgmental people I have ever had the pleasure of associating with. Not a one of you is so damn perfect that you have the right to judge people the way you do. I have seen you type the same tripe about a variety of players. Get over yourselves, your not that special.

I would be willing to bet everyone of you were a "clown" or a "train wreck" at some point in your life but you picked yourself up, dusted yourself off and probably became decent human beings but you did it without the crushing weight of fame and the 24 hour news cycle.

And so ends my arrogant, sell centered, egotistical and judgmental post. Carry on.
Hey, you know me? Difference is, I am not trying to play for the Packers. You can be the biggest ****** in the world, so what? I don't care. But I would not want that person on the Packers as it is a huge distraction. Talented or not - some people have a negative overall impact on a team because of their attitude despite the apparent accomplishments on the field.

Giving up on a first round pick after one season is part of the reason the Browns are continually not good. If the report is true.
The Browns were very foolish to use a 1st on him. Their foolish mistake does not establish his value. I would put his value now as I did then. I figure he is worth a warm bucket of pi$$.

I think it's worth trading a 7th round pick to get him. Most 7th rounders never translate into anything even remotely serviceable, but Manziel has at least SOME potential to be a decent backup. Plus we could groom him for a year or 2 and then trade him for a 6th or earlier round pick in the future. I really see no major downside to bringing him to GB.

Donald Driver, Sam Barrington, Matt Flynn, Scott Wells, Mark Tauscher, were all 7th rounders in the last 15 years. Many more misses, but there are some nice players as well. There were another 5 or 6 names of guys who played a little or played for other teams.

PackerFanInVa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO no to Manziel. Maybe the rehab works for him and he comes out better but I just don't see him being an asset to the team.

Members online

Latest posts