Footsteps of a legend

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bart Starr is a Packer Legend.
It took 20 years before another QB was able to replace Bart.
Ray Nitschke was a legendary Packer linebacker.
In 1972 the Packers brought in Jim Carter to replace Nitschke and even though he was a pro bowl linebacker and a leading tackler and a very good linebacker who played for the Pack for 7 years he was never accepted by Packer fans.
Now comes Arron Rogers who must step in for another Packer Legend.
His window of opportunity will be very small. Packer fans will not have much patience.
This kid is in a tough spot and I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.
As Packer fans we need to accept and support this kid. Without fan support he is doomed to fail. As Packer fans we should want him to succeed for without his success the Green Bay Packers could be sentenced to 20 more years of gloom and doom.
Hopefully he won't be booed unmercifully by the fans as Jim Carter was.

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't believe that Rodgers is going to be the guy to replace Favre. In 2 years when Favre retires, Brady Quinn is going to step up and lead the team to glory. If it is Rodgers I'll cheer him just like I've cheered Brett. The only player I've ever really booed is Javaon Walker at the beginning of this season, because of his affiliation with Drew Rosenhaus.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
Without fan support he is doomed to fail. As Packer fans we should want him to succeed for without his success the Green Bay Packers could be sentenced to 20 more years of gloom and doom.
Anyone that can't support our own team, a player that has a love for the game and respect for the great shoes he must fill, (a player that isn't out knocking people off, selling drugs etc), isn't a Packers Fan and I hope I don't ever run into them at Lambeau. If you can't cheer just because the guy is a Packer and giving his all to put up the W, then jump ship because real Packers fans don't want you supporting our team.

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
yooperfan said:
Without fan support he is doomed to fail. As Packer fans we should want him to succeed for without his success the Green Bay Packers could be sentenced to 20 more years of gloom and doom.
Anyone that can't support our own team, a player that has a love for the game and respect for the great shoes he must fill, (a player that isn't out knocking people off, selling drugs etc), isn't a Packers Fan and I hope I don't ever run into them at Lambeau. If you can't cheer just because the guy is a Packer and giving his all to put up the W, then jump ship because real Packers fans don't want you supporting our team.

Amen! The Eagles need some more fans go join their bandwagon.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan, you have made a great point.

So how many real Packer fans are there on this forum?

All I remember last year on this forum is posts about how this guy sucks and how that guy sucks, and how we should have drafted this guy instead of that guy, and how The Packers are never going to win with the players and coaches we have.

There was no support for the Team from these people last year.

Now, the same people seem to be the only ones on this forum whose opinions count because they have gotten their way and the rest of us, being true Packer fans must follow like sheep or we are deemed imposters.

Next September whoever takes the field for The Packers, will have my support 100%, whether it be A. rogers or C. Null or someone else taking the snaps, I will be rooting for them to succeed.

Replacing Brett Favre will be a thankless job, especially because of the so-called Packer fans who are, so in the know right now, because these are the same people who will turn on the starter in a heartbeat if the wins don't come right away.

The true Packer fans will not be the problem next year, it is the wannabe Packer fans that for some reason think that just because a player puts on the Green and Gold, they should automatically become the best at their position, there is no room for mistake in these fans minds, and they will be the ones calling for MM's head as HC, and how we need someone who knows how to evaluate talent better so TT must go.

Remember there are no excuses in the minds of these new, all knowing Packer fans, if we don't win the Superbowl next year, they will be calling for the firing of every player on the roster, because it is obvious to them that completely rebuilding the team is the only way to go. And of course they are never wrong.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont support carroll, and wish he does bad things, because the more bad things he does, the faster he gets out, and a respectable talented CB comes in.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
I dont support carroll, and wish he does bad things, because the more bad things he does, the faster he gets out, and a respectable talented CB comes in.

Doesn't make alot of sense, if you are really a Packer fan. Why not hope that he starts to play to his potential and help the Packers bring back the Lombardi trophy? I think he improved quite a bit from year one to two.

Too many people will start ripping a guy and then root against him just so they will look smart. I remember thinking Wolf was out of his mind when he gave up a #1 pick for some hick named Favre. I quickly learned I wasn't very smart.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I quickly learned I wasn't very smart.
NO ONE here is all that great, otherwise we have a Packers logo on our paychecks. It's still just a game, and we are still all outsiders to the organization. We don't have any say, and we don't every really know what is going on inside 1265.

Just support the dang team.

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
tromadz said:

Doesn't make alot of sense, if you are really a Packer fan. Why not hope that he starts to play to his potential and help the Packers bring back the Lombardi trophy? I think he improved quite a bit from year one to two.

Too many people will start ripping a guy and then root against him just so they will look smart. I remember thinking Wolf was out of his mind when he gave up a #1 pick for some hick named Favre. I quickly learned I wasn't very smart.

Well said, De. Not only a hick, but a third string QB for Atlanta, at that.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When free agency is over before training camp, all of us will have a better assessment as to the future of the team.

It is clear to me TT wants to shuck much of the past and look toward the future. If that happens to the degree I think it might(Diggs, Ferguson, Green, maybe Henderson, others) the young players will be asked, as they were last year, to step into the void. With Collins, it worked very well, with Whittaker, it didn't. Until the team is restocked and plays together for several games, it isn't going to be pretty. While the team might surprise, I don't necessarily see that much improvement next year. We have to be patient. I argued that cutting B.J. Sander as many wanted to do last year would make a trifecta of disappointment, losing two draft picks and then Sander, meaning you start over with nothing. You want Sherman's picks to succeed because by not succeeding your condemning the team to an even longer rebuilding phase. That includes Carroll.

I'm willing to sit back and watch and bite my tongue. What I want to see is improvement each week.

OP
OP
Y

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
When free agency is over before training camp, all of us will have a better assessment as to the future of the team.

It is clear to me TT wants to shuck much of the past and look toward the future. If that happens to the degree I think it might(Diggs, Ferguson, Green, maybe Henderson, others) the young players will be asked, as they were last year, to step into the void. With Collins, it worked very well, with Whittaker, it didn't. Until the team is restocked and plays together for several games, it isn't going to be pretty. While the team might surprise, I don't necessarily see that much improvement next year. We have to be patient. I argued that cutting B.J. Sander as many wanted to do last year would make a trifecta of disappointment, losing two draft picks and then Sander, meaning you start over with nothing. You want Sherman's picks to succeed because by not succeeding your condemning the team to an even longer rebuilding phase. That includes Carroll.

I'm willing to sit back and watch and bite my tongue. What I want to see is improvement each week.

If TT wants to shuck the past, he should go back and look at what happened in the 1986 season.

Forrest Gregg canned most all of the veterans to the point where he started the 1986 season with no player having played in no more than 16 games.
He apparently was not happy with his 1985 record of 8-8 so after shucking the past, his 1986 teamwent 4-12. In 1987 He produced a 5-9-1 record in a strike shortened year.

These were some of the darkest days in Packer history

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said all along........too many of today's Packer fans have been spoiled by having Favre as QB. I lived through the 70's and 80', where they stunk every year! If they beat the BEARS one game, you looked at the season as a success. I have backed every Packer team, through thick and thin. (And there was ALOT of THIN!) I think thats why i appreaciated the last 15 years so much, and no matter what happens, i am greatful i got to see the man play.
I'll always be a Packer Backer.........it's in my BLOOD!
When Ray Nitschke retired, it was a sad time for me. He was always one of my all time favorite Packers. I got the honor of getting to meet him back in 1990. He was a GREAT man. I for one, did NOT BOO his replacement.

Beab66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Carter fully admitted years later that if he would have kept his mouth shut, he would have been better off. The fans didn't want Ray to go and Carter knew that. When he replaced #66 he already had a strike against him. Carter was arrogant and showed no respect for the legend that he replaced and he admitted as much. Hopefully, whoever does replace Favre will be respectful as well as respectable. A respectable QB with talent around him can win alot of games (Matt Hasslebeck). Coaching doesn't hurt either.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have one team, regardless of sport, to whom I cheer. One team which I ride every wave, whether up or down. One team, in which I still follow when the season is over, that's the Pack. If we weren't Pack fans would we be here, in a forum, talking every day, risking Big Brother's view over the internet usage at work, for the Pack? No way, its not ****, its the Pack! Come hell or high water...Go Pack Go.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GO PACK GO!!! That means every player, every coach, and every employer at 1265...

As far as cheering or jeering, we have that right as fans but it all boils down to unconditional love for the greatest team in all of sports!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts