Five-wide set a whole new animal

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Comeon MM.. your dropping the ball here.. gotta come up with a better name for the 5 wide than that.. :lol:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/256523

Packers notes: Five-wide set a whole new animal

GREEN BAY — In the Animal Planet that is the Green Bay Packers' offense — they have personnel groupings called Zebra, Tiger, Leopard, Hippo and Falcon — the five-wide receiver set they unveiled in Sunday's 34-0 victory is the only one without a zoological name.

"Big Five," coach Mike McCarthy calls it. And with seven games left in the season, it could become Big Time in the Packers' attack.

While the Packers weren't terribly productive using the alignment, it adds another dimension to their attack — one opponents now must prepare for, and one that didn't exist last year because the offensive line couldn't be trusted with five-man protections.

"It's not the end-all and be-all of football, but it's certainly a nice component of our offense," offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "If you play with, say, three wideouts and one back, (defenses) have a library of stuff they can pick from. Whereas if you go five wides, maybe (the defense) has two answers or one answer."

By unofficial count, the Packers lined up with five wideouts six times Sunday.

The first time, it forced the Vikings to take a timeout. The other five times, when they ran plays, the Packers completed three of five passes for 27 yards against the Vikings' dime (six defensive backs) defense.

"The advantage is you're getting good athletes on the field, guys with speed, guys with playmaking ability," Philbin said.

"(But) there are some risks, the biggest being you've got to protect your quarterback. Everybody needs to know who's getting blocked and who isn't. You'd better be ready. But it was a good little wrinkle, that's for sure."

On guard

After watching the film, offensive line coach James Campen said guards Jason Spitz and Daryn Colledge graded out well, and the staff was pleased with how the two second-year linemen responded to having their job security thrown into question last week, mainly because of their poor run-blocking.

"They were the only ones who were publicly challenged, and they played well. They played what we call 'winning football,' " Campen said.

"It was enough to win. They didn't have winning grades last week. It means they did their job — they contributed the way we expect them to contribute."

Coach Mike McCarthy said that the coaches "haven't really talked about how we'll move forward," but the hope had been for the guards to solidify themselves as the starters for the rest of the year.

"Ideally yes, you'd like to have (the same) five (starters)," McCarthy said. "But that's not a position we're in right now."

Health watch

While McCarthy wasn't pleased with quarterback Brett Favre's from-his-knees incompletion two plays after absorbing a blow to the head on a scramble, the coach said he didn't think Favre's judgment had been impaired by Kenechi Udeze's hit.

"I don't think it had anything to do with him getting hit in the head," McCarthy said. "You'd like to think it would. You'd like to give him a mulligan there."

McCarthy noted the medical staff said Favre "checked out fine" and didn't place him on the injury list, meaning he didn't suffer a concussion on the play.

Meanwhile, McCarthy said right tackle Mark Tauscher (ankle) will "probably miss some practice time this week," and defensive end Cullen Jenkins (knee bruise) might as well. Special teams ace Tracy White (ankle) probably won't practice until Friday.

Extra points

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said rookie safety Aaron Rouse "had a couple missed tackles, but certainly was in excellent position most of the day" in his first NFL start. McCarthy called Rouse's effort "solid," despite three missed three tackles. ... Sanders said the linebackers "probably had their best game overall as a unit." ... McCarthy said he'll use the same practice schedule this week — a shells-only practice Wednesday before a normal Thursday and Friday — but will focus solely on Carolina. The Packers play at Detroit on Thanksgiving next week, but McCarthy said only the coaches will work ahead on the Lions, beginning Friday

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the fact we have several different looks in an uptempo style offense. We can go from a five-wide to the wishbone look to a one back spread and run a draw type play. Wow. What a headache for the defense. How does a team prepare for that?

We are certainly going to be challanging the defensive coordinators from here on out.

Minny sure found out what it was like and from their quotes they weren't sure what that was they just saw. Some of those guys sounded like they didn't know up from down by they time that one was over.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Yep, as long as the Oline keeps up the play of this past weekend and force teams to blitz to get pressure.. every DC will have his hands full trying to draw up a game plan.

Imagine the defensive packages that they must prepare to follow along with the sets.. insane.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the fact we have several different looks in an uptempo style offense. We can go from a five-wide to the wishbone look to a one back spread and run a draw type play. Wow. What a headache for the defense. How does a team prepare for that?

We are certainly going to be challanging the defensive coordinators from here on out.

Minny sure found out what it was like and from their quotes they weren't sure what that was they just saw. Some of those guys sounded like they didn't know up from down by they time that one was over.

Agreed. Then throw in the fact that MM had the Queens, (and I'm hoping everyone else from here on out), game planned to a tee, and almost flawless execution. Plus solid "D" and special teams, and the sky could very well be the limit this season and on.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
The big 5 is what I call my *****.

not so big in retrospect.

5 is huge..........., for a midget
I must be the world's tallest midget.

Anyway.........isn't it SWEET that we actually have 5 WR's talented enough to be on the field at the same time? If Favre gets protection, he can just pick a D apart!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts