1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Fish Tanks

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Murgen, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Bought a new fish tank from a friend of mine. $350 for a 3 year old 125g with Cabinet/cover. Nice tank. Going to replace my 55g one with this. Fresh water.

I have a 29 gallon nano that is salt water. I've just recently gotten into salt tanks. I actually bred some Turbo snails in the tank believe it or not. Got hundreds of baby snails in there right now. I have some corals,

Hammer,
    Long Tentacled leather coral
    pulsing Xenia
    whamming watermelon zoas.

Fish
    2 false percula clowns

Anybody else out there a Packer fan fish keeper?

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    I have always wanted to get into salt water fish. where is a good place to read up on how to get started?

3. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,863
    I kept a 90 Reef for about 4 years. I moved and the tank was doing well for 3 days and then crashed. Just killed me.

I had a

bubble tip with a hosting clown
    Trinadad clams
    cleaner shrimp
    many SPS and LPS
    ELectric blue mushrooms
    crabs
    snails
    bunch of big hawaiian tube worms
    brittle stars

lots and lots of other stuff.

The funnest thing is the liverock. this is ancient calcified coral they pull out of the ocean and ship to your door. It is very porous and all sorts of little bugs, seeds, polyps, eggs, everything in there that slowly hatches or grows in the coming months. You never know what is going to crawl out of there.

4. Big Dan

Big Dan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +47
    We have 3 dogs and Herman P. Turtle, the most bad-*** Rio Grande Red Eared Slider that ever lived. Herman lives in a 29 gallon tank with a Plecco and a pair of guppies.

5. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    OH No!! That must have been heartbreaking as well as $$$ lost. I heard about a guy through the local LFS that lost $3,000 in livestock when his heater's thermostat broke and cooked his tank. He didn't have a thermometer to keep an eye on water temps. Tsk Tsk.

I've had the JBJ CF Quad 29g about a year. Doing great, Most of my corals have doubled in size. Hammer is expanding and a new polyp is growing, cool to watch, even if it is in slow motion so to speak. Zoas are spreading all over the rock they are on.

Yeah, the live rock is amazing. Sometimes you get things you wish you hadn't, like aipitasias. Have a bunch in my tank. Keep killing them off, but more seem to spring up. I'm about to just let them grow and forget about it.

Also, I have a BUNCH of sponges on my rock. Blue and Yellow. The Yellow fibrous sponge is going nuts.

I'm going to turn the 125g into a african cichlid tank. Should be gorgeous when I'm done.

6. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +416
    I have a betta fish. :p On a more serious note, I had a fifty five gallon tank that had a bunch of random fish in, my favorite were the clown loaches. Then I moved out of my parents house and the tank was too big to bring. And although my brother took decent care of it, our sucker fish that got huge passed away and they keep forgetting to change the filter linings. I would love to get into the salt water side but it will have to wait till another day.

7. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +111
    I dont keep fish, its sad when animals die :(

8. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    I have 2 dogs and a pool. Does it count?

9. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,863
    I think it was the sponges that killed me. There were some on the bottom of my liverock. When I lifted it out of the tank they died. They released some toxins. The tank did okay for a bit, then one afternoon, everything was dead. I am afraid to add up the cost of what I lost in animal life. Just loosing the creatures was heartbreaking enough.

As far as the apistasias goes, I got some peppermint shrimp (2) and they wiped out all of those buggers in about a week. Even the big ones. I understand that is a hit or miss effort, but you may want to try it. I was overrun with that resilient algea, Caulerpa (IIRC). I was taking out about a pound a month towards the end. There is no known predator.

I had so many cool things. Even after a couple of years if I just stared for 20-30 mins, I would come up with a new creature. Dang, I have to get my tank going again.

10. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Check out the Nano Cubes. About the best bang for the buck as far as getting into salt tanks. The big salt tanks are too expensive for me. I can't afford $4K on a tank (not counting livestock).

I got 5 clown loaches in my 55g. Fun fish. I also like the red-tailed black shark I have. He's gotten to be 4" now.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom Packer Owner/Shareholder

Ratings:
    +105
    I have a 4 year old Pike...vicious S.O.B!

12. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Yeah, I got a BIG yellow sponge growing on the bottom of a live rock, and a bunch of yellow fibrous sponges. If those all died, it would be bad news. I thought dead sponges have to be removed before putting the rocks back. At least I thought I remember reading that.

I can stare at my tank for 20-30 minutes in wonder sometimes especially when you see such huge variety of life in a tiny space.

I had a Royal Gramma since I got the tank. Plopped in a 6-line wrasse and they fought to the death. First the gramma died, and the next day the wrasse died from being stressed out from the battle. $40 bucks down the drain. Won't make that mistake again.

I do have a peppermint shrimp. The Aipitasias do seem to be much fewer in number, but the big daddy one, he's hard to impossible to kill using Aipitasias-X. Seems to work, but then I see big daddy come back. Might just leave him. Kind of cool to have an anenome in the tank, even if it is an ugly one.

13. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Is he the only fish in the tank? I don't see how a pike wouldn't eat everything it could get. How big is you tank?

14. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Sounds like my cousin with his 2 labs and his pool. The dogs get more use out of the pool than he does.

15. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    Yeah, besides the Creek Chubs he/she eats and the crayfish that eats his poop (? lol)

Best I can gather its a 150 gallon. My buddy made it when I was in high school. Feel free to do the volume equation for me :) 56 long x 32 deep x 34 tall...
    The fish is only about 12 inches long and hides in the weeds all day til its time to eat...then just slams the **** out of whatever he wants. The crayfish were originally food but he never ate that 1...Now they're friends :) Just to clarify, its a Grass Pike, not a Northern. Esox americanus vermiculatus

16. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    I have a couple of fish stories.

First one was when I was younger. It was a fresh water fish tank, my Dad had it and taught me how to check the PH balance and add the chemicals (a chemistry lesson, YaY!), and feed them. My prized little fishie was the algae eater (sucker fish as my Dad called him), who I named Bowzer, King of the Fishes. Every day when I got home from school, the first thing I would do was check the PH, clean up the tank and feed them. One day I came home and noticed Bowser was not stuck to the side where he was supposed to be so I found my Mom and told her something was wrong with Bowser, he's floating at the top of the tank instead of the stuck to the sides. My Mom got a funny look on her face but told me she'd fix it. So the next thing I know, I walk into the bathroom just in time to see my Momma flushing my Bowser down the toilet. Then I knew he was dead and I was crushed. I was so distraught I wouldn't let anybody in my family eat any fish until the Night of the Seven Fishes (Christmas time and no way around that), as it was King Bowser's Wake. One very mean Uncle had the bad sense to try and be funny and say Bowser was swimmin witda fishes. I didn't find it funny!

The second occurred when I was older and in high school. Fresh water tank #2, guess my parents figured they'd given me enough years to get over King Bowser, and decided to try again. We went away for the weekend and came home to find a bunch of dead fish. Something happened to the filter, it shut off, and the PH balance went crazy. They were all belly up at the top of the tank, save for 3 of them who leaped out of the bowl and were dead on the floor. My parents haven't had any more fish tanks since. We we are cursed.

17. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Oh, it's 125g with those measurements.

18. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    I know the feeling. Try having an entire tank of fish die due to a mystery disease. I was so depressed and disgusted, I left the tank empty for a year.

19. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Got my 125g home Sunday (why I missed the wash game, no big loss though, ugh). It's a 4 year old tank my friend was keeping as a African cichlid tank. His 13 Frontosa outgrew it so he upgraded to a gorgeous 210g. That tank is a thing of beauty!

Anyway, his old tank, now mine was finished in natural oak. Not my favorite color. Kind of looks old fashioned looking. I like black tanks. simple and easy to touch up. So tonight I got out the Expoxy Black Enamel spray paint and went to work. Now it's a black tank all but for the top trim. Gonna spray that out tomorrow after taping off the glass from over spray. I'm going to do a Malawi Cichlid tank. Should be gorgeous when I'm done. Assuming I don't run out of money for it.

Wife wants me to get rid of my 55g but I really hate to get rid of it. She doesn't think 4 fish tanks in the house is a good thing. I'm like, 4 is just getting started! LOL

20. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,863
    4.67ft x 2.67ft x 2.83ft x 7.48 gal/ft^3 = 264 gallons.

21. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    DANG!!! I know its big, but it doesn't appear to be THAT big, geez, lol...I guess that's why I had a big dip in the floor at my old place, lol

22. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,863
    263 gals x 8.3 lb/gal = 2,183 lbs Over a ton! Yes, that will bend even the sturdiest of floors.

23. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    WOWZA!!!!! Thank god it was near the floor beam, lol...Its on the basement foundation now....

He was a glazer (glass installer) at his uncles place and he would always make us random glass ****, tanks, tables, weird little window things....It was originally for a few Oscars, but that was about 10 years ago...The tank alone weighs probably 300-400+ and takes half a day to fill with the garden hose and the basement sink running to it...

24. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    Bet the tank itself weights more than you think. My friends new 210g weighs like 500lbs. Just the glass. At least that is what the guys delivering it told him.

Dunno how I screwed up that calc. Yeah, 264g with those measurements. Do you know if he used tempered glass for the bottom piece?

No basements in Texas, so all big tanks usually set on the first floor. Only the little ones go upstairs.

264 tank, My est. your probably are close to 3,000lbs if you have sand and rock work in it. Stands are pretty light compared to the tank. Depending on the rock it could go even higher. No way that should go on an upstairs floor, keep it on concrete.

25. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +105
    It has river rock on the bottom and you're right, its probably more than 400. Took 4 dudes to move it.
    Im not sure what he used. He was the kind of dude that would make something just to keep busy. He had made 3 others for mutual friends, all of different sizes.
    I would assume he knew what he was doing, so he would've used what was necessary for a quality piece. Im satisfied...and better yet, it hasnt unleashed 200+ gallons and fish and rocks all over the place.

My girlfriend is the fish -handler?- of the house. She used to work at various pet stores years ago, so I let her handle most of the details :)