First round of cuts

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have released S Charles Clay, CB Dennard, WR Chris Harper, LB Jones, FB Liaina, QB Chase Rettig, WR Gerrard Sheppard

Thoughts? Surprises?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No surprises IMO. Harper may be the closest to a surprise but he was so inconsistent.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think Harper was going to make it anyways but Gillett's big catch against Raiders probably ended Harper's camp a little earlier then expected.

H

HardRightEdge

No. I have White at #5 WR. When you get to #6, if there is one, nothing will surprise me because all have shown some meaningful shortcomings.

I would take Liaina's departure to mean we'll be keeping 4 TEs, including Taylor primarily for special teams.

Taylor's the best blocker out of the H-back spot, but that's not saying much. I'd like to see one of these guys hit the line with some authority some time; Quarless and Rodgers kinda dance up to it. If Kuhn got hurt somebody on the roster needs to play up-back on occasion...again that would seem to be Taylor as a block/catch option that Kuhn provides.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised at Sheppard this early, thought he had good hands and decent route-running... but 0% chance of making the 53 or probably even the PS, so not too shocked.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm a little surprised at Sheppard this early, thought he had good hands and decent route-running... but 0% chance of making the 53 or probably even the PS, so not too shocked.
Shepard dropped an uncontested Flynn throw against the Rams that looked like a TD in the making. He was on the sidelines inside the 5 with a DB closing. It was a very bad look for him in a live-game situation.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

No surprises yet . Waiting to see is the Packers pick up a Nose Tackle . Talented Big Men are hard to come by .

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 14 OL's currently on the roster. Three only got 4 snaps (Vujnovish & Fullington) and 7 snaps (Gerhart) on Friday night. Would think that Tretter would see at least a quarter of playing time in game 4, and Linsley would see at least a half. My guess is a tackle (Vujnovich) and Gerhart are in the 2nd round of cuts before Tues. 3PM.

Here's the snap count from the Oakland game: http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...ckers-offensive-snaps-3?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Game 3 being the most meaningful for starters and back-ups, the guys who barely got in aren't in TT's plans, IMHO.

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 14 OL's currently on the roster. Three only got 4 snaps (Vujnovish & Fullington) and 7 snaps (Gerhart) on Friday night. Would think that Tretter would see at least a quarter of playing time in game 4, and Linsley would see at least a half. My guess is a tackle (Vujnovich) and Gerhart are in the 2nd round of cuts before Tues. 3PM.

Here's the snap count from the Oakland game: http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...ckers-offensive-snaps-3?ex_cid=espnapi_public

I can't disagree. I guessing they are trying to hold one to as many as possible to be able to sneak 2 on the PS since the Barclay injury. Vuj and Ful have good height but lite ( 1st yr ). Garth was PS last yr so they know what they have or don't.

Time will tell and the clock is ticking.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I am really curious to see how many linebackers they keep. I think Capers wants to be able to rotate linebackers in and keep guys fresh with his new "attacking scheme".

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well as posted by AcmePack, cutting Rettig could mean keeping 3 QBs which takes a spot I had saved for a LB.

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well ILB hasn't looked weak thus far this year. Seahawks game will be a big test.

That and BJ was having a pretty good preseason at nose which helped the ILB ( not counting the AJ whiff on the TD run the other nite ). Hopefully he is replaceable with who we have or....

Here's a stupid question too, if you cut BJ with an injury settlement team is on the hook for only the $500k that was guaranteed? Not like they are committed to next year anyway?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That and BJ was having a pretty good preseason at nose which helped the ILB ( not counting the AJ whiff on the TD run the other nite ). Hopefully he is replaceable with who we have or....

Here's a stupid question too, if you cut BJ with an injury settlement team is on the hook for only the $500k that was guaranteed? Not like they are committed to next year anyway?

I think it really depends at this point how serious the tear is and how they feel about other guys.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I know a lot like Thomas but isn't he just a lighter Hawk? At 227 I'm not sure he matches up well against #1s when the games count.

Well his size and that fact that he played at a smaller college level is why he was a UDFA. He is a very talented and has a nose for the football. If you remember he was the first UDFA signed by the team. I already know he could contribute on special teams.

At this point I don't know if he is to small to fit into Capers scheme somewhere as our outside linebackers are so long and athletic. I wish he wouldn't of gotten hurt.

D

Deleted member 6794

Raji won't accept an injury settlement without any additional money in it.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well his size and that fact that he played at a smaller college level is why he was a UDFA. He is a very talented and has a nose for the football. If you remember he was the first UDFA signed by the team. I already know he could contribute on special teams.

At this point I don't know if he is to small to fit into Capers scheme somewhere as our outside linebackers are so long and athletic. I wish he wouldn't of gotten hurt.

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it really depends at this point how serious the tear is and how they feel about other guys.

Raji won't accept an injury settlement without any additional money in it.

I realize the obvious but does the settlement count on the cap? Anything is a savings compared to placing on IR and paying his entire salary. Being on a one year deal the team holds no rights either way.

As mentioned in some other postings, those on IR feel disconnected from team while rehabbing and his injury is season-ending so not sure why you wouldn't want to cut and pay to get off the books. Will hurt his feelings but he's a big boy and turned down big bucks for a prove it contract in the end. Guess he has more to prove now once healthy.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, Tretter with a significant knee injury that'll keep him out "multiple weeks"... My 1:31PM prediction of Gerhart getting cut is WAY off, and now he may even sneak onto the 53 for the first 4-6 weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts