For all you starks lovers

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Let the drooling and discussion commence.
What do you like so much about this guy over what we have? (Don't just bash on our current rbs either. give legit reason)
Who in the NFL does he look most like?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ3dPkL0pr4]YouTube - Former Bulls RB James Starks Drafted by the Green Bay Packers[/ame]

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's more like we have no run game. Some people think it's because BJ can't run. They want to try Starcks. And why not? He's a RB not dead wood.

I think it's because our O-line sucks at the run game because the coaches are not willing to dedicate themselves to it. And on the verry average O-line, everyone but the coaches, agrees that Daryn Colledge is incompetent. Daryn's latest gaffes cost us the biggest game since the Giants playoff.

TJ Lang and Spitz have paid their dues too. They deserve a chance to show what they can do. They shouldn;t have to wait for an opportunity created by IR like Bishop did.

One of them deserves a chance to start Sunday.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
It's more like we have no run game. Some people think it's because BJ can't run. They want to try Starcks. And why not? He's a RB not dead wood.

I think it's because our O-line sucks at the run game because the coaches are not willing to dedicate themselves to it. And on the verry average O-line, everyone but the coaches, agrees that Daryn Colledge is incompetent. Daryn's latest gaffes cost us the biggest game since the Giants playoff.

TJ Lang and Spitz have paid their dues too. They deserve a chance to show what they can do. They shouldn;t have to wait for an opportunity created by IR like Bishop did.

One of them deserves a chance to start Sunday.

Good analysis. These are more or less my sentiments on the matter.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good analysis. These are more or less my sentiments on the matter.
Cant wait to see what he can do. To have success behind this oline you need to run full speed ahead and hope there is a hole when you get there lol.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not a Starks fan - I never appreciated the RBs who run so upright. The only really successful one was Marcus Allen.

But, what we have going now just isn't working. Therefore, trying something different can only make things better at this point.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly haven't seen enough of Starks's play to form an opinion of him either way. I think we need to see more of what he has before deciding anything. It's hard to make a judgment on a relatively unknown quantity.

SCpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not saying hes as good as him but Starks' running style reminds me alot of D-Mac (Darren McFadden). Both run in a very upright position with deceiving speed. Both are 6'2 and weigh around 210, Packers profile actually has Starks listed 5lbs heavier than D-Mac but I find that hard to believe. Again I'm not saying Starks is the next D-Mac but when I watch those highlights it really does remind me alot of McFadden back at Arkansas.

L

Lunchboxer

Well anyone is better at RB at this point.

In that ATL game we could not convert a 3rd and 1 by pounding it, and our leading rusher of the game was Rodgers thats pretty bad when our leading rusher is our QB.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need something in the run game. All I know of Starks is his youtube videos, but he seems to be a pretty fast back with fairly good vision. Im not sure he can hold up in the NFL but its worth a chance with our recent run game. Another reason our run game is so poor is playcalling and never commiting to it, but I'd like to see what he can do and more of Nance, I like his game from the little we've seen

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I am not a Starks fan - I never appreciated the RBs who run so upright. The only really successful one was Marcus Allen.

But, what we have going now just isn't working. Therefore, trying something different can only make things better at this point.

What some people seem to forget is that if it somehow doesn't work out...we can go back to what we had before.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, IMHO, it's more the OL than the RB.

Starks may be the solution, but everything (1 1/2 years without football, not a highly recruited back, 6th rounder) indicates he's not.

I can only hope.

Our biggest problem isn't running per se, but converting short yardage and the ability to utilize playfakes. We just need to be able to do that, and the passing O will take care of the rest.

I believe we can achieve that with better playcalling...

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy Crap! I love this guy!

Thank you! he better start Sunday.

Havners Heroes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who we have at running back doesn't really make a difference as long as our offensive line keeps failing at opening holes. They've gotten a lot of praise for their improved pass protection this year, but somehow have avoided much criticism for their run blocking. It's unfair that a lot of the blame has fallen on Jackson when most of the time he's getting hit 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage (and gee, SOMEHOW the penetration is always coming from left guard spot...). I don't care who you are, you're not going to be successful when that's what you have to deal with.

I'm all for giving Starks a shot, but I wouldn't really expect any different results until the offensive line play drastically improves in the running game.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
RB's are a dime a dozen. It's all about the offensive line. Look at cedric benson for example

ilovemypackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Have you seen Peterson run? He's straight up right, as is many Olympic sprinters.

Whatever works for Starks is okay by me. I'm impressed with his vision and break-away speed...of course it may not be what it was pre-injury, but at this point ANYTHING would be an improvement!

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offensive line first, running back second. At least for the first 3 or 4 yards in most cases. Asking a running back to get positive yards without adequate blocking isn't really fair. Sure, some of the greatest running backs of all time could do it more often than the less skilled. Yet every back, from terrible to average to great, has success with good O-Line play. Denver did it in their SB years. Cinci did it last year. I think an upgrade to the offensive line yields better results than an upgrade at running back. I think if we can get one more solid guard, and one more solid tackle prospect, then the Pack will be in a much better situation with their running game. It is after the first 3-4 yards that really separates the great backs from the rest. The great ones have the skill and/or ability to make the one guy miss, run his *** over, or cut it back to an open area most backs didn't even see. I think LT is a perfect example. The offensive line play in terms of run blocking was gradually deteriorating in San Diego over the past 2-3 years. Almost everyone, sports fan and analyst alike said that LT was done or he should hang it up. The Jets who have one of the better if not one of the best run blocking offensive lines in the NFL pick LT up, and he is making plays again. Even in San Diego when he wasn't doing that great he was still a threat to go all the way, especially as a reciever. In New York, he is a full blown monster again.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Eric ****erson had an upright style too. I didn't see much on any of Stark's videos to show what he's like right at the LOS, most of it is once he's broken free. Which is excellent if you can get him to the second level. As everyone notices, our backs are not getting to the second level. That is on the O-line.
I also get we're a passing team so that's the most important, but in the end, you have to at least have the threat of a running game. I wish we had spread Atlanta's defense first, then gone to shotgun draws and the like.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts