For laughs: Whitlock on 4 two years ago

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assume it was the talent deficiency that made him throw that interception in the championship game to essentially end the Viking's superbowl dream.

Not the fact that he throw the ball across his shoulders while on the run, directly into coverage.

No.. never.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
He may be an author, he may be columnist, he may be a writer, but that is not synonymous with journalism. I have given a dictionary definition of journalism and an encyclopedic article regarding journalism and both indicate that "journalism" involves the reporting or news and facts. You have given your opinion of what journalism is without reference to any outside source.
We are going to have to agree to disagree because I am done with this discussion.

BoilerUp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy lack of paragraphs Batman!

How in the world did you guys read that wall of text?

Reaction score
" I'll be asking my peers in the jury room to sentence Thompson to the unemployment line and hand Favre the league's MVP Award. Sure, that’s not knee-jerk, right? That's right. Halfway through the season Favre is the clear-cut MVP. Heh. It ain't even close. Hahaha… Right now Favre is sportsman of the year. Hahahaha… That's not hyperbole. PFFHAHAHAHAHAA!!! "

lol... dude gonna need some of those old people teeth (that d-word) for all the crow he should be busy eating.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I just watched the Bayless video and it reminded me of this thread. First, I have to say Whitlock is an opinion columnist so his job is indeed to give his opinion and he is not constrained by what should be the duty of journalists to report the news as objectively as possible. Even so I regard him as a dunce.

First off, I think Whitlock is a great journalist/columnist. His job is to provoke, to raise reader interest, to really sell an opinion.

Yes, Whitlock looks like an idiot. But the point of his job is to strongly commit to a point of view.
But it sure was fun to read Whitlock's Twitter account during Rodgers' playoff run.
He was making ridiculous comments -- that weren't meant to be taken seriously -- that Favre would've perfomed better in the Falcons game.

I disagree with this description of the job of a columnist. IMO the job of a columnist is to entertain by providing insight into whatever subject he or she addresses and not to advance ridiculous and outrageous ideas, even if (s)he “commits” to them. When columnists (and whatever Bayless is) have to resort to that and when they include juvenile name-calling, as Whitlock did, they reveal themselves to be fools and IMO incapable of doing their jobs well. Any fool can call Ted Thompson names; any fool can attack the leading candidate for MVP just because it’s different and will attract attention. Defecating in public attracts attention too. It doesn’t require any unique talent either, anyone can do it. But I don’t want to watch even if the defecator “commits” to it.

Self-deprecating humor is one thing, attempting to cover one’s **** is another and IMO that is what Whitlock was attempting to do with his tweets, as if he really didn’t believe what he had previously written. IMO it’s a shame this kind of thing passes as entertainment. But hey, this is the United States of America: We’re free to make mistakes, be fools and to appreciate what I consider the drivel of fools.

Members online

Latest posts