1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Football or football fans?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Messi, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Messi

Messi Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Am new to this site so I don't want to pick any fights.

However I can resist to not compare the real football with your kind of football (which should be called handegg instead :D).

Which are best. Football fans or handegg fans? What you guys think. I think football fans. I will come some arguments why later. But I will let you come up with something first.

2. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    LOL at "hand egg."

Well, it depends on your definition of "best." I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

Both sports have very passionate fans.

3. robdog

robdog Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +327
    hahah "hangegg" never heard it called that before. With that said though I think that European Soccer fans are a little more loyal to their teams then US Football fans. Win or lose you will see packed/soldout stadiums no matter what. Good energy at those Soccer games. But US Football is much more fast paced with the possibility of something exciting happening at any moment.

4. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I'm from Brasil, so I probably know what I'm talking about. Football (NFL) fans know A LOT MORE about football than futebol (soccer) fans know about futebol. The game is much more precise, statistics are collected from every single aspect of the game, and though sometimes they are deceiving, most of the times it gives you an insight of where your team is good and where its bad. In futebol there's no such thing; they don't compare the percentage of correct passes, for example. It's only about goals scored and goals suffered. The most you'll see is percentage of home wins, away wins, best defense...

BOTH kind of fans are EXTREMELY loyal, with both even having disputes over the politics involved. Yeah, TT isn't the only GM that's hated by fans...

BUT futebol fans are more passionate, and much more organized. Chants are A LOT better, there's choreography in the games, and they really change the outcome of the games. European fans, except maybe Liverpool's and in the Eastern Europe, are a lot more like in the US. But South American fans are crazy.
    Here's a video about Grêmio Foot-Ball Porto Alegrense, the team that I cheer for:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRR7p1x0V1E&feature=related"]YouTube - GRÊMIO 2007 - Espetáculos da torcida Tricolor![/ame]
    It pretty much translates what I'm talking about...

5. Messi

Messi Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, maybe wouldn't say best. But when it comes to chants and lpoyalty is football fans better, do I atleast think.

Anyhow when it comes to the game, can I say that football is also exsiting. Even though I enjoiy handegg and seen some game, which is quite exiting so do I find football more exiting. It's both have to do where you come from and what you are born with.

Football don't have any stoppages and keeps going for 45 minutes. It also happen exiting things specially on the highest level. Barca matches is exiting as hell for an example.

Also football fans, I cant speak for the Barzilians, but in europe for an example do they know alot about there teams.

But of course there are lot of politics but mostly history that get you worked up. Like for an instatn Barcelona represent Catalonia, a prinve that want to be an own country, and their arche rival Real Madrdi (not it's Real like that's a real diamond, it's Real as in Royal) represent the state of Spain. So the game is quite intence both history wise, both political and football.

But the football in USA is diffrent. As Ljungberg said american have the pace (he said they run 100% all the time) and have quite good skill. But tactically are they very far behind and they have hard to create a structure in their game.

6. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I didn't say futebol fans don't know about their TEAM. Grêmio has 106 years old, and most of it's past and players the fans know about. But the GAME of futebol it's not very known. Fans usually don't know a lot involved in tactics, like in the 4-4-2 when, for instance, the left back goes down the field to attack, the right back must stay. Unless the DM supports the right side instead of the midfield. That in the standart Brazilian 4-4-2. Most people don't know that.
    Most people think Messi is the best player in the world just because they think so. They don't have statistics, comparison with other players other than goals scored.
    In the NFL, you can argue that a QB is better than other by QB rating, TDs scored, pass completions, and so on...

7. Messi

Messi Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's generalizing. Also you can decide who is the best player based ono stats. However you can do that when it comes to who's the best goalscorer for an example.

But stats isn's everything. That's why a CB like Cannavaro was elected as the best player of the world. That's why goalkeepers can be part of the discussion. Even there does not save % count, not to to ceratin degree. It also have to with consictancy, how good is coperation with backline is, how secure and so on.

There are more then just statsitic that to decide if a player is a good player. Why Messi i ocnicered to be the best is partly becuase he socres alot of goals, assist, can dribble extremly well and are improving Barcelonas offensive. He also open up open areas for his teamplayers by getting 2-3 opponents that man mark him, with and without the ball.

Fans do know tactics and Barca fans do know well the strategy that Barca is playing, what is about and rolls that the players have.

8. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Canavarro was the most important piece in a world champion Italy. And noone was playing in a high level in 2006. So that says a lot.

About statistics, okay, if you find them, post them. If you can find something more than goals scored and assists, post them...

9. Messi

Messi Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no doubt that handegg have more statistics then football, nothing I'm arguing with.

