Flynn pushing Brohm for backup role

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=781542

By GREG A. BEDARD
[email protected]
Posted: Aug. 9, 2008
Green Bay - When the Green Bay Packers take the field Monday night for their first exhibition game, much of the attention on the quarterback position will be focused on starter Aaron Rodgers for obvious reasons.

But once he finishes his work after about a quarter, things won't get any less interesting as far as the Packers are concerned.

Not only are rookies Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn engaged in a competition that seems to have gotten much closer, but how they perform in game-action will shape the Packers' thought process about the position.

If Brohm and Flynn fall on their faces, the Packers likely will start taking a closer look at veterans that may prove more capable backups to Rodgers.

"We're not really thinking about that," Flynn said Saturday. "From what they've told us so far, it's us three guys. We're going to go out and perform the best we can. All I can control is what I can do. I can't control what anyone else does. I'm just focused on playing the best football I can."

And Flynn has been doing that of late. After getting off to a rough start in off-season practices, Flynn has slowly progressed to the point that he and Brohm are nearly splitting the snaps behind Rodgers. Brohm still gets the majority, but Flynn certainly is getting more this week, and he has responded.

"I think Matt, particularly, has taken a couple of big jumps here the last two days," coach Mike McCarthy said Friday.

When Brohm and Flynn were drafted in April, most figured Brohm would be Rodgers' backup. Brohm was a second-round pick, a polished collegiate player who started all 33 games his final three seasons at Louisville. He's got the big arm and could carry a team.

Flynn was taken in the seventh round. And despite playing at a high-profile school in Louisiana State - and leading the Tigers to the national championship last season - Flynn wasn't highly regarded coming out of school. The feeling was that he benefited from the talent around him and didn't get in the way. A Trent Dilfer on the collegiate level, so to speak.

But since training camp began, Packers coaches and front-office personnel have grown fonder of Flynn. They like his decision-making ability - his checks at the line have been spot-on and he has devoured the playbook - and the way he leads a team. Flynn is popular with his fellow rookies and often spends much of his downtime playing board games with teammates in the locker room.

All that adds up to a player who is no longer an afterthought compared to Brohm.

"I can see how it could be swayed a little bit different, Matt might not be getting the credit he deserves (compared to Brohm)," Rodgers said. "Matt's a talented player. He's got solid arm strength, he makes good decisions, I think his fundamentals are pretty solid. He understands the game. He's extremely bright, which has been impressive, they both are. But Matt's a good player.

"To see the difference of some of the guys we've had come in here and know that Matt was drafted in the seventh round, I mean that's a steal right there. I think Matt is definitely a guy that can be in the league for eight, 10, 12 years and be a productive player."

Flynn understands he has his share of critics, but he thinks they're dead-wrong.

"I have confidence in my abilities and I have confidence that I can play at this level," said Flynn, who was 6 of 11 in the intrasquad scrimmage. "I believe my best football is in front of me."

Flynn feels most have no idea what he's capable of because he hasn't gotten the chance to show it. Of his 437 passing attempts at LSU, 82% (359) came in his senior season.

Brohm, on the other hand, was tested throughout his four years at Louisville. After appearing in 11 games as a freshman, Brohm averaged 362 attempts over his final three seasons.

Still, Brohm has struggled of late. He completed just 6 of 15 passes (40%) in the scrimmage, and was intercepted in each of the past two practices.

When they each take on the Bengals, Rodgers said Brohm and Flynn will need to adjust.

"The big challenge for any first-year player is dealing with the speed of the game," Rodgers said. "They're going to have to make really quick decisions."

Said Brohm: "We'll get out in the game situations in the first game and hopefully things aren't going too fast, things will slow down like they have in practice. That's real the goal."

How Brohm and Flynn perform in the games will determine whether the Packers bring in a veteran to back up Rodgers. Right now, they have no plans to do so. But the appearance of any quarterback on the sideline with more career starts than Rodgers, who has yet to make one, could complicate things for Rodgers.

"I've been thinking about that a little bit," Rodgers said. "But I've been thinking these are our guys, so personally I'm pulling for both of these guys to play well. We need somebody that's going to be ready to play behind me. So I'm hoping they both have solid pre-seasons, get ready to go and then we can feel good about the guys behind me."

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Flynn beats Brohm in the 1st exhibition, you guys reckon he may get the 1st backup role in the 2nd?

shanks2122

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RockJock07 "No way Brohm is getting beat out by Flynn, we haven't even seen a damn game yet, let's just see how tonight goes."

Im suprised this discussion is even brought up. If anything i thought brohm would push rodgers(i really like rodgers by the way), either flynn is playing great or brohm is really strugglying. But you're right rockjock lets see what happens tonight.

Strobl2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally thought that Flynn played a lot better, and controlled the game a lot better than brohm did in the Family Night Scrimmage.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually predicted that Flynn might beat out Brohm a while ago. Flynn's a blue collar guy that his teammates like.

RockJock07

Cheesehead
Reaction score
millertime said:
I actually predicted that Flynn might beat out Brohm a while ago. Flynn's a blue collar guy that his teammates like.

I don't disagree with you, I think he's a hard worker but Brohm has been brought up a qb ever since childhood. He would have been a top 10 pick had he not been hurt and in time, with the help of MM QB classes, I think Brohm is gonna be a star and will provide great insurance if Aaron decides not to re-sign.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we will have to see what happens with it. But you know how the whole quarterback situation goes...Sometimes things are not how they appear. (Example Tom Brady) No one would have expected him to be great. Who knows what could happen if they get a chance.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we will have to see what happens with it. But you know how the whole quarterback situation goes...Sometimes things are not how they appear. (Example Tom Brady) No one would have expected him to be great. Who knows what could happen if they get a chance.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where are all the Brohm fans now?

He starts off w/an interception.

It was CLEARLY evident that Brohm throws a very slow Chad Pennington type ball.
He doesn't have enough zip to give the receivers opportunities.

IF he had more zip he gives the receivers more time to work with.
W/his slow ball, he allows the defense to close on his throws.

He almost got Ruvell Martin's head knocked off.

ALSO he should work on not eyeing the receivers.

He's going to start ahead of Aaron?
Ummm...okay.

I think he should worry about Flynn beating him out than trying to catch Rodgers.

Flynn played MUCH better....

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brohm has a serious lack of arm strength for an NFL QB.

The hail mary before the half did not even travel 50 yards.

I'm 45 years old and I can still throw it 45+.

RockJock07

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that INT wasn't Brohm's fault, the bengals DB literally pushed down the intended WR on the play and if you saw after the play, MM went up to the WR (forgot who it was) and talked to him. I thought Brohm looked better the longer he was in. Flynn looked average against the 3rd string defense.

It's one game and think that the QB situation played out like I thought. Aaron looked good, Brohm will end up being the 2nd qb and Flynn looked average but not as bad as I thought.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn made a solid case tonight for keeping him on the 53-man roster. I'm not ready to throw Brohm under the bus yet for one below average performance in his first preseason action as a rookie. We may very well keep all 3 on the roster this year though instead of going with 2 like last season.

TheEngineer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure where I read it, but in terms of arm strength for Packers QBs:

Aaron Rodgers
-gap-
Brian Brohm
-gap-
Matt Flynn

In other words, there's a noticeable drop off between each of these QBs, as mentioned during one of the training camp blogs/reviews.

PackSmack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree that Flynn looked much snappier than Brohm.

True, Brohm's interception was the result of gross defensive pass interference, but he did not look as decisive as Flynn who seemed to be in a rhythm. To me, Flynn looked like a leader, Brohm looked more like an explorer. The latter would say, 'how can I get around you?', while the former would say, 'stop me if you can.'

This is just an initial assessment. We'll see how the rest of the pre-season goes for both, anything could happen.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brohm looked like who he is -- a rookie QB getting his first live game action in a complex offense. It appeared to me that he was spending a lot of time looking around/thinking about what to do. This made him appear hesitant, indecisive and late with the throw.

Rodgers looked rather poor his first preseason, but progressed very well by the next year and now he's looking like a solid starting QB. Brohm has the tools, skills and training to become a very good QB someday. To expect him to be great at this point though I think is asking too much.

Flynn on the other hand is impressive. It appears that he's been able to grasp the system better, which could be the reason for his higher level of confidence. He may have played against 3rd stringers, but he also was playing with 3rd stringers, while effectively running a no huddle offense. Since he has been able to pick things up quicker, he might end up winning the 2nd string spot for awhile. That being said, it's still more likely that Brohm will eventually become the backup QB and he could push for the starting spot in a year or two.

GO PACK GO!!!

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if this was mentioned, but Rodgers said a couple of receivers ran the wrong route on Brohm's first pass play - the INT. No wonder he looked lost on that play. After that he handled himself pretty well, I thought. Both rookies seem promising, but they also seem like rookies.

Members online

Latest posts