1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Florida will require passing a drug test to get welfare money

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by longtimefan, Jun 8, 2011.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,479
    • Like Like x 1
  2. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    AGREE 100% without question.
    Makes perfect sense.
    Look for the ACLU and NAACP to disagree.

3. mcoomer146

mcoomer146 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +57
    I agree also. Why pay for someone else's drug habit. I can't even afford mine, HAHA

4. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    IMO, "paying someone else's drug habit" is a bit stereotypical as I think there are some people, in today's sh*tty economy, that truly need help. I do however fully agree that a drug test is reasonable. If the truly needy people are clean, they should have nothing to worry about. If I were ever in the situation (God forbid), I wouldn't hesitate to be tested in order to receive money/assistance.

5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,479

True..even tho it is stereotyping, it prob is a fact..

I sure as hell wouldnt mind going for a test to get assistance

6. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    I like the plan.
    I am with the majority -- bring on the test. I have no objection to taking the test should I ever need government assistance. If someone does not pass the drug test, however, I would have to say that ANY government assistance is supporting their drug habit because even though they may not take the assistance and directly use it to purchase drugs, it is enabling them to use other sources to do so, and those other resources should have been used for legitimate purposes. JMO.

7. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Some here in Florida are upset at this. And for sure the state will be sued. But state workers can be tested at any time, local gov. workers can be tested just about anytime so why should someone who is getting paid by the state for doing nothing get off with not having to be tested? I know a woman who is a crack head, (well I know her mom and her 5 kids), the kids are all from different fathers, she is on welfare and has a tendency to get stoned and pregnant. Her mom actually has taken custody of her kids and is raising them, she has no contact with them. Because her mom takes money from the state to take care of the kids she will be tested, she has no problem with it. The only people who will be upset are those dumb enough to use drugs while on state aid.

8. mcoomer146

mcoomer146 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +57
    I agree with what you are saying but there are reasons they decided to make people take a drug test for it.

9. GreenBayGal

Ratings:
    +1,123
    And I don't doubt that a bit but...well you know how I stand.
    I also think they should have to get their drugs by deceit & thievery just like the rest of us.

10. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Or move to California and get prescription cannabis. I wonder if they can use food stamps to pay for their pot under the prescription pot program?

11. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    I did have a roommate in college who traded his food stamps for pot. Once he only had two bucks left so he bought some brownies to bake his pot in. Ate the brownies, got stoned, got the munchies, ate some more brownies, got more stoned ... I think you can see where this is going.

12. GreenBayGal

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Oh, and is the roommates name "neilfii"?????

13. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Upon advice of counsel I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might tend to incriminate .... , but, truthfully, No.

14. mcoomer146

mcoomer146 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +57
    The old comedy show "In Living Color" did a skit on how to buy beer with food stamps. I wish I could find the video. It made perfect sense

15. mcoomer146

mcoomer146 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +57
    ah...the good ol days

16. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Were you my college roommate?

17. mcoomer146

mcoomer146 Cheesehead