For all the harping on special teams...

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In reality its lightyears better than it has been the last few years. we can actually reliably get past the 30 on kickoffs, and our kicker is back in form. Our punter is doing extremely well. yes he had one bad punt to hester that was line drive, but give the guy a break. the TD return? not his fault. that was an insane kick. crazy hangtime and iirc 56 YARDS thats like, double what we got last year. that return was a failure of the coverage team and a nicely missed holding call by the officials on #29.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Holding or not, they scored a TD. for me the jury is still out, although having Nelson take the kick off and Williams the punts does seem to be working out better than I would have thought. Nelson was a shoelace tackle away from taking one to the house.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
seriously! I am amazed by Nelson's performance this year. Last year he wasn't that great, but these first three games are way better. I'm liking Masthay so far, but god damnit! don't kick to Hester!!!

Big Dan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Iirc, Masthay was the one that stopped Hester from taking the line-drive punt to the house, and he did so with a pretty nice tackle. And the other punt was indeed 56 yards with all kinds of hang time. So far, he's a huge upgrade to what we had last year. Kicking to Hester wasn't the best move, but I don't know if that's up to him or if that's up to the coaches.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say what you want, on a kick off.........you just don't kick the ****ing thing out of bounds. You also never kick a line drive to Deven Hester. When it comes to tackling.......ya don't just throw your arm out there. I remember when I was a kid we played kill the guy with the football. That is what we called it anyhow. Self expanatory. This is not touch football or flag football. The only thing that has gotten better is Jordy Nelson taking it out past the 30 most of the time. He will break one this year I am sure.........maybe more than one.......that is if some numbnut on the otherside of the field that has nothing to do with the play doesn't get called for holding or a block in the back. A pretty simple strategy on punting.........is punt the F'n thing out of bounds to prevent a return. Its not rocket science.

The special teams coach needs to be told to clean out his office.........give him a ham sandwich........a road map........a tell him to get the **** out of town. Actually........not a ham sandwich but a peanut butter sandwich.......and not JIFF either!!!!!

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saying that our special teams is light years ahead of what it has been the last few years is crazy. Sounds like something Linde Infante would say right after we got our *** whipped.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Mason's looked great so far.

Can't really say the same for anybody else. I still don't like Nelson taking back kicks. Consistency isn't fun. Explosive is fun. But I will say he's probably our best option, which is sad.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason's looked great so far.

Can't really say the same for anybody else. I still don't like Nelson taking back kicks. Consistency isn't fun. Explosive is fun. But I will say he's probably our best option, which is sad.

Agreed. Thank God Crosby is playing well so far!!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it the blocking that changed for Nelson or what because its night and day difference from last season.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it the blocking that changed for Nelson or what because its night and day difference from last season.

Well IVO610...........it seems to me that when Jordy gets it, he can see the seam and he doesn't hesitate. Some of the other guys we use seem to stop and go, juke and whatever they do. They just don't find the seam, and stop and try to get to the outside. I think the blocking is pretty much the same. Just my opinion!

Members online

Latest posts