Football gonna become unwatchable

OP
OP

12theTruth

The pro and college games are more and more becoming a farce. Today an Ohio State player was ejected for hitting an Iowa TE with his shoulder into his opponents chest. The impact caused their helmets to touch on a secondary force caused by the first most intense impact.

WTH BS is what it is. This is destroying the fabric of the game with over legislating what should be a completely legal hit. The ref said the player targeted the head/neck area. WRONG! What do you think? http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9848811

OP
OP

12theTruth

The NFL might as well switch acronyms with the NHL.

Starting in 2014 the NFL should be referred to as the No Hit League

College is basically following in the NFL's footsteps judging by the reaction of the refs in Columbus and the 'when in doubt throw em out' rule was precipitated by the concussion dilemma and is a over-reaction IMO. Stupidity at its finest.

So next time the defender should tackle the TE by:

1. less force which may allow the TE to escape and achieve more yards and possibly a TD
2. hit him in the knees, even possible worse outcome if knee planted TE could be out multiple weeks
3. try to arm tackle LOL the TE would have owned him if he were to attempt that
4. let him run several more yards and drag him down with your body weight and or strength
5. give him a high five
6. say screw it I'm just gonna let him go, I don't need a fine

If you watch the replay if anyone was out of position it was the defender. He reacted at the last second to the play and made a GREAT play which included a GREAT hit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

College is basically following in the NFL's footsteps judging by the reaction of the refs in Columbus and the 'when in doubt throw em out' rule was precipitated by the concussion dilemma and is a over-reaction IMO. Stupidity at its finest.

1. less force which may allow the TE to escape and achieve more yards and possibly a TD
2. hit him in the knees, even possible worse outcome if knee planted TE could be out multiple weeks
4. let him run several more yards and drag him down with your body weight and or strength
5. give him a high five

If you watch the replay if anyone was out of position it was the defender. He reacted at the last second to the play and made a GREAT play which included a GREAT hit.

I am not sure what video clip you are looking at:

1. Receiver's back was facing the CB
2. The CB coiled himself so his helmet was under the receiver's chest
3. The CB launched himself upwards, leading with he crown of his helmet
4. The CB never attempted to use arms in any fashion, the only thing he tried to use to make a tackle was the crown of his helmet.
4. The CB's Helmet made at the very least simultaneous impact with TE's helmet snapping his head back
5. The TE never even saw the CB, the CB could have laid the TE out (and had plenty of time to do so) by driving his shoulder into the TE's waist area, wrapping his arms (giving him a chance to to either force a fumble or an incomplete pass) You know, the proper tackling technique.
6. It is painfully obvious that the CB's ONLY intention on that play was to try and knock out an opponent by using his helmet as weapon
7. He then proceeded to to celebrate his inappropriate behavior like he was something special.

I honestly do not understand how anyone can see anything else in this hit, Roby flat out purposefully tried to make helmet to helmet contact, succeeded and was ejected. I am for one am glad and wish the NFL would institute the same policy.

Ejection, and forfeiture of your entire game check is what should happen every time.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Merriweather just delivered a helmet to helmet hit to a Bear WR. Certainly a big fine coming his way.

Last edited:

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

5. give him a high five

Or

7. He could, you know, make a proper form tackle, wrap up, drive him to the ground hard.
8. Deliver a big hit anywhere between the knees and shoulders. That TE is 6'7'', it shouldn't be that hard to do.

Maybe you just don't like the rule and complain about all of these calls, but that hit, imo, was a textbook definition of exactly what they're trying to prevent. You have a 5'11 d-back hitting a 6'7 TE, the only possible way he could get flagged is if he lead with his helmet and tried to leave his feet, launching himself into the hit, which is precisely what he did. There's about FOUR FEET of space between his knees and shoulders where he could have hit instead. I think it's much easier to hit anywhere within that zone versus going up to the shoulder/neck/head area.

And what the hell did he have to celebrate? He was out of position, gave up a first down, and even allowed Iowa to get into field goal range. He deserved the penalty, and anything that comes along with it.

OP
OP

12theTruth

The hit was not helmet to helmet. Watch the play again. The point of impact was the defenders shoulder/arm to the upper chest area of the TE. It was not a hit to neck or head period!

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pro and college games are more and more becoming a farce. Today an Ohio State player was ejected for hitting an Iowa TE with his shoulder into his opponents chest. The impact caused their helmets to touch on a secondary force caused by the first most intense impact.

WTH BS is what it is. This is destroying the fabric of the game with over legislating what should be a completely legal hit. The ref said the player targeted the head/neck area. WRONG! What do you think? http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9848811

Looks to be to be almost exactly what Meriweather routinely does. He launched into him and put the top of his helmet right into his facemask... and I despise Ohio State.

OP
OP

12theTruth

Looks to be to be almost exactly what Meriweather routinely does. He launched into him and put the top of his helmet right into his facemask... and I despise Ohio State.

I don't have a horse in that race. I think some when commenting allow their personal sentiment cloud their thinking. Not say you are doing so but how many times have we seen a player have his head targeted toward a player.

It happened against Cobb and it happens many and many a time in a confined area. Players have to think in the span of sometimes less than a second. The point of impact should be the most important factor.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a horse in that race. I think some when commenting allow their personal sentiment cloud their thinking. Not say you are doing so but how many times have we seen a player have his head targeted toward a player.

It happened against Cobb and it happens many and many a time in a confined area. Players have to think in the span of sometimes less than a second. The point of impact should be the most important factor.

It shouldn't require that much thought to keep your stupid head up and see what you're hitting. He put his head down intentionally. You never see good tacklers do that.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Did anyone see Merriweather deliver more helmet-helmet hits vs Chicago receivers today. Brutal. If NFL doesn't suspend this guy now, I will not believe they give a damn about player safety.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The hit was not helmet to helmet. Watch the play again. The point of impact was the defenders shoulder/arm to the upper chest area of the TE. It was not a hit to neck or head period!

Then you truly are blind. If you hit hit someone shoulder to shoulder. Where is your head in relation to the person you are hitting? Directly in line with their head! I am baffled as to how you can watch that replay and not see the crown of Roby's helmet forcefully impact the TE's face mask.

You are the one that need to watch the replay again and take off your blinders. You are absolutely correct that he used his shoulder to hit his shoulder but as I mentioned above, that also put his helmet directly in line with the TE's face mask.

Not admitting that is simply you putting your fingers in your ears and playing na, na, na, na, defense.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

I watched the video via the link that you provided and it looks to me that the helmet-to-helmet impact occurs either first or (at the latest) simultaneously. IMO, this is not a tackle. I call this impact a "hit". If the defender was trying to tackle, he would have used his arms to wrap up the receiver. Instead, he launched himself at the receiver with the suspected intention of causing a dramatic impact without cause for concern of injury for either players (himself included).

Hits are hurting my favorite sport and causing injury to some of the best players. I don't watch football to see the hits like some do. I watch it for many other reasons, including seeing the top players perform. I don't like seeing the best players in street clothes on the sidelines. I want them playing.

In my opinion, "hits" should be illegal and players that do them should be ejected and suspended. Let's go back to playing tackle football. Take their helmets off, if we have to.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are about half of what is wrong with football today. Right next to belligerent fans.

Right back at you, people like you that apparently think players should be allowed to purposely injure other players, and then when their careers are over sue the league that allowed them to make millions of dollars is what is going to destroy the game.

For the record, I am not a big fan of a lot of the new safety rules however, if you are going to have them and want them enforced, then the NFL should be serious about it instead of just paying lip service to it.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Thought I'd return to this thread. Did anyone see the call against Ahmad Brooks in the SF-NO game yesterday? He was trying to wrap up and Brees ain't a big guy. Soon they'll tell the defense that they can only two-hand touch the Quarterback. :(

Members online

Latest posts