Flynn showed yesterday why he is only backup QB material

D

Deleted member 6794

Could it be Flynn doesnt do good in 1st half (Dallas, Falcon games) that makes him HAVE to get a 4th q comeback?

And maybe Rodgers is winning at half time, 3rd q and no need to have a comeback?

Someone find the score of the Packers with Rodgers going into the 4th q

Since 2009 the Packers have only trailed 14 times after three quarters when Rodgers started and didn't leave because of injury. Their record in those games is 4-10.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to second you, Flynn doesn't deserve to be criticized for his 4th quarter play, and as much as it'll hurt to hear these numbers, Flynn has three 4th quarter comebacks in less than 10 career starts while Rodgers has five in six years as a starter. Not taking anything away from Rodgers, there are many reasons for those numbers that don't involve him but my point is that Flynn has been very solid in the 4th, overall.
And how many games like yesterday did Rodgers have where they did have the comeback only to lose it? Flynn should have had a fourth.

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn zeros in on 1 WR. He always has. He doesn't go through the progressions.

I have said this same thing since Flynn has been starting. Last week quarless was his only receiver. This week it was Boykin. I was at the game and let me just say j ordy was WIDE open with a slant under boykin but flynn like I said has his guy for the week.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Flynn has done an admirable job as a backup who has been mostly on the sidelines since he left the Packers for greener grass (bucks).

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have said this same thing since Flynn has been starting. Last week quarless was his only receiver. This week it was Boykin. I was at the game and let me just say j ordy was WIDE open with a slant under boykin but flynn like I said has his guy for the week.

Ya it is unfortunate that flynn did not even look at what would have been one of the easier TD throws of his life at the end of the Steelers game.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow people, really? Flynn is a major reason why the Packers are still thinking playoffs. He makes mistakes yes but i've never seen Flynn get to high or to low. Same dimeanor all the time. If flynn doesn't save the day against Dallas or Minnesota we are debating on who we should draft right now instead of talking division championship.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Really started to notice how bad flynn stares down his WR and does not look for his 2nd or 3rd read. So bad that sometimes he is eyeballing the WR before the snap.....no clue as to why DB's are not feasting on him for INT's...... watch the QB's eyes, easiest way to read him. He also is NOT accurate on any throw over 15 yards..... how many time did that ball go high or wayyyyy to far out of bounds when he tries to make a side line toss. I think that if Arod had played healthy for the steelers game we would have put uo 50+ points on those clowns. Another note: anyone else notice that during the steelers game, flynn had ZERO zip on the ball? He didn't throw one tight laser pass.....weak looking throws.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow people, really? Flynn is a major reason why the Packers are still thinking playoffs. He makes mistakes yes but i've never seen Flynn get to high or to low. Same dimeanor all the time. If flynn doesn't save the day against Dallas or Minnesota we are debating on who we should draft right now instead of talking division championship.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Flynn is horrible, and admit that without him we would not be where we are right now. However, you can't deny that he seems to have some sort of inexplicable aversion to using the 2 best receivers on the team right now in Nelson and Jones. I mean watching the pack over the last few weeks it has been very frustrating watching the 2 guys who are able to make ridiculous catches not even be involved in the game.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Flynn is horrible, and admit that without him we would not be where we are right now. However, you can't deny that he seems to have some sort of inexplicable aversion to using the 2 best receivers on the team right now in Nelson and Jones. I mean watching the pack over the last few weeks it has been very frustrating watching the 2 guys who are able to make ridiculous catches not even be involved in the game.

Might be due to the fact that he has a much better short passing game and that is where his confidence is. It is evident that his long ball skills are lacking with the inaccurate throws he has been making the past fews games on long balls.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He targeted James Jones like 11 times last game. Jones finished with what? 8 or 9 catches and about 86 yds? As for Jordy we have to keep in mind Jordy is doing most of his work from the slot now. I watched some film and i'm seeing teams play bracket coverage on him when he's there. Hentz the reason you see Boykin playing some of his finest ball as he is seeing single coverage ...vs Jordy being bracketed. I can guarantee you that if Cobb was playing Jordy would be seeing alot more action and it wouldn't matter who was at qb.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He targeted James Jones like 11 times last game. Jones finished with what? 8 or 9 catches and about 86 yds? As for Jordy we have to keep in mind Jordy is doing most of his work from the slot now. I watched some film and i'm seeing teams play bracket coverage on him when he's there. Hentz the reason you see Boykin playing some of his finest ball as he is seeing single coverage ...vs Jordy being bracketed. I can guarantee you that if Cobb was playing Jordy would be seeing alot more action and it wouldn't matter who was at qb.

One game makes a pattern? I think you are missing the point here which is what many people have said, he to often locks onto a receiver instead of looking at all available options. That is all am getting at. Just a critique of his play, I am not trying to bash your golden boy. :)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does it matter now? Because next week is going to be a brutal, down-to-the-wire game and while some insist Rodgers would be a risk and rusty ala Jay Cutler against the Eagles, I think he's still our best option over Flynn who has been pretty good these past weeks. We need that guy that's going to deliver when it matters most. Not to mention with Lacy and Matthews likely out, we need Aaron to step up. My two cents.
Why does it matter? Please explain this.

The Packers are 7-7-1 but could have been 8-6-1. The Bears are 8-7. It did not matter whether we won or loss. We still have to beat the Bears next week.

