For all you people who think GREAT QB's....

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF you are a fan as you claim net....then you are just trying to flame. When mentioning Brady you refuse to mention the people around both. Brett Favre playing for the New England Patriots doesn't have 29 ints and probably wins a Super Bowl.

I usually enjoy your post and always knew you weren't a big fan of Favre's but lately you've been piling on. At one point you say Brett is "in the upper echelon of QB's in the league" yet your overall opinion is that it is time for Favre to retire and Aaron Rodgers to take over. Why would you force one of the "top echelon" QB's to retire if not for pure jealousy and ego. This team will never be TT's until Favre retires. Favre overshadows everybody. Those ungrateful "Packer fans" that want to force Favre out should look in the mirror and ask why? I know the answer in your case net. Because he has overshadowed your 1960's hero Bart Starr.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was in the upper echelon THIS YEAR. Next year he's one year older and there's going to be fewer of his buds playing.

I'm not making ANY, repeat ANY, of these decisions. They are being made by Ted Thompson.

I would prefer to have Sherman around, too, but he's gone.

I'm a Packer fan to the end. But I'm simply looking at what is on the table, not what fantasies I can dream up. I still would like to have Bart Starr at QB, but that isn't possible. That doesn't make me ungrateful that he can't play anymore. Please don't make this personal. DePack: when Brett retires are the Packers done? No. What Ted is doing is simply laying the foundation for a solid future. Many *****ed about Sherman and his personnel policies killing the team. Now Ted comes in and makes changes and that is bad, too. I truly think some of you have really lost your minds with Favre adoration. He is not the Green Bay Packers. He is among the top two QB's to have worn the jersey. But as much as I don't like it either, a new day is coming. If you want to be bitter that TED THOMPSON, TED THOMPSON, TED THOMPSON, NOT net is doing this, well, I can't help that.

I truly don't think it has hit some of you what Ted is doing. Repeat, I'm not making the call, it's Ted Thompson. He's cleaning house(he started last year) and there will be a NEW COACH here this week.

(See post on Sean Payton).

If Brett comes back, he'll be welcomed. But as Boomer Esiason pointed out on the NFL pregame show, the new coach isn't going to let Brett take days and meetings off anymore. It's likely to be learn a new system and be back to the old days. Esiason said a veteran QB pondering retirement likely won't want to come back to that.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's TT. I think I have been consistent. I didn't question whether you were a Packer fan but rather a Favre fan. I didn't think it was possible to be one and not the other.

I've been a fan for about 40 years and for the past 15 years Brett Favre HAS been the Green Bay Packers. I'll admit to "Favre adoration". If you've been a fan for the past 15 years you can't help having it. If you don't give a **** about the man being forced out, then I have to question whether you REALLY have been paying attention.

BTW......don't recreate posts....you DID say that he IS in the top echelon.....not was.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
net said...

"I've been thinking about the reason for TT's "fresh face is needed" comment.

I think he became increasingly frustrated at Sherman and Rossley's inability to keep Brett within the game plan. What he saw, I think, was a player calling the shots. No corporation, regardless of customer/fan base, allows the employees to dictate to the management how things are going to go. Sherman had to go, I think, because he was so closely linked to Favre. I think TT is holding the door open to Favre, but under the context that he will stay under the new coaches guidelines. But I think TT would rather see Favre leave with a semblence of respectability.

My take is many of our free agents are going to bail, especially if they get offers from winning teams."

net....

i really don't understand where you're coming from at all...I do not understand your line of thinking on this. You sound like a corporate shill that is pissed off at Favre because he's a union employee that's gotten out of line....

Are you some kind of union buster..net? Is that your job in real life....?

Come on..Favre the "employee" dictating to the (Packer) corporation? Do you really believe that...?

I think that Favre AND SHerman knew that they were working without any talent at all..and that the only chance that the Packers had this year was for Favre to go for broke, or be dominated by opposing teams week after week..Hell..when you have no talent at the other skilled positions...you are not going to score..and that is exactly what we saw with the GB Packers in the red zone this year....as DePack mentioned..it is unfair to compare Favre to Brady because Brady had all of his horses on offense this year...

And our free agents our going to "bail" as you say...because they realize that TT is totally dismantling the "Packer Organization"..and making it a reclamation project...but don't expect them to "win" anytime soon...net....

But i guess with your line of thinking, what TT thinks is good for the corporation is good for the GB Packers....(and their fans)...Is that right net..?

But don't forget..net..that no company can make it without having good workers....

The problem with your little fascist model or organizations, net...is that it makes the assumption that whoever is making the decisions at the top is good, and right, and just in their decision making....

that's what they were thought over Enron too...isn't it..net...and how did that turn out?

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
The problem with your little fascist model or organizations, net...is that it makes the assumption that whoever is making decisions at the top is good, and right ,and just in their decision making....

that's what they thought over Enron too...isn't it..net...and how did that turn out?
Working out pretty well for Bill Gates... :D

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How true Ryan...........it depends on who is making the decisions. I too, when Favre took over for Majic, thought "Oh no! Some new kid! We're DONE!" And look what happened! Will we ever see another QB like Favre? I don't know. We don't "owe" him, and he doesn't "owe" us in my mind. He has been paid quite handsomely for his work, and i have paid to see him. I'd LIKE to see what he can do, with a HEALTHY team, before he rides off into the sunset on his tractor. But it's up to him.........if he wants to stay or go.
I'm a BIG Favre fan...........but an even bigger PACKER fan. I will not stop being a fan of BOTH, and when Favre retires, i will STILL be at my TV on Sundays, cheering on the Packers.

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
... I know the answer in your case net. Because he has overshadowed your 1960's hero Bart Starr.

