First Round Draft Pick

dchen46

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about who the Packers will draft with their first pick assuming they don't trade back at all. I think there could be 5 options available that would make sense (though a couple of them might have to drop):
C.J. Mosley - ILB
Eric Ebron - TE
Rashede Hageman- DE
Calvin Pryor - FS
Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix - FS

Assuming all 5 of these guys are available at 21 (which they won't), who would you pick and why?

greenNyellow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pryor, Mosley, Dix, Hageman, Enron. In that order. Pryor has been flying up boards. Last month I was confident he was our pick. Now I think he has passed Dix as the best safety. He could be taken by the rams at 13 or cowboys at 17. If Mosley falls and Pryor isn't available that would be great, I'd like Mosley paired with Hawk. If we get any one of Pryor, Mosley or Dix I'm happy, very happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it still makes a lot of sense, if the right one is available, to take a corner in the first round. No promises on tramons season or if he will be given an extension, with our injury history, and a year to learn the defense, a first round corner would be a good fit for us.

tatertot22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we should take a corner like Jason verrett from TCU. Kid is a stud and if he was an inch or two taller would be top 10-15 pick. After seeing this guy play for last couple of years i cant help but think the guy is gonna be something special and can be a true lock down corner.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about who the Packers will draft with their first pick assuming they don't trade back at all. I think there could be 5 options available that would make sense (though a couple of them might have to drop):
C.J. Mosley - ILB
Eric Ebron - TE
Rashede Hageman- DE
Calvin Pryor - FS
Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix - FS

Assuming all 5 of these guys are available at 21 (which they won't), who would you pick and why?

Post-Peppers signing:

Mosley
Clinton-Dix
Pryor
Ebron
Hageman.

Mosley would be a major upgrade at ILB, which is one of our 2 weakest spots.
Clinton-Dix and Pryor are both great, with Dix being a bit more NFL-ready and Pryor perhaps having more upside.
Ebron is a definite consideration if Finley isn't coming back, but waiting until round 2 for either Seferian-Jenkins or Kyle Van Noy may be a better strategy.
Hageman should be chosen only if the Packers front office is convinced this guy is a future superstar. He makes less sense after re-signing Raji and getting Peppers, unless they intend to give him a year of learning behind those guys, and unless they're convinced that Datone Jones isn't going to be a solid starter.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Pryor, Dix, Mosley are available for us, I'd take Mosley. With Lacy on the team now I don't think I'd take Ebron in the first. I'd probably wait until the second or third and take the TE from Notre Dame who is a clone, physically, of Gronk and the best blocker in this TE class.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely Mosley. I think he will be an uber stud in the NFL. In order, Mosley, Dix, Ebron, Pryor, and I would not take Hagemann in the first. I think he may drop into the mid 2nd, but you never know. Some GMs put a heavy weight on combine numbers; based on his game tape, he fits into mid to late 2nd.

tatertot22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^I agree no way I would take Hagemann in the first especially after the recent free agent signings. While I wouldn't be disappointed with the packers picking Mosley, I feel that the secondary is weak and we would be better off going that route by choosing Pryor, Clinton-Dix, or taking one of the top corners available.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pryor or Mosley of those 5 I guess Mosley but I'd prob rather have Justin Gilbert cornerback Oklahoma State. He is Shields fast but bigger and can return kicks which is something we need a full time kick returner. Also with Hyde likely moving to safety and Williams prob in his last year or two, having another corner for the future would be great.

Now if the Packers are not gonna resign Finley, then I would seriously consider Ebron at 21. He is about the same size as Finley but a step or two faster. If you watch his game tape you can clearly see he is an explosive athlete. A man that size running away from people taking short receptions to the house is worth a first round pick. He would basically replace Finley with an equal weapon for Rodgers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope TT trades the pick and moves back to around pick 36. I'd like for us to end up with six picks between 35-100. I think we'll end up with 4th round comp pick for Jennings and 6th for Walden.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that kid from Washington state... Deone Bucannon he should be a picks between 35 - 100... But if trade down u wanna get at least an extra pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am really intrigued from what I've seen out of Shazier. Fast, Athletic guy who can tackle and knows how to blitz.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am fine with trading down provided they can still pick up a safety and ILB that can both play if not start from week 1. I just don't know if Borland/Shazier/Stanford mohawk guy and Buchanan will both be available with the 2 2nd round picks or late 1st and 2nd round picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am really intrigued from what I've seen out of Shazier. Fast, Athletic guy who can tackle and knows how to blitz.

I´m just curious where you would like him to play after seeing you post that you want Perry moved to ROLB in another thread.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like Shazier too, would actually be ok drafting him IF this team ran a 4-3 defense and he could play WILL. The guy is smaller than Kam Chancellor, he just doesn't have the size to play inside linebacker in our defense (or any defense, really). Realistically, the Packers need to target Mosley in the first if they want an impact ILB who can start on the team from day one. Othewise they're drafting guys that might become players in a couple years.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean like Lacy and Bahktiari? You don't think you can find starters after the 1st round?
I like Shazier too, would actually be ok drafting him IF this team ran a 4-3 defense and he could play WILL. The guy is smaller than Kam Chancellor, he just doesn't have the size to play inside linebacker in our defense (or any defense, really). Realistically, the Packers need to target Mosley in the first if they want an impact ILB who can start on the team from day one. Othewise they're drafting guys that might become players in a couple years.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If Thompson were to trade directly from 21 to 36, he'd probably also get pick 67 and a 7th rounder.
I like that kid from Washington state... Deone Bucannon he should be a picks between 35 - 100... But if trade down u wanna get at least an extra pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean like Lacy and Bahktiari? You don't think you can find starters after the 1st round?

Uhmm, I think you read quite a bit more into what I intended. Of course you can find starters after the first round. However, this year's ILB has one guy that's a consensus first year impact player, that's Mosley. The other guys may very well end up being terrific players, but you're not counting on it. When you draft a player you need to have realistic expectations on that player. It's realistic to think that Mosley could be the best ILB on our team from week 1 this year. It's not realistic to expect the same from any of the other ILBs on the team.

Members online

Latest posts