First round, Packers-only mock draft

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is Packer Report's 1st round NFL mock draft and a Packers-only mock draft.

Packer Report.com

First round, Packers-only mock draft

By Bob Fox
[email protected]
Posted Apr 25, 2008

Packer Report's Bob Fox offers his prediction of which players Green Bay will select this weekend

The 2008 NFL draft is only a day away. Some people treat this day like it's the second coming of Christmas. Every NFL team will try to get some needy presents under their tree to catapult themselves to legitimate playoff status, with the ultimate prize being the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

In terms of the Green Bay Packers, I think the Packers will try and swing a trade with the Miami Dolphins for DE Jason Taylor. The Dolphins will try and trade Taylor out of the AFC. Miami is asking for a first round pick, but that won't happen. Perhaps one of the Packers late second round picks will get the deal done. Ron Wolf could possibly help as he is very good friends with Bill Parcells and was the mentor for Ted Thompson. We shall see.

I will forecast the first round of the entire NFL draft, and then do an updated Packers-only mock draft.

NFL 1st round mock draft
1. Miami Dolphins- Jake Long, OT, Michigan
2. St. Louis Rams- Chris Long, DE, Virginia
3. Atlanta Falcons- Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
4. Oakland Raiders- Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas
5. Kansas City Chiefs- Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio State
6. New York Jets- Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
7. New England Patriots- Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy State
8. Baltimore Ravens- Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
9. Cincinnati Bengals- Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
10. New Orleans Saints- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State
11. Buffalo Bills- Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
12. Denver Broncos- Keith Rivers, LB, USC
13. Carolina Panthers- Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt
14. Chicago Bears- Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
15. Detroit Lions- Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida
16. Arizona Cardinals- Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon
17. Kansas City Chiefs- Brandon Albert, G, Virginia
18. Houston Texans- Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
19. Philadelphia Eagles- Limas Sweed, WR, Texas
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Mike Jenkins, CB, USF
21. Washington Redskins- DeSean Jackson, WR, Cal
22. Dallas Cowboys- Felix Jones, RB, Arkansas
23. Pittsburgh Steelers- Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
24. Tennessee Titans- Kentwan Balmer, DT, NC
25. Seattle Seahawks- Dustin Keller, TE, Purdue
26. Jacksonville Jaguars- Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
27. San Diego Chargers- Kenny Phillips, S, Miami of FL
28. Dallas Cowboys- Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas
29. San Francisco 49ers- Jerrod Mayo, LB, Tennessee
30. Green Bay Packers- Sam Baker, OT/OG, USC
31. New England Patriots - Forfeited Pick
32. New York Giants- Tyrell Johnson, S, Arkansas State

Packers-only mock draft
1. Sam Baker (USC) OT/OG
Baker (6-5, 305) is one of three possibilities from USC, along with G Chilo Rachal and G/T Drew Radovich, where the Trojans run the zone-blocking scheme. Baker was a three-time All-American that gave up one sack in 49 starts. Baker also has the versatility to play guard. He is very smart and he has helped the Trojans run the ball very effectively over his four-year starting career. Ted Thompson was at the USC pro day in late March.

2a. Tracy Porter (Indiana) CB
Porter is a natural ball hawk, as he had 16 career interceptions at Indiana. Porter also has decent size (5-11, 185), but is exceptionally quick and has pure speed. Would be able to adapt in the press coverage scheme utilized by the Packers, and he has good return ability.

2b. Martellus Bennett (Texas A&M) TE
Bennett (6-7, 253) has excellent size, runs good routes and uses his size as an advantage, and improved every year he was at A&M. Bennett also has the skills and size to be an effective blocker as well. He is not a deep threat, but he has exceptional ability in the middle of the field and would be an excellent red zone weapon.

3. John David Booty (USC) QB
Booty has the ability to be a effective QB in the West Coast system. Booty (6-2, 213) has a strong arm. He is very accurate on short and intermediate routes, but will need some help on his overall technique. Head coach Mike McCarthy and QB coach Tom Clements will take care of that.

4a. Steve Slaton (West Virginia) RB
Slaton (5-10, 185) should be very adaptable to the zone-blocking scheme. Slaton is a slasher that gets through the hole quickly and is very agile. Slaton scored 50 TDs in 3 years at West Virginia, so he has a nose for the end zone. Slaton is also a good receiver.

4b. Dominique Barber (Minnesota) S
Barber (6-0, 211) is the brother of Dallas RB Marion Barber. Dominique Barber is a tackling machine, and also has improved in terms of his ball skills. He has decent speed and can lay the leather. Also can blitz well and would do well on special teams.

5. J Leman (Illinois) LB
Leman (6-2-plus, 237) had 41 starts at Illinois and was very productive. He is a great competitor who will excel on special teams. He is smart, always around the ball and versatile. He can play inside or outside linebacker.

7. Nick Hayden (Wisconsin) DT
Hayden (6-4, 295) needs to be more consistent but he never gives up on a play and has a great motor. He also had an excellent week at the East-West Shrine game that certainly opened some eyes. The trade of Corey Williams and injury concerns at DT create an opening at the position.

Reaction score
Baker would seem like a good value pick, I just read today that apparently Baker was considered by some to be the 2nd best OT in last years draft if he had come out.

Tracy Porter I could live with, but only if Cason/Lee/Molden are gone. I just think those above players are more suited physically to play man-to-man.

Bennett seems like he'd be a great pick-up, a player that is still learning and improved each year in college doesn't seem like a bad thing.

I hope we get Booty, I'm sure someone would then be able to come up with a creatively funny nickname for our QB duo of Aaron Rodgers and John David Booty. :D

I don't think Ted will take a RB in this draft, but Slaton does seem to fit the ZBS. On the small side though, injuries might be a concern with him. I'd love to get a DE in this draft, and I think one in the fourth round instead of Slaton might be possible...

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy cow that TE is 6'7? If he has a good vertical and can catch, damn that'd be a weapon for Rodgers. Slaton was awesome at WV and could fit through holes nicely granted the Packers line opens them up. I heard a bit about Leman and he sounds solid but I don't know about Booty's overall potential as an NFL QB. I wouldn't be upset if this went down but it wouldn't make my day either.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I need to read up on that bennett kid. 6'7 is freakin massive. Red Zone threat doesnt even begin to describe it.

thatsounds like a winner to me.

Packers_Finland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baker would be an OK pick, but I have him going in the 2nd Round though

Tracy would be a good pick, but if Lee is avaivable, I'd have him

Bennett seems like a frickin' beast. He could still very well be avaivable at that point

Booty is what... or who I've had in mind since I realized we need to draft a QB.

Slaton will be taken before that, but if he falls, he would be a steal

Never even heard about Barber, maybe a bit too early pick for him, if Silva's avaivable, I'd have him

Leman may not be the BPA in the fifth round, but we don't have a 6th either, so it's an OK pick

Hayden would be a good addition to the DT circulation.

So in conclusion, this is a very OK draft.

OP
OP
A

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the selction of Sam Baker could really happen. I think TT could trade back to Atlanta for instance at #34, especially if the Falcons still need a QB, if they picked Dorsey in the 1st. They will want to jump over Miami for that QB. Then TT could jump on Baker at #34, plus have #56 and #60 in the 2nd rounds and #68 (Atlanta) and #91 in the 3rd. That would mean maybe something to get Jason Taylor as well. This is what Pete Dougherty said in his story today about trading back perhaps...

Thompson also was seen watching left tackle Sam Baker closely at USC's Pro Day workout earlier this month and is known to like the four-year starter. But Baker also appears to be more of a true second-round prospect who could play anywhere on the offensive line.

Things could get pretty interesting today.

Members online

Latest posts