Flynn signed

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Matt Flynn didn't sign - he willed the pen.
Matt Flynn didn't work out - his doppelganger worked out - Matt was busy preventing an earthquake in California by lifting the edge of the state.
All hail the savior!

H

HardRightEdge

That we signed anybody indicates Wallace will not be available this week. We had to sign somebody and the pickins are slim. I don't think anybody wants to see Jordy Nelson at QB. And nobody should want Vince Young back there either. There are several question marks surrounding Flynn that at this point nobody, including Packer management, can be confident are resolved.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Rodgers comes back. I don't think we'll be able to send Tolzien back to the practice squad if he keeps moving the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Flynn I am sure had to pass a physical..

Who was the guy signed off our practice squad who turned out to have a torn ACL that nobody seemed to know about? How soon we forget.

Did Flynn submit to an MRI on his throwing elbow rumored to be dicey, or was it just a physical exam? Poking the elbow and not seeing the guy flinch only goes so far.

Oakland paid him a good deal of money; I'm sure they did a physical exam. Yet the rumors persist he came to Oakland with the ailing elbow.

Even if they did an MRI, elbow tendonitis can flare and subside, while remaining chronic. Light work or a few weeks of rest can make it look and feel just fine...put it under the stress of a bunch of reps and it can flare. QB arms are like Ferraris...it takes very little to throw them out of tune. If he's been adjusting his mechanics to compensate, accuracy goes out the window.

If the elbow is bad, it's possible it started because of inattention to his mechanics...getting back with the guys who helped build his mechanics might set things right. Who knows if that's the issue or if it can be fixed?

Then there's all this stuff the last two years about Flynn being a 9-5 worker who spends a fair amount of time polishing his ping pong game. Did the money ruin him? When you're not a particularly physically gifted guy like Flynn, desire has to carry the day. He was a gamer...what is he now?

Nobody, including MM and TT, will know the answers to these questions unless and until he plays, or at least takes a bunch of practice reps which won't be happening in the foreseeable future.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing.
There are only a certain amount of practice reps to go around during the short week.
Leading up to Chicago, Rodgers took almost all of them. Wallace took just a handful.
When McClellin crushed Rodgers collarbone, and the Packers Super Bowl hopes with them perhaps, it made Wallace go in there and he was unprepared, as we all horrifically had to witness.

So McCarthy worked extra hard prepping him for the Eagles last week.
And Wallace rewarded MM by exiting on the end of the first drive, from a non-contact muscle strain.

So MM turned the Wallace page immediately it would appear. And I credit him for that. He is sick of guys not being available.

So McCarthy will spend as much time as possible with Tolzien on the Giants this week, and he doesn't have time to get a brand new QB up to speed.
Flynn at least is very familiar with the basis of this playbook.
Things have changed obviously in the 1.5 seasons since he left. But it's the system Matt knows best, and Flynn can be up to speed a lot sooner than anyone else can.
Think back to Josh Freeman a few weeks ago when they had him start at the Giants, who were 0-6 at that time. He looked horrible.

Let's hope this at the least: Tolzien takes all the snaps this Sunday at the Giants.
That would, at the least, mean we don't have a QB get hurt for the 3rd straight game.

H

HardRightEdge

Here's the thing.
There are only a certain amount of practice reps to go around during the short week.
Leading up to Chicago, Rodgers took almost all of them. Wallace took just a handful.
When McClellin crushed Rodgers collarbone, and the Packers Super Bowl hopes with them perhaps, it made Wallace go in there and he was unprepared, as we all horrifically had to witness.

So McCarthy worked extra hard prepping him for the Eagles last week.
And Wallace rewarded MM by exiting on the end of the first drive, from a non-contact muscle strain.

So MM turned the Wallace page immediately it would appear. And I credit him for that. He is sick of guys not being available.

So McCarthy will spend as much time as possible with Tolzien on the Giants this week, and he doesn't have time to get a brand new QB up to speed.
Flynn at least is very familiar with the basis of this playbook.
Things have changed obviously in the 1.5 seasons since he left. But it's the system Matt knows best, and Flynn can be up to speed a lot sooner than anyone else can.
Think back to Josh Freeman a few weeks ago when they had him start at the Giants, who were 0-6 at that time. He looked horrible.