Flynn played a very good game for someone who has a limited number of games under his belt. I think he would be a solid starting QB in the NFL in after a season of starts to his credit.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One game makes a pattern? I think you are missing the point here which is what many people have said, he to often locks onto a receiver instead of looking at all available options. That is all am getting at. Just a critique of his play, I am not trying to bash your golden boy. :)

Hey call it what you want but i have mad respect for Flynn..he has made it bearable without Rodgers and has us in position to win the division. Green Bay owes him a couple free Brews. Imagine what our record would be if Scott "int machine" Tolzien was playing?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Hey call it what you want but i have mad respect for Flynn..he has made it bearable without Rodgers and has us in position to win the division. Green Bay owes him a couple free Brews. Imagine what our record would be if Scott "int machine" Tolzien was playing?

A bit harsh on Tolzien I think, but I agree with you that without Flynn, we would have been dead before now. Tolzien just needs more time learning the system.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I will get beat up for this but, it's Flynn from here on. it's up to the COACH to get this guy prepared!! prepared!! if not they can't be much use as a coach(s) and should be replaced…
Sure, fire McCarthy or Clements or McAdoo because they can’t make Flynn’s arm stronger or because he doesn’t go through progressions. I’m sure they’re teaching him to zero in on one receiver. And one of them should have told Flynn if someone is wide open in the EZ, throw it to him instead of a covered receiver.

BTW on the pick 6 Larry McCarren said it was a running play on which the QB has the option to throw that pass. If you look at a replay, the OL is blocking for a run, not pass. Quarless took the wrong route to lead block on the play. But according to McCarren, there wasn’t an audible missed. The fumble and missing Jordy in the EZ were on Flynn, but not the pick 6 IMO.

I hope both Flynn and Tolzien are in TC next year but IMO Tolzien has the potential to be the better backup QB because his arm is significantly stronger. His ability to hit the longer throws accurately stretches the field and opens up the intermediate passing and running games. IMO his mechanics lack the fine tuning an off season would provide and of course he lacks the familiarity with the offense Flynn has. But he’s smart and dedicated and he’s signed for next season for $645K. “One thing Tolzien hasn't done is mope. "No!" McCarthy exclaimed. "The guy goes forever after practice. Tremendous, tremendous work ethic. I love his mind. We have some things we can help him with." http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...t-tolzien-a-packer-b99163157z1-235832321.html

H

HardRightEdge

Sure, fire McCarthy or Clements or McAdoo because they can’t make Flynn’s arm stronger or because he doesn’t go through progressions. I’m sure they’re teaching him to zero in on one receiver. And one of them should have told Flynn if someone is wide open in the EZ, throw it to him instead of a covered receiver.

BTW on the pick 6 Larry McCarren said it was a running play on which the QB has the option to throw that pass. If you look at a replay, the OL is blocking for a run, not pass. Quarless took the wrong route to lead block on the play. But according to McCarren, there wasn’t an audible missed. The fumble and missing Jordy in the EZ were on Flynn, but not the pick 6 IMO.

I hope both Flynn and Tolzien are in TC next year but IMO Tolzien has the potential to be the better backup QB because his arm is significantly stronger. His ability to hit the longer throws accurately stretches the field and opens up the intermediate passing and running games. IMO his mechanics lack the fine tuning an off season would provide and of course he lacks the familiarity with the offense Flynn has. But he’s smart and dedicated and he’s signed for next season for $645K. “One thing Tolzien hasn't done is mope. "No!" McCarthy exclaimed. "The guy goes forever after practice. Tremendous, tremendous work ethic. I love his mind. We have some things we can help him with." http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...t-tolzien-a-packer-b99163157z1-235832321.html
QB mechanics are notoriously hard to fix. We remember the successes, but they are outnumbered by the failures. Tolzien has a low release point, and stuff goes haywire when he's not in a clean set. I'll reserve judgement for next preseason.

Somebody's going to mention the question marks regarding Rodgers' mechanics coming out of Cal and how MM "fixed" them. However, according to Rodgers, he came out of high school with the preferred NFL mechanics, the ones you see today. The Cal coaches made him change to the high pre-release position. So, there really was no fixing to do.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Tolzien may not be the answer but I think he's got a very good chance to be. I'm pretty sure if he's not the answer it won't be for a lack of trying on his part and IMO he's got the physical tools and intelligence missing in Harrell and Coleman, for example.

I really don't understand why McCarthy and his staff don’t get the credit they deserve for developing Rodgers. Of course I understand why some Packers “fans” don’t give them credit but for others I think some may not remember Rodgers' first couple of seasons: Rodgers was bad. McGinn wrote an article in January of 2012 detailing Rodgers’ early years:
“Rodgers participated fully in the quarterback school led by position coach Tom Clements. Still, he was inconsistent in the off-season and only slightly improved in his second training camp. There was considerable optimism after Rodgers turned in his best performance up to then in the exhibition opener against San Diego. But he was very average in the second game, not very good in the third and awful in the fourth. In his only meaningful regular-season appearance, Rodgers played the entire second half against New England. Once again, he played poorly, holding the ball for three sacks and missing several open receivers.”
From the same article regarding his mechanics:
“He had been taught at California by coach Jeff Tedford to carry the ball high near his ear, on the so-called "shelf." Rodgers insisted that it quickened his release and sharpened his accuracy, but it also limited his ability to vary his release point against pressure and probably prevented him from really driving the ball downfield. McCarthy has said the Packers worked with Rodgers to carry the ball lower to enhance his natural throwing motion, and by about his third year his ball positioning no longer was an issue.”
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/136856133.html

It was only after two off seasons of McCarthy’s QB school that Rodgers began to blossom.

Members online

Latest posts