For all of you..."Packer fans"..hurrying to push..

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Brett Favre out the door...take it directly from your future hero's own mouth....

(from nfl.com)

"Even Rodgers, who entered the game after Holmgren took a timeout at the end of the game, wants Favre to return. Rodgers, who would likely quarterback the offense in Favre's absence, wants to spend another year soaking up Favre's knowledge.

"I definitely hope he comes back," Rodgers said. "I learned so much this year and had a great time with him, and obviously there's no rush on my progress. He's still the best quarterback on this team."

As they await his decision, the rest of the team has taken the same approach. In the mean time, they enjoyed a poignant day with their franchise quarterback on the last day of the 2006 regular season."

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR...BECAUSE YOU JUST MAY GET IT...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: For all of you..."Packer fans"..hurrying to pu

First, whatever Rodgers said is just PC lip service whether he believes what he said or not.

Plus, those who think it may be time for Brett to move on are saying so because they are in fact Packer fans. They feel that his retirement may be in the best interest for the future of THE PACKERS, not what may be in Brett Favre's best interest.

A Brett Favre-led team has won ONE SUPER BOWL, so to think that life will cease to exist w/out him leading the Packers is ridiculous.

Is AR better than BF? Hell no, but Brett's retirement is inevitable and is likely to occur w/in the next 2 years anyway. If it is possible to build a SB team in the next 2 years around BF w/out jeapordizing the future due to salary cap hell, then it would be STUPID to let him go. However, if this can not be realistically accomplished in the next 2 years, then Brett and his 12 mil count v. the cap in 2006 could hinder the progress of the Packers.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Musccy,

I agree with 95% of your post... But I do not agree with the following.

musccy said:
First, whatever Rodgers said is just PC lip service whether he believes what he said or not.

I have a feeling (I may be wrong) that this kid is genuine and lip service is not in his make up.

Besides, I would rather have a kid like Arron speaking the words he has about his status with the Packers than having a young cockey trailer trash or ghetto talking punk *****ing about his opportunity.

Young Arron will do the Packers well I hope.

RP

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

RP:

I'm not necessarily saying that AR isn't being genuine w/ those comments, but regardless of what he feels, I think he's smart enough to realize that he's got to say something to that effect since there'd probably be some fairly unpleseant consequences resulting from him burning bridges b4 he is able to prove himself.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Musscy..

This is where you make no sense...

"Is AR better than BF? Hell no, but Brett's retirement is inevitable and is likely to occur w/in the next 2 years anyway"...

If AR is not better than BF..then why do you want AR starting next year? With the way teams can turn around in one year..wouldn't you rather have an admittedly better QB running your team than an untested rookie? Why are you in such an all fired hurry to SUCK now with Aaron Rodgers....when you admit..there is plenty of time to suck when Brett Favre retires?

YOu also say...

"If it is possible to build a SB team in the next 2 years around BF w/out jeapordizing the future due to salary cap hell, then it would be STUPID to let him go. However, if this can not be realistically accomplished in the next 2 years, then Brett and his 12 mil count v. the cap in 2006 could hinder the progress of the Packers"...

Well which is it...? Don't you know the answer to this?

Through Free Agency and good signings..Ron Wolf built a SB team...in a hurry..so yes it can be done....if the GM doesn't have rocks between his ears..and who better to build a team around then Brett Favre?

Then you really go off the deep end...

"A Brett Favre-led team has won ONE SUPER BOWL, so to think that life will cease to exist w/out him leading the Packers is ridiculous. "

How many years did it take the Pack to get to the SB without Brett Favre? He's been to two..should have won the second one...and the reason he hasn't been back is because of your favorite character...MIKE SHERMAN.....

C'mon man...why don't you give it a rest and stop dissin' Brett.....?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not even saying AR is the answer, but the Packers are going to have to deal w/ life after Brett at some point, and they're going to have to find a replacement, whether that be now, or 2 yrs. from now.

So, if you aren't going to get to the SB w/ Brett (which, personally, I don't think can be done in 2 years...it took Wolf 4, I believe) then what is the point...fine, give him more stats, but it's prolonging the inevitable and necessary process.

and how do you know the Packers will suck w/out Brett? They went 4-12 w/ Brett this year, so how much worse can things get?

Listen, the Packers had a great run, and it was certainly thanks in large part to Brett, but you're fixated on this idea that a top 5 all time QB is the only way to win. Does it help, well of course, but it's not the only way to be successful.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Another tidbit...SB qbs since Brett has been w/ the Packers. SB qbs

I'd say Elway is the only one on the list that you could say may have been better than Brett, yet 8 (if I counted correctly) other "lesser" qbs led their team to victory in this time frame. There can be life after Brett.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score

More often than not, the Super Bowl team is built around a great qb.

Let's be honest here. This team COULD with the right moves, make some noise in the PO's next year and who knows, find their way into the SB.

That's never gonna happen with AR learning on the fly.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Musccy and 66

You are both full of it!!!!

Muscy,Brett Favre is and has been the heart and soul of this team for 14 years!!!
I don't care how many SB's he won. He has played with broken bones,seperated shoulders, pulled muscles, and never once did he use these as an excuse.
Brett has always put The Packers first, no matter what is going on in his life, he never complained about the money he was making, even though there are lot more QB's out there not near as talented as he is or ever was making more money. How many times has he re-done his contract to help The Team.
Now you are just ready to kick him to the curve. You are a joke.

Hey you are in hog heaven, you got your wish, Mike Sherman got fired!!! Well good for you, but you had better not come on here complaining when Brett doesn't come back. Congratulation, you and the people like you with tunnel vision thinking, just sealed Bretts future, he's gone,he will bow out gracefully, saying he wants to spend more time with his family, saying he doesn't have the drive to prepare for another season, he would never say the real reason that he respected what Mike Sherman did while he was coach and that he really doesn't want to learn a new system.

To both of you, be prepared for the mass exodus that will happen in the next few years as players become free agents and go to more glamorous places to play ball. Have either of you ever asked yourself how many guys came to or stayed in Green Bay just because they had a chance to play on the same team as Brett.

Both of you should be ashamed for the total Bullsh@t you have been speeling all over these boards this entire season.

True Packer fans, I think not, just self-absorbed wannabe's that don't know squat!

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ignore Buckeye, he's just all hopped up on the Ohio State win today.

Just kidding.:D

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hope you all got a good look at our next #1 draft pick!!!!

A.J Hawk will be a good start at rebuilding!!!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Buckeyepackfan said:
Musccy and 66

Muscy,Brett Favre is and has been the heart and soul of this team for 14 years!!!
I don't care how many SB's he won. He has played with broken bones,seperated shoulders, pulled muscles, and never once did he use these as an excuse.
Brett has always put The Packers first, no matter what is going on in his life, he never complained about the money he was making, even though there are lot more QB's out there not near as talented as he is or ever was making more money. How many times has he re-done his contract to help The Team.
Now you are just ready to kick him to the curve. You are a joke.

To both of you, be prepared for the mass exodus that will happen in the next few years as players become free agents and go to more glamorous places to play ball. Have either of you ever asked yourself how many guys came to or stayed in Green Bay just because they had a chance to play on the same team as Brett.

Both of you should be ashamed for the total Bullsh@t you have been speeling all over these boards this entire season.

True Packer fans, I think not, just self-absorbed wannabe's that don't know squat!

Well Merry Christmas to you too.

I never questioned Brett's loyalty to the team, what he's meant to the organization, or what he contributed. He is the greatest packer of all time, IMO, and is as much a representation of the Packers as is Lombardi or Lambeau. However, it is TT's job to do what is in the best interest of the team, NOT Brett Favre.

Keep in mind that semtimentally based loyalty was likely a contributing factor in MS' firing (Rossely, slowik). THis is the NFL, it's a business, and you need to react objectively.

If TT decides that a massive overhaul is what is necessary to redirect the ship, then Brett and his 12 million v. the cap would appear to potentially conflict with the rebuilding of the franchise. If TT feels this route is necessary, Brett at starter for the next 2-3 years means another 2-3 years that you can't determine who the qb of the future will be, and it means another 12 million each year is NOT going towards new guards, lbs, or whatever players could help you out over the next 5-10 years rather than the next 2-3 years.

If TT feels that he can imediately build a winner, then IT IS STUPID to replace the best player on your team. However, his actions to this point suggest to both me, and many others that TT feels that rebuilding this franchise is a better long-term option for the Packers.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Rodgers believes he would be able to run the packers offense, or else he isn't the guy for Green Bay.

