Flynn signed

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
It could be worse. Instead of getting injured our QB could have retired with a crying farewell, then unretired, then retired, then unretired.....:whistling:
How would that be worse? We know the ENTIRE time that we had AR as a backup, and we knew it more than 6 days before opening day. Nice dig, that is completely off topic, but it does fail miserably

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only reason I am doubtful on him right now, is that the other teams were quick to dismiss him for rookies or back up rookies. That right there must be a major clue that something was wrong with him. We all know he can command a huddle, has a decent rnough arm and is fairly accurate.
That or maybe he just isn't as good as we all thought he was.
There was something in those other QBs that those teams saw that they didn't see in Flynn.
Who knows why he was cut and what he can really do. Or maybe he was just a one-hit wonder in GB.
It's really hard to tell what a player can do until he is put into a situation.
Like with Favre. The Falcons gave him a chance. He didn't produce. Then he comes to GB and, well, you know the rest.
So maybe Flynn could still be an awesome QB with the right team, which he already tried, or maybe those games for GB was it for him.
Still, it's strange to have him back.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Munch

NFL Owner
Reaction score
Report: Packers QB Wallace likely heading to IR
10:12 AMCaitlyn Holroyd

The Green Bay Packers could be without quarterback Seneca Wallace for the remainder of the season, according to Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Report: Packers QB Wallace likely heading to IR
10:12 AMCaitlyn Holroyd

The Green Bay Packers could be without quarterback Seneca Wallace for the remainder of the season, according to Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com.

Awww.......medical report must be saying it's a broken ****** and sprained *****.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised to read today that the Packers actually called Flynn the morning after the Bears game when Rodgers went down, and NOT only after Wallace went down:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/231792281.html
Flynn said the workout he took part in Monday was finalized last Tuesday, so the Packers were bringing him in despite having both Seneca Wallace and Scott Tolzien. Flynn said he was under the impression that if he threw well he woud be signed.

If the Packers did intend to sign Flynn, that means they were going to have to cut either Tolzien or Wallace. Chances are they would have gotten rid of Tolzien given Wallace had been preparing all year as the backup. It's possible they thought they could get Tolzien back on the practice squad.

That all became moot when Wallace injured his groin Sunday against Philadelphia and Tolzien came in and played amazingly well for not having had many practice snaps.
It seems like we've got a pretty good backup duo now in Tolzien and Flynn.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at his win/loss record, I'm not too sure if we really should have brought him back.
Setting aside the old "He knows the system" crap, is Flynn really the best option?
I hope the coaches know what they are doing.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you GoPGo, although here is what I find troubling about Flynn...he failed to secure the starting job in either Oakland or Buffalo, both struggling teams that merely needed an average QB. I understand losing out in Seattle. He's no Russell Wilson. I don't understand losing out to zero competition in those other two towns. I still think that he's a good backup option for us, but something doesnt' pass the sniff test. He says that his elbow was a problem in training camp, but that it wasn't a factor in him being shipping out of town in Oakland and Buffalo. He was accused by an unnamed source (see below) of being a 9to5er, yet he dismissed that claim as ignorant. So if his elbow was fine and he was putting in extra time trying to learn the offenses, why did he not perform well and get cut by two mediocre-at-best teams? Why did two former bosses in Reggie McKenzie and Joe Philbin give up on the kid?

I know that I'm worried, but I still think that like at LSU, Flynn fits into the Packers scheme really well. That was one of the big knocks on him coming out of college was that he was a "system" quarterback. Well I guess that he works well in the Packers system now too, and I hope that it continues.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...mism-b99137891z1-231315881.html#ixzz2kLmkhtaq
Sources said the major reason Seattle gave the job to Russell Wilson in 2012 and then traded Flynn to Oakland was commitment. Flynn, according to sources, became a 9-to-5er and, not only was he outperformed, he also was outworked. One Seahawks teammate did say Flynn was a master on the ping-pong table.

In Oakland, the combination of Flynn's mediocre work habits and an awful showing Sept. 29 in a start against Washington led GM Reggie McKenzie to cut him.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Hopefully, he never sees the field and just collects another paycheck. How much $ has Flynn been paid in his NFL career thus far? For what, two starts?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2012 and 2013, Flynn has signed contracts worth $23.68 million and has pocked $14.5 million so far. I don't believe that includes his contracts with Buffalo and Green Bay which are about $715k each, although both appear to be prorated - meaning that his hit to the Packers is only $261k this year.

No matter what, that's a load of cash to sit on the bench and essentially play in one game for the Raiders.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2012 and 2013, Flynn has signed contracts worth $23.68 million and has pocked $14.5 million so far. I don't believe that includes his contracts with Buffalo and Green Bay which are about $715k each, although both appear to be prorated - meaning that his hit to the Packers is only $261k this year.

No matter what, that's a load of cash to sit on the bench and essentially play in one game for the Raiders.
Drug dealers are now rethinking their careers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was surprised to read today that the Packers actually called Flynn the morning after the Bears game when Rodgers went down, and NOT only after Wallace went down:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/231792281.html

So the Packers called Flynn the day after the Bear game???

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/call-vince-young-or-matt-flynn-and-now.47785/

I am not posting that thread to call anyone out, but to remind people that just because nothing is being reported, doesnt mean Ted is just sitting on his hands...

robertk328

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could be. Tough call though. Give the kid a chance -- but would Flynn go in with no reps while Tolzien gets them all again? Not saying he's the magic elixir, I'm in camp of skeptics that think he'll just be another part of the round table. I like Tolzien -- I think he was starting to get going (enough, anyway) until the JPP interception (Julius Peppers, anyone?) that took the wind out of the sails.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has stated that he is optimistic about being ready for this game.
Of course that was a few days ago so it is still a wait and see situation.

If not Rodgers then Flynn needs to go in.
We need a seasoned QB with a few games under his belt instead of a green kid in not Air-Run.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers has stated that he is optimistic about being ready for this game.
Of course that was a few days ago so it is still a wait and see situation.

If not Rodgers then Flynn needs to go in.
We need a seasoned QB with a few games under his belt instead of a green kid in not Air-Run.

Realistically Flynn only has 3 starts, (Detroit, NE, and one in Oakland) and Scott has one (almost 2 if you think about it)

Members online

Latest posts