Let's hope this at the least: Tolzien takes all the snaps this Sunday at the Giants.
That would, at the least, mean we don't have a QB get hurt for the 3rd straight game.

Once the season starts, the only meaningful field work a backup QB gets is with the scout team...with second and third stringers emulating the other team's scheme. There's virtually no game plan work for that guy outside the position room...and the white board by itself doesn't get you very far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Flynn I am sure had to pass a physical..

So what does this say to Tolzien ??? "Thanks for giving it your best effort kid, but there`s the door because Matt`s back. He`s injured, but still our best option".
And what if Tolzien plays out of his skin on Sunday ??? Wallace clears his locker ??? :whistling:

DON BARRETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tolzien is not that bad he needs more reps! was at the game he made some good throws and some bad. (Eagles passing defence was about last in the league so that helped) But he threw better than Foles did. Eagles got 3 crappy passing TD's. Flynn will play only if he screws up badly. The pack has to win the next 3 games or it is over.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
S. Wallace should have never had a locker to worry about clearing out in the first place. He was/is the poorest choice in back ups. He is even below the dreaded brady Quinn level.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We needed someone to back up Tolzien and Flynn appeared to be the best option given his familiarity with the system.
Hopefully he won't have to play, Tolzien plays solid and injury free and Aaron is back as expected.
And oh yeah, the defense puts together a few good games.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Might as well let the water boy try being QB. Flynn would have been a good choice if he wasnt already injured. Signing a guy with arm/elbow issues???????? Because he knows the offense.....wow...last thing we need is another injured QB. I would have went back and asked vince young to come back, at least he was healthy and more mobile.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reality is that none of us know the status of Flynn's arm except for Flynn, the Packers (hopefully), and the other teams that he played for this season. I won't chastise them yet.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buggy, we had to sign someone since we are currently down to 1 QB. When Rogers gets healthy, someone has to go. Tolzien looked very good to me, and is younger, so I would think Wallace will be cut; and if Flynn's elbow is truly a problem, he'd go on IR. BTW, Wallace looked just fine on his only drive Sunday. If we had a defense that controlled the LOS, we could have won with either one. I've said in the past that NFL teams win with offense today--but that's only with a QB the quality of a Rogers. Now we have to win with defense until he returns.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Buggy, we had to sign someone since we are currently down to 1 QB. When Rogers gets healthy, someone has to go. Tolzien looked very good to me, and is younger, so I would think Wallace will be cut; and if Flynn's elbow is truly a problem, he'd go on IR. BTW, Wallace looked just fine on his only drive Sunday. If we had a defense that controlled the LOS, we could have won with either one. I've said in the past that NFL teams win with offense today--but that's only with a QB the quality of a Rogers. Now we have to win with defense until he returns.

And the Packers have an enormous play book on offense. So Flynn, though damaged goods, is the only sensible person to come in on short notice. As I mentioned in another thread, they can keep his elbow problems to a minimum with a lot of **** and dunk stuff if they have to. I think Coach really likes Tolzien. It will be interesting to see who gets the boot when Aaron is back.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The reality is that none of us know the status of Flynn's arm except for Flynn, the Packers (hopefully), and the other teams that he played for this season. I won't chastise them yet.

The only reason I am doubtful on him right now, is that the other teams were quick to dismiss him for rookies or back up rookies. That right there must be a major clue that something was wrong with him. We all know he can command a huddle, has a decent rnough arm and is fairly accurate.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the Packers have an enormous play book on offense. So Flynn, though damaged goods, is the only sensible person to come in on short notice. As I mentioned in another thread, they can keep his elbow problems to a minimum with a lot of **** and dunk stuff if they have to. I think Coach really likes Tolzien. It will be interesting to see who gets the boot when Aaron is back.

I think Seneca is done. We know Flynn knows the system and it's a decent back up to hace in case of emergency. Tolzien showed a lot of upside. Seneca has proven nothing

Members online

Latest posts