First time in greenbay and need some advise

fleeflicker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hello all,

I will have a dream come true when I attend my first packer game. I will be flying in and wonder if it would be better to fly into green bay or fly into appleton? It is like a 150.00 per person difference in airfare if I fly in to appleton. Thanks

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi Fleeflicker.

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier in this Green Bay life area of pf.com . It is hobby of mine to give Packer fans information, when they are coming to Green Bay (especially for the first time), I have been doing this since Jan '05.

The airport in Appleton is 28 miles from Green Bay. Before I give you advice, which is the better airport to fly into -Appleton or Green Bay Here are a few questions , I would like you to answer before I can give you accuarate answer to your question , which airport to fly into- Appleton or Green BAy.

Are you coming to Green Bay for the Packer/Lion game on December 28th? Are you going to rent a car for t o drive from airport in Appleton (if you fly into Appleton) to get to Green Bay? Or what type of transportation are you going to use ,if not a car rental? Where is the hotel you have your room reservation located, --In Green Bay or Appleton. ?

I can also give you information about .Parking around LF. if you need it. (LF lot parking is reserved for Packer season ticket holders). , Hotel room information , Sports Bars, Tailgating around LF ,What kind of cold weather clothing to wear for cold weather games at LF, if you are going to cold weather game., and points of interest around GB.etc. Just ask me what information you would like to know in your post..
I will be able to answer just about any question you may have, if I don't know the answer, i will get it for you..

Look forward to giving you Information ,you will need to have successful visit to GB .

Regards PWT36 (Phil)
Green Bay born and raised long time Packer fan, now living in DePere, Wi. which is located 5 miles from Lambeau Field.

OP
OP
F

fleeflicker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: First time in green bay and need some advise

Thanks for responding, I will be staying at Holiday Inn in Green Bay, if we fly into Appleton then we would rent a car and drive from Appleton to green bay. To be honest we have no idea what we are doing or where we need to go or stay. If you could give us some information it would be greatly appreciated.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi Fleeflicker.
Am I right that you are coming to GB for the Lion Packer home game weekend? It sounds like that by th e tone of your 2 posts ,but you haven't really posted that in either one of your messages. I also like the know the time frame of your visit That is important, if you want to Tour Lambeau Field and the Packer Hall of Fame. Neither of these attractions are held on Packer game day Sunday If you only have Sat. at Atrium at Lambeau field. You would be wise to go when LF Atrium opens on Saturday, to give you time to make the Tours of Lambeau Field and Packer Hall of Fame and Shop plus Packer Pro Shops. Plus you might want to eat at Curly's Sports Bar and Restaurant , while you are at Atrium at LF on Saturday.

I believe you might need reservations for the Lambeau Field Tour. I'll give instructions about that in seperate post. There are separate admissions charged for the Tour of LF $10 and tour of Packer Hall of Fame $9.

You can not park in the Packer parking lot at LF. All Spaces are reserved in Advance by Packer season Ticket Holder every year. You have choice to use private parking ,which cost $20 with in a few blocks of Lambeau Field or $10-$15 the farther away from LG that you park.. If you get to LF area about 8am or there abouts, you can park on side street free of charge. There is no parking allowed on main streets surrounding LF. I will give you locations of these side streets arounbd Lf , where parking is free in another posts..

Any information you give me about your trip will be helpful to me, in order to give you information, you will need while you are here in GB. )

Look for another post from me , when I get time to do so. Hope to hear from you soon.

regards, Phil

OP
OP
F

fleeflicker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: First time in green bay and need some advise

To be honest we won't be coming up until next season. I just wanted to go ahead and try to get some information for planning stages. We will be coming up on friday and leaving on monday. We are wanting to try and catch some snow and would like to know in a best guess when does the snow start? Also what is a good hotel to stay at and is it better to fly into appleton or green bay. Thanks so much for your help

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi Fleeflicker'

Look under this topic for a message from "Iron head" (David ),who is a Packer fan from Springfield , Missouri. I asked him to post a message to you and give you all the information you will need for your visit to GB next year.

He had actually done it. David has been here twice--last year for Packer /Lion home game here in GB on !2/30/07. On 11 /30/2008 for the Panther/Packer home game here in GB. And will be back to GB on 12/28/08 for the Packer/Lion game here in GB.

So he has the experience of flying here into GB - three times . He has bought Packer tickets from a ticket broker, made GB Hotel room reservations , Also David has gone to all the Sports Bars, and eaten at different GB Restaurants. Toured Lf and also has toured the Packer Hall of Fame. David can give you much information , , and maybe help you save some money on your first time trip to Green Bay.

So look for his post under your topic on this Green Bay Life discussion area on pf.com.

regards, Phil.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi Fleeflicker. Depending on when you book your flight, you can probably fly into Green Bay for about the same price of flying into Appleton. Airline ticket prices fluxuate quite a bit.

For instance, Last May, an October 18th -21st round trip ticket from Springfield, Mo to Green Bay, was close to $800. Then just a few months later it went down to $350, which is when I booked it. A few weeks prior to my departure, it went down below $200, then back up again the day before the flight.

So its pretty crazy. Just keep checking orbitz.com frequently, and book when the price is right.

As far as Hotels, I have stayed at 3 different ones so far. The Road Starr Inn, right across the street from Lambeau. It is convenient due to its close proximity to Lambeau, however its not exactly the nicest hotel either. I stayed there for the last game of the year in 07, and barely had enough hot water to take a 2 minute shower. There is a 2 night minimum at all the hotels in Green Bay when the Packers are in town. And the price is more for those 2 days. At Road Starr its $139 a night for 2 nights, and $90 a night after that.

I have also stayed at the Howard Johnson which is about 2 miles from Lambeau(about a 40 min walk) The rooms are really nice and spacious, and they have a pretty good continental breakfast. However they are a little pricey. It was 139 a night for all 3 nights I was there.

Last time I went to Green Bay I stayed at the Bay Motel and Restaurant about a mile north of Lambeau. The rooms are smaller, but the service is really good and the restaurant has excellent food. The rooms are clean and I had plenty of hot water. It is $100 a night for the first 2 nights, and just $39 a night after that. It takes about 20 minutes to walk to Lambeau from there.

For purchasing tickets, I recommend titletowntickets.com. They usually have the cheapest tickets.

OP
OP
F

fleeflicker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help. It was a big difference into appleton vs green bay. We have booked the new holiday in..

OP
OP
F

fleeflicker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys have been very helpful, one last question. Could you tell me when it normally starts snowing? Oct, Nov, Dec. Thanks

Lord Football

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IronMan said:
As far as Hotels, I have stayed at 3 different ones so far. The Road Starr Inn, right across the street from Lambeau. It is convenient due to its close proximity to Lambeau, however its not exactly the nicest hotel either. I stayed there for the last game of the year in 07, and barely had enough hot water to take a 2 minute shower. There is a 2 night minimum at all the hotels in Green Bay when the Packers are in town. And the price is more for those 2 days. At Road Starr its $139 a night for 2 nights, and $90 a night after that.

Last time I went to Green Bay I stayed at the Bay Motel and Restaurant about a mile north of Lambeau. The rooms are smaller, but the service is really good and the restaurant has excellent food. The rooms are clean and I had plenty of hot water. It is $100 a night for the first 2 nights, and just $39 a night after that. It takes about 20 minutes to walk to Lambeau from there.

I agree about the Bay Motel and Road Star.

The Road Star is a ghetto, trashy dump and I had the same problem with the cold shower. When I complained to the manager about it you could tell he hears that complaint often. He instantly snapped back and said "we have the state regulated and approved hot water system based on our occupancy. You should have got up earlier". No joke, don't stay there.

The Bay however is a great place to stay. It's not fancy but is well maintained. The price is right and within walking distance of Lambeau Field. Don't forget to stop in at the restaurant. Great food with good prices. My one complaint about GB is there lack of good restaurants. The Bay restaurant is one of the very few good ones.

You could also try the Comfort Suites. Real nice hotel with a great pool area. They serve a free, big continental breakfast but their main restaurant is a puke fest. Don't go there.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your comments on the Road Star. It used to be a very nice place, but it has become very trashy.

In the summer of 2007, we stayed there during training camp and were quoted a price for Thursday which was $40; then Fri and Sat were more expensive. We expected that. When we went to pay our bill, we were charged $80 for all three nights.

I got on line and found out to whom I should write about the discrepancy. I even sent a copy of the previous years bill to him. He never answered; so I sent another letter to him. Still never received an answer.

We don't usually stay at a motel in Green Bay when we are there for the games as we have friends who live in DePere. But, we do stay at motels when we come for training camp. If you have a car, the Settle Inn by the airport is a good place to stay, and the prices are reasonable. And according to my husband who loves to eat, they have the best breakfast, and that is included in the price.

Members online

Latest posts