First Time Tailgating - Any tips?

digerati_ca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're making the 10 hour drive down from Canada to see the Packs vs. Saints this Sunday.

We're staying close to Lambeau, but are lost when it comes to tailgating. I don't think we'll actually use our SUV to tailgate. Is it acceptable to just wander around? Or should we get actual tailgate tickets from Fuzzy's or one of the other bars? We're certainly happy to pay for food from other tailgaters. Should we bring our own beer to tailgate?

Any other advice?

And yes, I'm sorry to admit that one guy in our party is a Saints fan. Take it easy on him, he knows not who he cheers for.

Thanks in advance.

tonytokes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1 - Dont buy other people's food! It's your first tailgate, you have to do it the right way. You'll have so much fun :) (Plus, you'll look like Canadians if you do hehe)

#2 - Buy a $25 mini weber grill, some matchlite charcoal, brats (i prefer chedderbrats but im from monroe wi, the cheese capital), buns, ketchup and mustard.

#3 - Bring a bunch of beer and a cooler. You can always get a cooler / ice / beer when you get down to Green Bay if space in the truck is a problem.

#4 - Stereo for pregame doesnt hurt. Football to toss around when you start getting drunk can also be placed in the "doesnt hurt" category.

#5 - Get your friends or office to let you use some collapsable chairs for everyone.

Tailgating doesn't mean you're actually sitting on the tailgate or using the truck for any practical purpose aside from storage. It's just what the parking lot party is called.

Pretend you're having a BBQ at your house, just dont worry so much about chips, dips and potato salad although the latter sounds pretty good right now.

Get out your grill, light it up, cook some brats (you CANT mess em up, dont worry), drink a lot of beer and get a bit rowdy. You'll fit right in.

Just have fun and do it up!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
[align=center]BEER!![/align]

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me it was also fun to mingle in the parking lots around Lambeau (The one by K Mart is nice) and chat with the people around there.
Tailgating starts pretty early on game day!
Take a camera with you to capture the memories!
HAVE FUN!!!!
Cheesey

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been in those pre arranged tailgate parties, and even when I love Fuzzy´s service commitment and honest way to deal and I buy and will buy mi TKTS from his company, those parties are not that good seem to be to perfectly made for tourists, well like you and me.... BUT since you are driving there it would be much nicer to do it the right way !!! On the parking lot wwith lots of beer !!!! Some extra tequila helps specially on cold days,,, I dont think this one will be cold at all.

Enjoy yourself... and if we get shut up again.... well enjoy anyway !!!

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the kmart parking lot is the BEST place for tailgating.

my advice? get there EARLY, take your SUV, tailgate out the back of it & have fun!
i don't know what the forecast in GB is but in illinois it's supposed to rain sunday. you may want to be prepared with one of those enclosed screen tent thingys. also, take along your rain ponchos. pack more stuff than you think you'll need & be prepared (in the beer department, i mean) LOL! the kmart has alot of packer gear available as well.

i am SO jealous & hoping to make it to at least one game this season!! :)

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of the advice above is right on the button.....

All I will add is two suggestions.

1. BRING CANADIAN BEERWITH YOU! I am serious as a heart attack.
American beer is like drinking **** compared to good old Molson
Canadian that is brewed for Canadians.

2. Remember liquor before beer.... Never fear.
Beer before liquor.... Never sicker.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
American beer-like making love in a canoe.....F'ing close to water.
#1 rule: Pace yourself my man so you will remember the experience.

cheesyscot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the Bear game we parked behind Bretts steak house.. Got there about 9 am and set up shop. We had what evryone else is talking about, Beer beer and more beer. Some mixers for those who don't like beer, brauts and burgers with chips and wings. I know we had a football and a beanbag game also going on. There will be plenty to do beside sit at your truck, suv or car. Walk around and meet people have a drink and laugh because if it's anything like last week you'll ahve more fun outside than inside. Just KIDDING. Besure to walk around you never know who you'll run into. We talked to Lynn ****ey, meet Paul Horning and did I mention had a drink?Have fun I promise you'll always remember it..

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer the Kmart parking lot myself.
Get out and walk around and enjoy the whole tailgating experience.
You meet alot of great fans many of whom will offer you food and drink.
Enjoy the music and pick up some Packer paraphenalia that people are selling.
As someone said, "pace yourself", if you get too F****D up it will ruin an experience that everyone should enjoy at least once in their lives.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't use matchlite, your food will taste like lighter fluid.

tailgate out of your suv, i'd use a small propane grill like you use for camping.

here is a simple recipe

Beer brats

Buy a box of johnsonvilles, buns,some aluminum bread loaf pans, jar of saurkraut, and beer.

put brats in loaf pan and cover/beer. boil 20 minutes. put brats on grill & brown on all sides.(be careful not to poke hole in brats and lose juices).

while the brats are browning, add saurkraut to beer in breadpans(the same beer you boiled the brats in). after brats are browned, put them in w/saurkraut aand boil 10-15 minutes longer.

Remember, DO NOT PUNCTURE THE BRATS!

i usually like potatoes w/brats. just wrap diced potatoes in foil/butter and seasonings and grill 15-20 minutes a side. i'd also grill some cobs of WI sweet corn w/this meal.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

aakkkk ther are some great american brews. Sam Adams and New Glarus to name a few

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My Lambeau tailgating experience was a great one.

We were kinda strapped on cash by the time the actual game came around, so we had to go ghetto with the "grill." What we did was get two of those big aluminum type dishes that you baste turkeys in. We cut slits in the top on to act as a grill... hell, we even made a little compartment to heat up our onions and other sides. Anyways, we flipped the top one over and used some clips to keep it together. Filled it with some nice mesquite wood.... It was beautiful, cheap, and made a great experience.

We soaked some brats in beer the night before... and when it was time to start the tailgating, we moved all our stuff to the lot.

For chairs we used some hot pink foldable chairs we bought at Wal-Mart for about $3.00.

It was a sight to see.... and those brats were some of the best I've ever had.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

I would generally agree RP, but grab some Leinie's or Old Style once in Green Bay. It's great (and a hell of a lot cheaper).

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Raider Pride said:

I would generally agree RP, but grab some Leinie's or Old Style once in Green Bay. It's great (and a hell of a lot cheaper).

Gimme good old "Blatz Light!!!"

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOP....you remember the "Old Style!! Excellent stuff.

You know cheesey.....ice cold Blatz in a bottle is a pretty nice beer.....although some get the "Blatz Splatz" from it......I am not one of those unfortunate few.

I love the Molson originals with the multi-colored name and the catchy pick-up lines on the labels....all for the low, low price of $5.79 per sixer.

tonytokes

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Geez....it must bankrupt a person before they can develop problems with alcohol.

i thought the same thing but i think they're talking canadian dollars which still isnt cheap but closer to $17-18...

americans get f'd in that exchange

OP
OP
D

digerati_ca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was there every any doubt that we would be bringing our own beer? Not that it will be Canadian, we'll stick to Heineken, Stella or Faxe. Maybe in a pinch some Kokanee Gold.

Although, I did have some Leinenkugel's two weeks ago, and it wasn't bad, not that I'll miss it, we can't get it North of the border.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Plenty of people will trade their beers for Canadian and start a conversation(Your's is worth more so trade it for Guiness or Beck's dark or something with flavor not a BMC). Be careful at the border on how much you declare and how much you hide.

Buy food local along with those local brats.
What is the name of those local Green Bay brats?
I can't remember.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
What is the name of those local Green Bay brats?
I can't remember.

They used to sell :bow: Klements brats(remember the dancing brat), but now serve Johnsonville :puke:

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts