First trade of the draft?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Nothing on the WDAE website, but I hope the Raiders spoil Gruden's fun if this is true... take Johnson :)

Our friends at WDAE in Tampa have tipped us off to a rumor that we're in the process of confirming that the Lions have traded the No. 2 overall pick in the 2007 draft to the Buccaneers for the No. 4 overall pick and defensive end Simeon Rice.

A league source tells us that, while there is not a done deal, the talks are occurring regarding a flip-flop of No. 2 and No. 4. It's not presently clear whether Rice is part of the deal.

The Bucs presumably want to get in position to take receiver Calvin Johnson with the No. 2 selection, if the Raiders don't take Johnson with the No. 1.

The real intrigue on this one arises if the Raiders take Johnson. Would the Bucs then pick quarterback JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn? Or would they take left tackle Joe Thomas?

Recently, the Bucs conducted on-campus workouts with Johnson, Russell, and Quinn. They didn't include Thomas in the tour, and we've seen some evidence in the Tampa press of possible efforts by the team to bad-mouth Thomas, possibly in the hopes that he'll be available at No. 4.

It could be that the Lions are willing to make the deal to go down to No. 4 because they think they could still get Thomas at that spot. But if Johnson is the No. 1 pick, Thomas might be long gone by the time the Lions use the pick currently held by Tampa.

We're keeping a close eye on this one. Check back for more details.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another reason why GMs make the big bucks. I can only imagine how much these guys sweat out every move they make. A boomerang could hit hard and hurt big. Obviously the Bucs must give up something more than their pick to move up, and if Rice is that price the Bucs D will take a hit. Frankly, I expect the Raiders to take Johnson in any event so the move up by the Bucs is futile and costly. However, Oakland must get a QB who can throw to Johnson. Hence, they want Rodgers. If TT makes Aaron part of a Moss deal, he should be lynched, IMO.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...especially since the Raiders will probably be forced to cut Moss because they don't have the cap space to pay him $9.5mil this year. Whoever the sign at #1 will also cost them plenty money. I'm glad we're not in the same boat.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's almost certain that the Lions want Gaines Adams if they trade down, so I don't know why they would want Rice as part of the deal. It seems to me that the Lions would be much more interested in getting additional picks.

Members online

Latest posts