Flynn under center

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn is very good,will miss him think some one out there wants him bad after last night.:(

He's not going anywhere. I wouldn't be smart for GB to let go an decent backup for their franchise QB. A-Rod is not invincible, and god forbid if anything would happen to him they have Flynn that can step in and do an adequate job. You make sure you keep up around, just in case. That being said, here's to only seeing Flynn in mop up duty!!!!:tup:

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But a team in need will want him plus when you get in the nfl your intent is to be a starter ,Flynn is not going stay a back up if he can start some where,if the opportunity comes up think he may do it.Harell then may be our back up right now will agree he is our back up,it is a wait and see after the season.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
But a team in need will want him plus when you get in the nfl your intent is to be a starter ,Flynn is not going stay a back up if he can start some where,if the opportunity comes up think he may do it.Harell then may be our back up right now will agree he is our back up,it is a wait and see after the season.

You never know, Billy Volek has been looked at as possible starter by a couple teams. But he has decided to be P. Rivers backup in San Diego since 2006. He even lead the Chargers to win in the playoffs over the Colts in 2007 playoffs, after that performance QB needy teams had him on their radar. He ended up signing a 3 yr contract in '08, and instead of looking to start came back to SD and signed another 2 yr deal this year. He has said, that he like the city, the team. His understands his role as a backup QB and likes it.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well maybe Flynn will do the same sure would be nice I would hate to see, him go ,and I'm not saying he will it's just that money being a starter some where and A-rod saying he could do coach saying he could do will impress other teams,but I liked your last post about being a happy back up for Rivers,hope we have that with Flynn.

c33j44y

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots game last season is what really solidified him as a keeper in my eyes. However, a quarterback of his caliber doesn't deserve to be on the bench. As much as I hate to admit it, the Pack may need to give Matty Ef his time in the limelight if that time ever does come (via trade, Rodgers is just too good to pass up, obviously).
For the time being, I'm all for the 2 QB scheme we have going awn.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Flynn deserves to start somewhere. TT will have some decisions to make in the offseason. I'd like to see Wells and Finley somehow extended soon and we can use the franchise tag on Flynn and trade him for some picks instead of just losing him in FA.

Assuming the Colts take Luck, Flynn may likely be the next best option for teams. Miami, Seattle, Washington, Cleveland, KC? to name a couple..

RustyShackleford

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You never know, Billy Volek has been looked at as possible starter by a couple teams. But he has decided to be P. Rivers backup in San Diego since 2006. He even lead the Chargers to win in the playoffs over the Colts in 2007 playoffs, after that performance QB needy teams had him on their radar. He ended up signing a 3 yr contract in '08, and instead of looking to start came back to SD and signed another 2 yr deal this year. He has said, that he like the city, the team. His understands his role as a backup QB and likes it.

It's really a great gig. Stick around for 10-15 years or so, collect millions of dollars, and leave the league with all his limbs and faculties in working order. With this team Flynn could be the anti-Gale Gilbert.

Unfortunately, most of these guys are too competitive to see it that way.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really a great gig. Stick around for 10-15 years or so, collect millions of dollars, and leave the league with all his limbs and faculties in working order. With this team Flynn could be the anti-Gale Gilbert.

Unfortunately? More like, "thank goodness these guys are too competitive to see it that way." Would you want a team full of players who are happy to be backups? I sure wouldn't. And I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there's no way Flynn would've been able to improve as much as he has in the past couple of years if he had that attitude. I'd much rather have a backup QB who is aching to start somewhere than one who is just a happy backup. If you had one of each on your roster behind your starter, which one would you want in there if your starter goes down? Easy choice, if you ask me.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I played for the Packers and knew that I'd never have the chance to be a starter but had the talent to, I'd look elsewhere.

You can't blame him if he wants to go somewhere in order to be first string. I'd be willing to guess he'd be in the top half of QB's in the league if he was a routine starter.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think the same way, there is a fine line with competitiveness and realism. On a team EVERYONE has a job, and every job is important. Case in point the 90's Chicago Bulls, there was only one Michael and one Scottie, but the team needed the blue collar guys who knew their role: Bill Cartwright, Horace Grant, Craig Hodges, Toni Kukoc, Steve Kerr, Ron Harper, etc. For the Bulls to win, these guys had to accept the fact they weren't stars and be okay with it. Maybe Flynn, can accept the fact he's a backup QB be okay with it, but also be the best back up QB he can be. I hope we can keep him, too. :D

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the same way, there is a fine line with competitiveness and realism. On a team EVERYONE has a job, and every job is important. Case in point the 90's Chicago Bulls, there was only one Michael and one Scottie, but the team needed the blue collar guys who knew their role: Bill Cartwright, Horace Grant, Craig Hodges, Toni Kukoc, Steve Kerr, Ron Harper, etc. For the Bulls to win, these guys had to accept the fact they weren't stars and be okay with it. Maybe Flynn, can accept the fact he's a backup QB be okay with it, but also be the best back up QB he can be. I hope we can keep him, too. :D

Except for those guys actually got some meaningful PT. Flynn probably (hopefully!) will not. I mean of course I would love to keep him, but get real. You think, with the flashes he has shown, that he'd ever choose to be backup instead of a starter?

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except for those guys actually got some meaningful PT. Flynn probably (hopefully!) will not. I mean of course I would love to keep him, but get real. You think, with the flashes he has shown, that he'd ever choose to be backup instead of a starter?

Why not? Billy Volek, threw for over 400 yrds in consecutive games. (actually he threw for 918 in two games) that's third all-time over a 2 game span, and on another occasion beat the Colts in the playoffs. That's more than Flynn has shown, that's pretty amazing if you ask me. Yet, he's content with being a backup QB, why? It's not like there hasn't been interest from other teams. He's made his decision, his role is a backup QB and he does that well. As a matter of fact, I'm still not sure why P.Rivers hasn't been benched? B. Volek, might be the spark the bolts need to get on track.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I haven't made my point clear to you yet, I doubt I ever will.

Hey, that's what makes Pack fans the best, right? We might not always see eye to eye on everything, but we discuss things with respect. Trust me if this was a Philly or Oakland board there would be a complete lack of respect for opposing point of views. I love this board. No, I don't agree 100% of the time with every poster, BUT I find it interesting to see the dilemma or question at hand from another point of view.

you sir, have made your point and honestly thanks for sharing, bro. :tup:

Texas9erFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn will go elsewhere and make more money just as most every other back-up in the league has done, given the chance. It'll be a bummer. But it happens. Just don't send him to the NFCW! :roflmao:
For a rookie QB, being the back-up in GB is really a pretty good 1st gig. The opportunity to sit behind the best QB in the league and just learn is golden.

RustyShackleford

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a rookie QB, being the back-up in GB is really a pretty good 1st gig. The opportunity to sit behind the best QB in the league and just learn is golden.

Yeah, but I'm not sure it makes sense from a Packer perspective to spend a draft pick on a quarterback, train him for three years, and then watch him walk away. I would much rather have them sign a decent veteran backup who's content with that role. Something along the lines of what Dallas has with John Kitna.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Flynn deserves to start somewhere. TT will have some decisions to make in the offseason. I'd like to see Wells and Finley somehow extended soon and we can use the franchise tag on Flynn and trade him for some picks instead of just losing him in FA.

Assuming the Colts take Luck, Flynn may likely be the next best option for teams. Miami, Seattle, Washington, Cleveland, KC? to name a couple..

Maybe Denver when Tebow finally bombs out?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but I'm not sure it makes sense from a Packer perspective to spend a draft pick on a quarterback, train him for three years, and then watch him walk away. I would much rather have them sign a decent veteran backup who's content with that role. Something along the lines of what Dallas has with John Kitna.

Their perspective is that they need to have depth at every position, especially at QB. And their method is draft and develop. Simple as that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts