Flat track bullies or genuine contenders?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heard this comment being thrown about when I was watching the game.

Probably this is due to a misfiring Saints being the only half decent team we've beaten till now....with a crap Lions team despite having 3 wins being next best. Vikings, Texans, Falcons all sport a 1-x record.

49ers and probably the Titans look to be the only threat other than the Bears with Jags and Colts down in the dumpster.

With Bucs signing Antonio Brown....can we complete on equal footing?

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll see if Antonio Brown is still with them in December.

In the meantime, doubt will remain about the Packers' true quality until they beat a good team. With the 49ers and Titans the only agreed good ones ahead, it seems, GB might once again a "weak 13-3" team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't know, but i was watching scores scroll by last weekend and it seemed very game was featuring 1 win teams LOL. there has to be a lot of losing records in the NFL this year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We'll see if Antonio Brown is still with them in December.

In the meantime, doubt will remain about the Packers' true quality until they beat a good team. With the 49ers and Titans the only agreed good ones ahead, it seems, GB might once again a "weak 13-3" team.

The 4-2 Saints don't qualify as a good team?

The "weak 13-3" Packers of 2019 also beat the 10 win Vikings (twice) and the 11 win Seahawks.

I'm not saying this is necessarily where you're coming from, but it seems that for some fans, opponents cease to be a "true quality team" once the Packers beat them.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The "weak 13-3" Packers of 2019 also beat the 10 win Vikings (twice) and the 11 win Seahawks.

I'm not saying this is necessarily where you're coming from, but it seems that for some fans, opponents cease to be a "true quality team" once the Packers beat them.
Key word is "ahead". We aren't playing the Saints again.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He said that doubt will remain until they beat a good team. They beat the Saints.
It's subjective. Saints D isn't really good. They've let in TDs just below the awful Falcons. I don't believe we've won against any good D till now. We've only played Bucs who have good D and lost horribly.

I think the weak team comments is because of the manner of loss. Had it been a close loss, the narrative would be different. Being blown out of water really justifies those comments imo.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's subjective. Saints D isn't really good. They've let in TDs just below the awful Falcons. I don't believe we've won against any good D till now. We've only played Bucs who have good D and lost horribly.

I think the weak team comments is because of the manner of loss. Had it been a close loss, the narrative would be different. Being blown out of water really justifies those comments imo.

Are the Saints a good team or a bad team?

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's not, of course, but there is substance to the observation that the individual and combined records of the teams the Packers beat are not impressive.

My point, apparently poorly stated, is that GB should do very well for the rest of the season while very possibly losing to a couple of good teams. If this happens, many people will say the same thing that many said last year.

In my view, this is understandable and might even be correct even though, as someone once noted, winning is the only thing. I also think, FWIW, that GB is not now at the same level as KC and a couple others.

It's kind of like the Bears over recent weeks: they are not very good but all they do is win. The bloom came off that rose last night, and, while GB is notably better than the Bears, for the Packers to shake the doubters they will have to beat a strong team. I would like to see this before January.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tampa just looks very strong. 9rs look like they are coming back to be really good. And KC. These teams are very good both offensively and defensively. And another thing about these teams is that they have so much confidence that they play with an amazing amount of intensity imho. We do have to match and then maintain intensity against these teams.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's not, of course, but there is substance to the observation that the individual and combined records of the teams the Packers beat are not impressive.

My point, apparently poorly stated, is that GB should do very well for the rest of the season while very possibly losing to a couple of good teams. If this happens, many people will say the same thing that many said last year.

In my view, this is understandable and might even be correct even though, as someone once noted, winning is the only thing. I also think, FWIW, that GB is not now at the same level as KC and a couple others.

It's kind of like the Bears over recent weeks: they are not very good but all they do is win. The bloom came off that rose last night, and, while GB is notably better than the Bears, for the Packers to shake the doubters they will have to beat a strong team. I would like to see this before January.

I don’t know about poorly stated versus poorly understood, but that makes sense.

Last edited:

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel AB will more likely hurt then help the Bucs and we are legit contenders in the way all the other contending teams are I can't say any of the top teams don't have major concerns with them.

The Bucs came of a loss with a mini bye when they played us and played one of their only mistake free game they are one of the 5 most penalized teams in football.

The Seahawks are totally reliant on Wilson they have no defense or OL if Wilson plays poorly they lose.

The Chiefs have lost to the Raiders and should have lost to the Pats because Mahomes hasn't played at the same level as the last 2 years and they don't have a great run defense.

Titans have no pass rush and lost their LT for the season.

Bears have garbage at QB and OL and no run defense.

Packers have flaws but so does every contending teams this year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's the DVOA ranking of each of the Packers' opponents and their point margin against said opponent.
  1. Vikings, 18th, +9
  2. Lions, 15th, +21
  3. Saints, 6th, +7
  4. Falcons, 24th, +14
  5. Buccaneers, 1st, -28
  6. Texans, 20th, +15
If you believe in DVOA as a decent metric, then the Packers have played a great team, a very good team, two mediocre teams, and two bad teams.

Their upcoming schedule breaks down this way:
  1. Vikings, 18th
  2. 49ers, 8th
  3. Jaguars, 28th
  4. Colts, 5th
  5. Bears, 17th
  6. Eagles, 25th
  7. Lions, 15th
  8. Panthers, 16th
  9. Titans, 12th
  10. Bears, 17th

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I feel AB will more likely hurt then help the Bucs and we are legit contenders in the way all the other contending teams are I can't say any of the top teams don't have major concerns with them.

The Bucs came of a loss with a mini bye when they played us and played one of their only mistake free game they are one of the 5 most penalized teams in football.

The Seahawks are totally reliant on Wilson they have no defense or OL if Wilson plays poorly they lose.

The Chiefs have lost to the Raiders and should have lost to the Pats because Mahomes hasn't played at the same level as the last 2 years and they don't have a great run defense.

Titans have no pass rush and lost their LT for the season.

Bears have garbage at QB and OL and no run defense.

Packers have flaws but so does every contending teams this year.

Andrew Brandt tweeted this and seeing it all in one place was pretty revealing:

Benjamin Allbright Retweeted

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

[URL='https://twitter.com/AndrewBrandt']Andrew
Brandt[/URL]
Oct 23
In the last year the Steelers ate a $21 million Cap charge to trade him; the Raiders ate two draft choices to cut him; and the Patriots ate a $9 million signing bonus to cut him. Good luck Buccaneers. #antoniobrown

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that LeFluer is young. His staff may not all be youngsters, be he still steers the ship. His offense is innovative but he has not yet truly learned how to beat the good teams and adjust. It doesn't bother me yet. It's part of the gamble the Packers made with hiring a young coach with virtually no experience at the helm. The key will be how long it takes for him to develop that skillset.

Members online

Latest posts