For everyone who thinks Sherman inherited a loaded team...

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In Rhodes' 8 – 8 year the Packers had zero pro-bowlers and a team divided by fighting and dissention.

In Mike Sherman's first year, you have only Darren Sharper in the pro-bowl. Reggie is gone. Chmura is gone. It's Leroy Butler's last full season. Antonio Freeman has two subpar seasons, not reaching 1000 yards in Sherman's first two year before being cut (despite a monster contract). For God’s sake Billy (i-am-the-greatest) Schroeder is their best receiver. Winters is on his way out and Mike Flanagan starts 2 games. Mike Wahle starts 6 games at LT and has his confidence shattered. Wolf has made the decision to move Verba inside to LG where the starter is a stiff – Verba declares he is gone before Sherman’s first season. Marco Rivera is there, but really hasn't done anything to establish himself as an elite linemen yet. Levens is not living up to his monster contract and the Cap situation is choking the Pack.

They have just lost Joe Andruzzi to New England. They are about to lose Ross Verba to free agency.

They are about to start a 7th round rookie Right Tackle, Tauscher. They had just given a 3 year deal to Russell Maryland, who is out of football the next season. The other DT is Hunt, in his second year.. after a whopping half sack rookie year. John Thiery and Vonnie Holiday are the two DE's.

The LB's are Bernado Harris, who's only got 3 more years in football left before he's out of the NFL. Na'il Diggs a rookie 4th rounder and Nate Wayne.

DB's are Sharper. Who up until this point has been a major disappointment – and fans are calling for his head. The aforementioned Butler who's unfortunately is about to retire in a year after a serious injury. A quickly declining Tyrone Williams and Mike McKenzie, a promising second year guy.

Ahman Green is about to get his FIRST shot traded for having had a grand total of 61 carries in his two years previous and a reputation as a fumbler that will never be a starting back – as per Holmgren

Brett Favre is the one thing that is sure and steady.

Everything else is a giant question mark. A whole lot of youth, mixed in with a big pile of disappointments and a smattering of "about to be washed ups".

You know, they started FOUR!! rookies in Sherman’s first season.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: For everyone who thinks Sherman inherited a loaded team.

Bruce, you bring up an excellent point. I think it's easy for us to say that team was loaded because of what some of those players have done since that time.

Just like them we don't know the potential of our young guys and where we could be.

Great perspective!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nice post Bruce and actually very accurate. I still think Mike Sherman isn't the man for the job in Green Bay.

Reaction score

Bruce, its been a while. I just got caught up to your recent posts. THANK YOU! I agree with you completly. Yes MS has made mistakes, but who hasn't? Point is, unlike many on this forum who have lost faith in MS, above is proof of the great things he has done. Ron wolf must have liked something bout MS, because he sure as hell wouldn't hire a random guy of the street.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You are absolutly right. You are allways going to disagree with a coach now and then but Sherman stepped in at a bad time and he has done a good job overall.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Up until this season, Javon Walker was the only offensive starter who was acquired by Sherman. So Wolf left a lot of offensive talent behind, but Mike Sherman is the guy who put it all together, and he deserves a lot of credit for that. Your post is a reminder that when Sherman took over it was not at all obvious how all of these players were going to form a coherent unit. The coaching staff especially deserves credit for developing the offensive line and seventh round pick Donald Driver.

The defensive talent was a lot more spotty, and Sherman's failing was that he was never quite able to get the defense over the hump. His best acquisitions were Al Harris, Nick Barnett, and Aaron Kampman. I lose sleep thinking about how things may have been different had Jim Bates come along a year or two earlier, when the offense was still good.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

good posts by all, and I agree w/ Greg. MS was not very good at establishing the defense for this team. I really don't question any individual move that he made (except for KGB) but he just didn't have the instinct to put together enough quality defensive starters.

On offense, however, the best running attack in Packers history developed under his watch, and he also established one of the better receiving tandems that the Packers have seen in recent history last year.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My goodness Bruce.....why would you bring FACTS and STATISTICS to back your argument with respect to Sherman. Remember you only need two things for this discusion.....the 4th and 26 game in Philly and the fact that Sherman has a "fat ***".

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Rationalize as you will...Bruce..

But that team..3 years removed from the SB..was better than the team Big Nurse has fielded for the last 2-3 years...

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

musccy, as yo stated he had developed the Packers best running attack during his time. In fact, he converted this team to a power run offense. Doesn't it kinda cork your *** that Sherman NEVER showed any faith in the teams strength (running) when it mattered most (4th and 1 Eagles playoff loss)? And that to this day the guy abandons the run without hesitation, even when working well (1st Bears loss this season).

The guy methodically transformed this team to power run, but refuses to run the ball at the most critical times...especially when he has the running game in high gear and shuts it down for TR's beloved 40 yard lobs!! Do you get the contradiction here?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is a good thread so far, DePack. Why bait the flamers?

digs, I think the stuff about Sherman abandoning the run in key situations is overblown, although he has been guilty of it at times. I also remember how fans were howling after the playoff game against Seattle when Sherman (or Rossley) called a handoff on third and short and it went for no gain.

Members online

Latest posts