BUt in football statistic is not always nessessary to decide which players better or not. Of course is goal, assists, passing % and such things intresting to look at about player.

Football is not always logical. A team that have 70% possesion of the ball can sometimes lose, even thought they are more likely to win. So statistic is n ot always telling the truth about the game.

It's also hard to make more statistic about a football player, it not always have to do with it position but also about his role.

10. IrishCheeseHead

IrishCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wtf is handegg? and lets all laugh at united here, totally outclassed last night. Ferguson's tactics where all wrong and he payed for it. Muchos Gracia's Barca!

11. croxeye

croxeye Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would have to say futbol fans are a bit more loco about their game. I've seen people get shot in england over outcomes of games :eek:hmy:

both fans are crazy and love their home team, and I think both sports are equally exciting. Just in different ways.

Actually, better yet, GO CRICKET!!!!!!!!!

12. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Rooney at winger, C.Ronaldo centralized, Giggs at center. An Ji Sung Park? Really? Well, see ya at Dubai, Barça! This time please bring the whole team, unlike in 2006...

13. Messi

Messi Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hope that they do too and I think they do. I mean Guardiola have a really good philosophy. Even though it's not a big tournament do I still think he takes it quite seriously.

14. danielchile

danielchile Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah...that was painful for me. How can SAF doesn't know his own team? He just handed it over to Barça.

Both sports are exciting. Just like the Giants upsetting the Pats with 0:40 seconds left or the Steelers beating the Cards with 0:35 seconds left in futebol we had some incredible exciting games, like United beating Bayern in the UCL final in 99' scoring twice in the last 2 minutes.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIpdpYSeOi4]YouTube - man united champions league final 1999[/ame]

Or Corinthians beating Santos in the Sao Paulo semi-finals in 2001, scoring the goal that sent us to the final that year.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwmpthNTvGM]YouTube - Corinthians 2x1 Santos 2001 - Momentos Finais[/ame]

Or more recently, Barça scoring in the 92nd minute to beat Chelsea and go to the finals.

15. robdog

robdog Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +327
    Man seeing those Soccer game just packed with fans screaming make me want the NFL hear tomorrow. I so miss it...

16. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Or the most exciting game of all time of all sports: "Batalha dos Aflitos" With 4 players less, and after defending 2 penalties, Grêmio managed to win away in the last minute... How can it be more exciting than that?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ismw4Hjvj_s]YouTube - Batalha dos Aflitos[/ame]

17. danielchile

danielchile Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, that was one heck of a game.

Or anytime a team that doesn't win in a very long time finally overcomes the difficulties...like my Universidad de Chile. from 1969 to 1994, 25 years without being champion. In the last game of 1994 tied with cobresal and finally became champion again. That was incredible, amazing for any "La U" fan.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBGKcyr7vIU]YouTube - UNIVERSIDAD DE CHILE CAMPEON 1994[/ame]

18. shiftysdad

shiftysdad Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would just like to make a technicality clear:

If you are North American, it is not called "football", it is called soccer.

There is a good reason for it to be called soccer, and there is a good reason for football to be called football.

Every type of game of football (this includes soccer, American, Canadian, Australian, Irish, rugby, and so forth) is called football not because you control the ball with your feet (as in soccer primarily), it is called football because of the use of the feet, period.

You see, back in the old English days, the nobility played games that were played on horseback (polo is the only one I can think of right now). The general populace, on the otherhand and due to a lack of horse-ownership, played games that did not require horses and were instead played on foot; hence "football".

Eventually, due to all the broken rules of all the variant footballs, an association was made to create a set of rules; this was soon known as association football. Soccer is simply a slurred idiom for associated football (assoc. sounds like "a sock", cut the "a" and add a "er" and you got soccer).

So, realistically, when referring to American football on a North American-majority website, only football will suffice. Whereas, due to the word football already being taken by American Football, we should call associated football soccer. Not because one is right and one is wrong, but because this way is more appropriate, and enhances conversational clarification.

For the sake of the subject: I prefer football over soccer. But, both are different sports. There really aren't advantages and disadvantages, just differences. The fact that there is far less scoring in soccer can be good and bad, and the increase of necessary physical contact is also a good/bad split in football.

Same thing with fans. It all varies. You have Man U. which has a grand fan base, and you have the Green Bay Packers, another grand fan base. But, this can also be noticed by comparing the LA Galaxy (a pretty feeble team, no offense to fans) and... the Parma Panthers (A football team in Italy, which has fans, but it's not big).

They're not the same, they're not equal, they're just different and it's foolish to attempt to compare them.