Do you remember Brett Favre?

When he was a rookie he had a strong belief he could do whatever any other QB did...

Of course Rodgers wants him back, but he also wants to get a chance himself.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Buckeyepackfan said:
Musccy and 66

:agree: :eek:wned:

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm with Musc. This isn't the Favre's, it's the Packers. Favre was great. We'll probably never have another legend like him, but his reign is over. We can't make every little move to get him back. We have to move on. 66, it's not a Favre vs. Rodgers issue. Rodgers may not even be up to the job, but we will never know that if he never plays. If he's not the one, we need to know so we can make future plans. Brett is not the future. If he retires, it's his choice, and we can't be any worse than we were this year. Like all teams eventually do, we need to revamp everywhere to get into winning mode again. I'd rather go for the long haul than one more year of maybe making the playoffs, and I don't think we will, even with Favre and good health. I'd rather rebuild for another team that is always a contender and that can't include Favre. He is the past.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brett Favre can only tarnish his past with a future in Green Bay.

He did his best with a weak hand, but my take on 2006 is I don't think things will dramatically improve, especially if Bates leaves AND WE START ALL OVER AGAIN!

Tennessee is probably the closest situation to Green Bay. They purged their veterans, in their case due to contracts, and have spent two years with the bottom-feeders. The management in Tennessee, unlike Green Bay, didn't blame the coach, and they might just turn the corner. McNair is a shell of himself, and has talked of retirement, like Brett. He really should, as well.

Thompson has made his decision and it's time to move on. It's a little bit like being on a fishing boat in rough seas. All you can do is hold on and work toward shore.

One of the things that I personally dislike is holding onto the past pretending it's the future. The future is not Brett Favre in Green Bay, as great as his past has been.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And if not Net, it's only because we don't deserve to keep him but I tell you this "Somebody else will be glad to pick him up for a SB run if he decides to play" and I could not blame him for going now after how "TEDDY BOY" is handling the supposed rebuilding of our team.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

You people make me sick...

(Buckey, Gakk, net..Pierce..musscy..)

(Favre is the past! Favre is the past! Blah..Blah..Blah...like a bunch of old crows screaming....)

Well..I'll tell you what...If Favre is the past....
(TT just took a big ol' **** on the Packer's future.....)

Buckeye..all I've ever argued for is for the Packers to build a team around Favre and get some talent around him. Sherman was too inept to do it...and I thought TT would come through...apparantly....maybe he's not going too...which really sucks...but Sherman screwed this team over so bad, and TT's probably such an ego maniac that he wants to put his stamp on this team by building it over completely in his OWN image..no matter what...that i'm starting to think that Favre is not in his plans...not what I wanted to see happen! So take it easy there tromadz..before you foolishly jump on the dogpile...

(Do you guys even have a clue how long it takes a rookie QB to develop in the NFL??..at least 2-3 years...and that's FAST..and that's if he's very good--we don't know if this is even going to happen with Rodgers...he may not pan out...He may be the next Ryan Leaf! But don't dare compare him to Favre....saying oh..Brett started out thinking he can lead this team..Aaron Rodgers needs his shot .Do you think friggin' Brett Favre's grow on trees...?)

Probably won't be another like him in GB for a LOONNGG time..if ever...

What i'm so pissed about is that SherRossley completely squandered Favre's and the Packers chance at getting back to the SB...and his biggest mistake was signing two ROOKIE receivers FERGIE AND WALKER...and waiting for them to develop....Why didn't that ******** go after some free agent veteran talent at receiver like other teams have...we will never know (and don't say Terry Glenn..because he was misused and abused for one year!)

I'll say it again...I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU PEOPLE ARE IN SUCH AN ALL FIRED HURRY TO SUCK...THERE'S PLENTY OF TIME FOR THE PACKERS TO SUCK WHILE RODGERS IS LEARNING HOW TO PLAY IN THE NFL....

What's the big deal in putting it off a year or two? NOBODY HAS THE BALLS TO ANSWER THIS..I GUESS...

I know...I know...Favre's not the future...blah..blah..blah...People like you (ingrates) really deserve to have Favre sign with the Vikings and kick your ***** for the next 2-3 years..

(But if anybody was smart up there...they would know that Favre is the PRESENT....surround him with talent..and he can take you all the way in a hurry...)

(MIKE SHANAHAN KNEW THIS IN DENVER...and got Elway his two SB's....)

Look what happened to Denver when Elway left....and they were ALOT better than GB is now...

(Hey...TT and everybody...The future is now....and it's the 1970's again.....Favre is the past! The future is now..and it's the 1970's again! Welcome back Packers losing football!!!)

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

P@ck66 said:
I'll say it again...I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU PEOPLE ARE IN SUCH AN ALL FIRED HURRY TO SUCK...THERE'S PLENTY OF TIME FOR THE PACKERS TO SUCK WHILE RODGERS IS LEARNING HOW TO PLAY IN THE NFL....

What's the big deal in putting it off a year or two? NOBODY HAS THE BALLS TO ANSWER THIS..I GUESS...

I know...I know...Favre's not the future...blah..blah..blah...People like you (ingrates) really deserve to have Favre sign with the Vikings and kick your ***** for the next 2-3 years..

(But if anybody was smart up there...they would know that Favre is the PRESENT....surround him with talent..and he can take you all the way in a hurry...)

(MIKE SHANAHAN KNEW THIS IN DENVER...and got Elway his two SB's....)

Look what happened to Denver when Elway left....and they were ALOT better than GB is now...

Pack66, the Packers sucked this year WITH Brett at the helm, so the process of sucking is apparently already here.

For the 1,000th time, Brett would be a great leader on a team poised to go to a superbowl, but look at the mess...a new coach and how many new coaches lead teams to the SB w/in 2 yrs? Need an entire new interior O-line, DD getting older, Javon coming back from major injury, who knows what's going on at rb, potential big mess at lb, grady getting older...etc. This team has a LONG way to go! Elway was the oldest qb at 38, but he was on a team at the pinnacle...and the Packers are nowhere near that.

NOBODY is saying Rodgers will be better, or even that he is the answer...but the Packers need to find out whether or not he is...and bench warming doesn't tell you that. Lets say BF retires, AR starts, he turns out to be Tim Couch, well then great, we know that, and 2007 draft/FA we go after another QB...with Brett at the helm, there is NO WAY TO KNOW THAT...he delays the inevitable process of finding a compotent successor.

If the focus of this team was the Superbowl in the next 2 years, then YES, BEG BRETT TO COME BACK!!! However, it appears that rebuilding is the future, and Brett at 37 years old is NOT the future...AR is 21...Leinart would be 22?...guys like that, who have 8, 10, 12 years ahead of them are the future.

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Man..you're giving me a headache..

and I say to you Musscy..if they are that far off...(and I would disagree with you..for in this age of parity..nobody is that far off from the playoffs from year to year..)

What is your all-fired hurry to SUCK?

So..when Brett Favre retires..then you find your QB...Big DEAL!

YOu have to go through the process anyway..so why not put it off a year or two..

You see..the real reason..is that for some reason..YOU personally want Favre out of here...but won't come right out and say...and say alot of if's and buts...etc...but you don't definitively say anything!

I'm telling you that all Favre needs is a couple of good to great receivers..a decent running game..and some guys who can protect him...and you've got a shot at the championship...

and yes..Musscy..this **** is within reach...if TT has the balls to go for it!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

P@ck66 said:
I'm telling you that all Favre needs is a couple of good to great receivers..a decent running game..and some guys who can protect him...and you've got a shot at the championship...

So in other words, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2003, and 2004...oh wait, they didn't win those years.

Carolina went from rags to riches in 2 years...but that's not very common...but if TT thinks he can do that, well, I've said 4,000 times that we should keep Brett...want me to repeat that again Pack66? Keep Brett if you're on the 2 year Superbowl plan. Did you hear me, apparently not because I've said this ad nauseum...so once again, if you're on the 2 year superbowl plan, keep Brett...is my position clear now?

But, if you're not on the 2 year plan, then since you already suck right now, why not just clean out the cupboards and try to start from scratch, rather than some patchwork solution, so that you hopefully can build a team like the bears...a young team that appears to have the framework to succeed for a long time (entire defense under contract for next 2 years, I think) or patriots.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

musccy said:
For the 1,000th time, Brett would be a great leader on a team poised to go to a superbowl, but look at the mess...a new coach and how many new coaches lead teams to the SB w/in 2 yrs? Need an entire new interior O-line, DD getting older, Javon coming back from major injury, who knows what's going on at rb, potential big mess at lb, grady getting older...etc. This team has a LONG way to go! Elway was the oldest qb at 38, but he was on a team at the pinnacle...and the Packers are nowhere near that.

Actually this team isn't that bad, even though their record clearly indicates the opposite. With all of the injuries and lack of capable replacements, this team was only blown out of 1 game this season. The other games came down to only a couple plays where a solid OL would have made the difference.

A new OL is the major need, but we're really just one player away. If we sign a proven stud OG (Hutchinson - Seattle) FA, then we have an OL to build around. We have Clifton, Tauscher, Wells, the FA and either Witt or Custon to step up.

The mess at LB has been due to many injuries. Barnett had a solid season and will only improve if the defense stays the same. Thomas proved to be a great pick-up. Poppinga was making the next step to be a starter before getting injured. Manning stepped up to be solid at all 3 positions. Lenon proved more than capable as the top backup. Not at all a bad group.

Javon is coming back strong and DD is only getting better with age. Gardner proved to be a solid pick-up, Chatman stepped up big time. Then there's either Murphy or a draft pick to fill out the WR's.

At RB both Green and Daveport are gone. Gado proved he can be a solid starter and Herron showed a lot of talent. Fisher can be kept cheap as the 3rd down back. Grab one mid-level FA and a draft pick and there's plenty of talent at RB.

We may lose Grady, but Williams, Jenkins, Cole and Peterson have all stepped up this year. Washington was the odd man out and still a question mark. The biggest weakness on our defense IMO is our backup CB situation. This can be addressed in the draft though. Of course upgrading any of the positions will only make us better, but the emergence of Kampman has really be a huge boost.

The Packers are definitely poised for a quick turnaround next year as long as Brett returns. Solidify the OL (not too difficult to do) and this team is ready to make another playoff run at the SB, but we need Favre to do it.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My God do you people hear what you are saying? I'm 100% in agreement with P@ck66 on this issue. Listen to Wolf...listen to Holmgren...Favre is still one of the best QB's in the league. I can understan why TT wants to run Brett out of town. He will never be happy until "his boy" is in charge of the offense. But for the life of me, unless you were born in the last ten years, I can't understand how you "fans" want to force Brett out.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bobby,
Haven't you been listening to Musccy? Brett doesn't have it anymore, he is done, no matter how much talent surrounds him, he is to old and lacks the talent to lead this team anymore. We need the 12 million dollars that we obviously wasted on Brett last year to pay Aaron Rogers to learn how to play the position.
Because if I remember right, as soon as Rogers steps on the field for real, the cap friendly contract that he signed, because he is a class guy, starts to explode with incentives.

Although I completely agree with you about the potential of the players already on the roster, you obviously haven't been listening to 66!!

These are the same players Mike Sherman signed and drafted to surround Brett to make a run at the play-offs. You cannot use injuries as an excuse, most of these players were selected by the evil and do no right Mike Sherman who's only goal was to fail so 66 and those like him could rant and rave week after week until finally after a whole season they could come on here and stick their toungue out at everyone and say "see I told you so, I told you so", I was right all along.

I am sorry Bobby, although your post makes complete sense, we cannot afford Brett Favre anymore, and we cannot count on our current roster to succeed because the guys who had the audasity to get hurt last year, don't deserve another chance, and the young guys who were forced to play before they were ready failed.

This is The Green Bay Packers we are talking about, if you don't make the pro-bowl the first year you put on the Green and Gold, you have failed!!!

You need to start listening to Musscy, Ted Thompson is our savior, he was brought in to turn this franchise around.
Well he has gotten off to a great start....Sharper, Rivera and Wahle gone,our #1 pick wasted on Aaron Rogers, our #2 pick wasted on Terrance Murphy,(remember there are no excuses!!).
Brett Favre soon to be pushed out because "we must go in a different direction"

Sorry for the long response, Bobby, you of course make complete sense, but that in itself makes no sense on this forum anymore.

Members online

Latest posts