I hate to "rain on your parade" De, but Bart won three NFL championships, whereas Brett has won only one.

Does Favre overshadow Starr? Stats-wise, maybe. Championships-wise, NO! And yes, I am a fan of #4. :eek:

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if you throw for 1 billions yards if you don't win, the wins are the only stats that matters.

Bart Starr won 3 championships.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh boy....here we go. Put Brett on that 60's team and he wins 10 championships. There are 32 teams in the league now. How many in the 60's? I love Bart Starr, he was my first favorite player. He didn't have the talent that Brett Favre had....sorry.

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Oh boy....here we go. Put Brett on that 60's team and he wins 10 championships. There are 32 teams in the league now. How many in the 60's? I love Bart Starr, he was my first favorite player. He didn't have the talent that Brett Favre had....sorry.

I have to disagree with you. Brett "Gunslinger" Favre wouldn't be allowed to play the way he does the Vince Lombardi as HC.

See also Paul Hornung and Jim Taylor in their latter years as prime examples.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks like we have a schism between the "old school" 60's Packer fans...and the fans of today?

(I also detect some animosity towards Brett Favre..which I can't figure out...)

I will only assume that a few years after he is gone...you people who are angry at him now..will be wishing you had him back!

Sherman, nice guy that he is...has mismanaged this team for the last 5-6 years...and now it is in complete decline with TT at the helm....If Sherman had been a better GM and or coach...Favre could have gone out like Elway. I blame Harlan for making Sherman GM (when he obviously wasn't cut out for it)...and for not trying to keep Holmgren....

What had been missing during those years was a defense and another high quality, veteran receiver.....

(And this year they were missing everything...)

For those who want to throw out the baby with the bathwater...get rid of Favre..and let TT totally rework this Packer team through the draft..I say to you...Welcome back to the 1970 Green Bay Packers....

YOU ASKED FOR IT!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny thing is Pack66 is that I AM old school whereas Gakk of "Bart Starr won three championships" Norway is a newbie fan. I can't understand for the life of me the lack of respect Favre gets on this board. When he comes back these douches will be singing a different tune.

I love Bart Starr but he himself admitted that Brett Favre is a much better QB than he ever was.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hell...I love Bart Starr too...

Hell..I grew up worshipping those 60's Packer teams...

(But as someone once said..."It ain't the 60's anymore..."..and "You can't go home again...")

DePack..what I don't understand is that there is plenty of time for GB to rebuild and a short time left with Favre..maybe what 2-3 years at most...?

Why are these so called "fans" in such an all-fired hurry to suck now...rather than compete for championships the next 2-3 years?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the brett favre retirement angle isn't based in animosity, more reality.

Like net said...it's becoming more apparent that TT is trying to boot out Brett...that's not based in net, Greg C, or my animosity, but in our recognition of what appears to be reality

Also, we have no clue how long Brett will be here so if you're in TT's shoes, would you want to try to structure a 4-12 team around Brett Favre if you don't know how long he'll be here...or, knowing that in all likelihood, his skills likely be declining year by year (granted, who knows how much/little)? Point being, if you're TT, that's a lot of uncertainty surrounding a large investment.

Again, none of us are denying or belittling what Brett did for this team, please understand that.

And sure, one viable option is to try one last gasp effort to build a team around Brett, but Brett needs to give some sort of a time table to the Packers, and also, realize that those approaches typically do not offer much long term stability (part of the reason for this year's struggles was due to quick fixes by MS (e.g. offensive line, Joe Johnson, etc.) and the salary cap binds it put the team in this year.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66...apparently there is a feeling amongst the ungrateful that we somehow owe Brett nothing but we owe Rodgers the keys to the franchise.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I AM old school whereas *. I can't understand for the life of me the lack of respect Favre gets on this board. When he comes back these * will be singing a different tune.

I love Bart Starr but he himself admitted that Brett Favre is a much better QB than he ever was.

Well said, I for one am tired of reading these posts from the "what have you did for me lately" crowd.

Bart Starr and Brett Favre were and are great QB's but more important, they are class human beings who deserve to be treated with respect. because they respect the game they play.

Ask Bart Starr who was the better qb him or Zeke Bratkowski, he will say Zeke Bratkowski, that is the kind of respect Bart had for the game and his teamates, he realized how lucky he was to play when and where he did, Bart Starr made himself a great qb, and remember Bart is from the old school, where the qb's called all their own plays.

As for Brett, I am tired of reading these "I love Brett Favre.....but" posts.
Brett Favre has never given less than 100% for the last 14 years. He has always put The Packers first, ALWAYS, he doesn't try to put the blame on someone else when The Packers lose, if anything he takes to much responsibility for the losses.
Brett plays the game to win, he doesn't care about personal stats, He is out there every Sunday playing with the cards delt to him. Without Brett Favre this year it would have been much uglier than it was.

When Bart left, it was a very long time before Brett showed up, so don't be in such a hurry to let Brett go, because it just might be a very long time until....................................................................???

Two quotes....Zeke Bratkowski on Bart Starr"you will never meet a nicer gentleman off the field but put him in on the field, facing a fouth and 1 play, he will cut your heart out and show it to you"(not exact but close on the quote"

Brett Favre"they pay you to practice and prepare, if you can't play for free on Sunday then you are in this game for the wrong reason"

TT, think about what you are about to do, the rest of you just think.

*Edited for personal attack. If you guys want to call someone out or bump heads do it in the Smack Area.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
Brett Favre"they pay you to practice and prepare, if you can't play for free on Sunday then you are in this game for the wrong reason"

That's always been my favorite quote from Favre...

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is so absurd about considering the Pack as a team on the verge. 4-10's no good but about 8 of those teams wouldn't have wanted to play them again.

Members online

Latest posts