Florio on Favre

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Florio at ProFootballtalk.com on Favre's return:
-------------------
"LORD FAVRE (YAWN) IS COMING BACK

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre informed the team on Tuesday that he'll be returning for the 2006 season.

Anyone who has been coming to this site for the past month or so knows that this is old news. Indeed, we've just heard from our original source regarding the "Favre is returning" story that the more accurate characterization of the development is that Favre gave the team permission on Tuesday to announce publicly that which the organization already has known.

Though we never could quite figure out Favre's motivation for telling the team that he was coming back but not officially granting the team authority to say so, the simple reality could be that (as former teammate Mark Chmura suggested a few weeks back) Favre likes the attention.

And plenty of it he got.

At one point, we concluded that Favre's public questioning of the team's failure to make a splash in free agency was aimed at securing for himself a no-lose proposition in 2006. If the team sucks, he gets no blame. If the team is good, he gets all of the credit. So even though the chances of pulling an Elway are low, climbing back to the top of an undermanned NFC North could, given the low level of expectations, provide the same kind of feel-good final chapter to Favre's career.

Indeed, what has the team done since Favre's April 8 presser about nothing, where he called for the team to sign an impact free agent? Under his own stated reasoning, he rightly should have quit.

Frankly, we doubted our report that Favre was returning only once, in the wake of that press conference. But our source promptly informed us that the Packers had given the NFL specific assurances that Favre would be back before the NFL handed the team three prime time appearances in 2006.

And with the expectations now appropriately lowered in Green Bay, allow us to be the first to predict that the Packers won't be as bad as most pundits presume they will be. We'll predict at least a 9-7 record in Favre's final season, with an outside shot at a playoff berth.
----------

Does a nice job of summarizing. It was fairly obvious to me Favre would return when the Packers were scheduled on TV late in the season(TV must catch the tearful goodbye's...)

The guys at PackerChatters who have been talking to folks inside the team say Walker is starting to talk to to the team again and TT is open to discussing a new contract. Walker's return would go a long way to helping the team.

With Favre and Walker, the successful return of Green and the emergence of Gado, maybe the addition of Vernon Davis and a lineman or two, the offense will come back.

I've never figured out all the dissing of the Green Bay defense. The run defense wasn't great, but the pass defense was #1 in the league. With Pickett and Manual, the team will be better, especially if they can bolster the secondary via Woodson or the draft.

9-7 is not out of the question.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I have a suspicion that this was a set-up by TT all along. He wanted to have Favre wait until after the draft to announce the return. Now with losing Arrington and Woodson soon to sign somewhere, the announcement is made. So the reason to announce now may be to sign Woodson.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Woodson now signs with the packers, I dont know why players are not coming our way. I think it ends up being a family decision, if the player has family close by, or being able to play their old team, and of course money with some..

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope, not at all. Wrong, again, DePack.

Rodgers isn't ready and Favre is clearly better, though he isn't Brett Favre of 1996.

The one thing that I think Mike McCarthy brings to the equation is the ability to get in Favre's face and COACH him again. As much as I supported Mike Sherman, he truly failed at controlling Favre last year, and it cost the team. I think it was the key reason he was bounced. I also think that McCarthy will have no qualms sitting Favre down if he gets back into the 'I will win it all' mode again.

It also is clear that Thompson has shifted gears and is trying to win this year. Up until a couple of months ago it seemed he wanted to unload the past and move on.

But if you look at the projected starters(and with a top 5 talent coming on board) this team looks ok.(no depth, but ok from a starting perspective).

So, no DePack, I'm not unhappy Brett is coming back, if he wants to come into the situation with the attitude of rejoining the team concept and it all ain't about him.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
C'mon net...

How come you keep twisting the fact that Favre had no O-Line last year...no receivers better than NFL europe quality, and NO RUNNING game, and turn it into Favre was selfishishly thinking about himself for wanting to win it all...in an egoistic interception fest...???

And to top it off..you say a rookie HC is going to get in Favre's face and bench him if he pulls this crap again....That is to laugh...hahaha....

Face it...DePack is right...your pissed because Favre smoked all of Starr's records and you've got a hard-on against him...

It's just not right man...

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good Lord, I can't believe you 66.

I've done the Bart Starr thing 800 times because DePack can't figure it out, and now you're joining him. Five titles and two Super Bowl MVP's mean more than all the passing records. Ask Dan Marino(who holds the records) if he would want the records or the Super Bowl. Marino has said many times the championship means more than the paper.

In case you failed to read what I posted, I'm glad Brett Favre is coming back. Aren't you glad too? You can buy a new poster to put over your bed.

Brett Favre gives the Packers the best chance to win this year. The other option, Aaron Rodgers, is not ready. That was evidenced by his lousy play vs. the Ravens last year.

Please stop making excuses for Brett Favre's play last year regarding the offensive line. Samkon Gado(a free agent rookie) put up pretty good running numbers behind that line. It wasn't just the line. Brett forgot basic football(like taking the sack rather than throwing an interception) in the hope that HE could make the play, not the team.

I don't think McCarthy is going to put up with that this year(with the new running offense, it is less likely).

So you see, it's a good thing.

Please, DePack and Pack 66, try to run out a new idea once in awhile.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:

Rodgers isn't ready and Favre is clearly better, though he isn't Brett Favre of 1996.

The one thing that I think Mike McCarthy brings to the equation is the ability to get in Favre's face and COACH him again. As much as I supported Mike Sherman, he truly failed at controlling Favre last year, and it cost the team. I think it was the key reason he was bounced. I also think that McCarthy will have no qualms sitting Favre down if he gets back into the 'I will win it all' mode again.

It also is clear that Thompson has shifted gears and is trying to win this year. Up until a couple of months ago it seemed he wanted to unload the past and move on.

But if you look at the projected starters(and with a top 5 talent coming on board) this team looks ok.(no depth, but ok from a starting perspective).

So, no DePack, I'm not unhappy Brett is coming back, if he wants to come into the situation with the attitude of rejoining the team concept and it all ain't about him.
This coming year GB has a good shot at the division. A good D, Farve coming back, and I don't see a snake-bit offense two years in a row. Combine that with new systems in Detroit and Minn., that leaves just the Bears as competition.

Damn that Favre!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
C'mon net...

you've got a hard-on against him..

I know that when you say he has a hard-on against him, that's meant as a bad thing. but usually an ******** is a good thing, right? does anyone have any insight into the epistemology of that statement?

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Net brings up a good point in regards to the coaching change. I think McCarthy will get into Bretts grill a bit more and try to control the free-lancing. He already has Brett attending the Mini-s, and I think the INT Highlight reel is on the projector ready to play. MM as opposed to MS will have the balls to coach Brett and to criticize poor play. Win-Win.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
Net brings up a good point in regards to the coaching change. I think McCarthy will get into Bretts grill a bit more and try to control the free-lancing. He already has Brett attending the Mini-s, and I think the INT Highlight reel is on the projector ready to play. MM as opposed to MS will have the balls to coach Brett and to criticize poor play. Win-Win.

Least we forget, McCarthy has been Favre's coach before -- '99' when he threw the most interceptions of his career until last years fiasco which has more than disected to death.

I am not pointing this out as a slam on MM. I expect that his emphasis on running the ball and running a more traditional west coast passing offense will benefit Favre in '06' , rather I'm bring it up to say the it is highly unlikely that MM is suddenly going to change personality and/or relationship and start getting in the grill of Brett Favre.

I can see it now:

Brett Favre, a sure thing first ballot HOF QB improves on his worst season of his career when he was reduced to playing with 6th and 7th string RBs who were not in training camp, Walker and Murphy out for the season on injured reserve and Ferguson belonging there long before he was finally put on IR -- thereby leaving Brett with only Driver as a receiver who belonged starting in the NFL, a TE who missed all of training camp and the preseason to sign late and immediately go down to injury (rendering out of football shape and with no rhythm or timing), a starting Center who could not stand up between plays and no Guards who had ever played the position in the NFL;

and some obsessive guys will want to give all of the credit to TT & McCarthy to support their need to pile on an EX-coach. Classic

m M

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
(ok...last time..net..et.al.)

Favre "free-lanced" last year...BECAUSE HE HAD TO ....HE HAD NO OTHER CHOICE...

I don't understand how some of you can't see or comprehend this...!

Other than run outside the tackles and fire the football into the turf...(FOOM!)..Brett had to try and make something happen....

If you don't have a football team...you can't win...and if you don't have guys that can get open (especially in the red zone and when the one guy who can get open is consistently double teamed)..you can't win...and you will throw interceptions...

When you can't run the ball...you won't win...

When the defense and everyone in the world knows what play you're gonna run next....you can't win...

I WISH Favre would have run outside the tackles and fired the ball into the turf over and over and over again...just to prove this point to you...

But what did he do...?

He tried to win..because he is a competitor....

(and some of you people are all over him for that...The most moronic statement that i keep hearing is that Favre "forgot" how to play football and has to be "reigned in".."He's losing his skills".."He's not the same player"..yada..yada..********...yeeesh!) :roll: :roll: :roll: :doh: :stop:

:roll:

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
66...you are right...the lack of talent did affect Brett's play. But....he also chucked some real dogs when he did not have to. He is not completely innocent in this matter. It is a combination of his frustration/desperation heaves, and having limited options to throw to.

Hell, how did the lack of talent around him force him to throw INTs instead of taking a sack. I do not know that having exceptional WRs or hacks at all slots would prevent him from falling down and eating a few yards.

All this said, it was truly an anomoly and I do not expect anything near a repeat.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:

You know...people know it's out there and yet they still insist on lieing. I guess it's just a form of stupidity.

Here it is, just one fine example a short 3-4 weeks ago:

net
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:24 am Post subject: Re: Sick of it - I must vent! Reply with quote
Hey PD--

Read my post on Chmura blasts Favre and go to the link.

He is dead on.

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee. This guy is way out of bounds and for the good of the team he should retire while a small amount of honor is left.

Brett Favre is becoming an albatross around the neck of the Packers, and while I've not been on TT's side much, he has handled this exactly how it should be handled.

To hell with Brett Favre. This 'retirement' crap has wrecked me for a long time on his 'legacy'.

Sorry!

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free-lancing for interceptions is not a positive in anyone's book who knows anything about football.

It's like burning your house down to get rid of the bats.

All I want is for Mr. Favre to play within the game plan and the offense and not try to uphold his 'image'.

Now, DePack, is that better?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net. You've been around a long time. We've never had a problem before. I just think people should be held accountable. Especially since I have a huge manlove for Favre.

If it was frustration over the whole waiting thing, fine. I'm willing to let it go. I was just probably even more frustrated over the blatant lack of respect that Favre was getting from SOME Packer fans.

Since you apologized (not exactly, but I'm tired of dealing with it) I'll move on!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce, you had to go and throw in the facts didn't you?!!! My memory is weak. Granted I do understand all the freelancing, my memory is not that bad, however, MM was just a pup then and a QB coach not Head coach. We may see the difference and I hope we do. Nonetheless, some, obviously not all, of the INT's could have been avoided.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts