Flynn making things interesting

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like the job Matt Flynn has done. I also think that Brian Brohm will figure it out one day as the article below suggests.

Packer Report.com

Flynn adds intrigue to QB derby

By Bob Fox
[email protected]
Posted Aug 30, 2008

It’s tough being a rookie quarterback, but Flynn has picked up things faster than Brohm.

The Green Bay Packers’ quarterback situation continues to be interesting.

Except for a blip in San Francisco, starter Aaron Rodgers had a fine preseason, ending up with a career-high passer rating of 106.3 to surpass his 2007 preseason mark of 98.3. Rodgers showed he has a excellent grasp of Mike McCarthy's offense.

The backup quarterback situation, however, is a little more muddled. Second-round draft pick Brian Brohm finished with a 45.2 rating, while seventh-round pick Matt Flynn ended up with a 100.2 rating.

Learning to play quarterback in the NFL is difficult for a rookie. Just ask Rodgers. Rodgers had a 39.3 passer rating as a rookie in 2005 and just 48.2 in 2006.

The Packers have some options. Will they pick up a veteran to back up Rodgers? Perhaps. If the right guy becomes available, though it seems general manager Ted Thompson and McCarthy are happy with their three quarterbacks.

While Brohm has struggled, there is no way the Packers would cut him. You just don't cut a second-round draft pick. Flynn won't be released, either, based on his fine performance this preseason. You can't risk cutting Flynn to put him on the practice squad, as everyone has film of his preseason performance.

Would the Packers consider getting a veteran quarterback and keeping four on the roster? That’s doubtful. Expect the Packers to stay with their three quarterbacks, and pick up a veteran only if Rodgers gets hurt. For now, though, youth will be served.

Flynn deserves to be Rodgers’ backup. Flynn finished the summer completing 27-of-42 passes for 209 yards and three touchdowns. Though he fumbled three times, he did not throw an interception. He proved on Thursday, like he did many times at LSU, that he loves the pressure of performing when a drive has to be made. Plus, he showed excellent mobility, such as his 21-yard scamper on third-and-17.

“I’ve always had confidence in myself,” Flynn said after Thursday’s 8-for-13, two-touchdown performance. “I think we had good execution tonight, and when you get those touchdowns, it solidifies your confidence.”

Flynn has proven a lot of his detractors wrong this preseason. Just like he did at LSU, when he led the Tigers to a national championship last year. There is something about being a championship quarterback.

Brohm is not a lost cause, as Rodgers has proven. Things can change over time, and the light eventually goes on for young quarterbacks. Flynn has a lot to learn in the NFL, but the light is flickering more for him than for Brohm.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Flynn, although most people think that another team wouldn't pick him up even if he was released. He is a winner, I like winners.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn would be picked up quickly i think. couple his college career with his short lived pre season success and some team with QB woes would definetly snatch him up.

I think its really important to note that Flynn and Brohm are working with second team players. Now i realize that most of the time they were going up against second and third teamers as well, but you have to believe that if Flynn is behind center (if Aaron gets hurt or something) and he has a better oline that he will have more time and might look a lot better. And he would be throwing to DD, Greg, James and ruvell instead of Taj Smith, Quinn and Swain.

I think that MM and TT are looking at that when they say they feel fine with the QBs on the roster.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And remember most QBs don't set the world on fire as rookies, not even BF. I'm sure both of these fellas will be on the final roster. But I'll be curious to see if TT picks up a vet QB on waivers after all of the teams' final cut downs...

Members online

Latest posts