First-round CB for Packers?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found this article in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel blog. I think this CB has been mentioned by others here as a first-round possibility for the Packers:

McShay likes cornerback for Packers
By Rick Klauer
Wednesday, Feb 6 2008, 09:57 PM

Todd McShay updated his mock draft this week and has a new first-round pick for the Packers: Tennessee State cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

McShay previously had USC tight end Fred Davis in Green Bay's spot at No. 30 in the draft.

Says McShay: "Packers QB Brett Favre certainly would welcome the addition of a tight end like Davis, who can stretch the seam and generate yards after the catch. However, the team has a more pressing need in the defensive secondary, and Rodgers-Cromartie is one of the fastest-rising prospects in the 2008 class right now. The small-school product proved capable of playing with the big boys at the Senior Bowl, where he demonstrated outstanding versatility and athleticism playing both free safety and cornerback throughout the week."

Get the entire first round at ESPN.com (subscription required).

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I found this article in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel blog. I think this CB has been mentioned by others here as a first-round possibility for the Packers:

McShay likes cornerback for Packers
By Rick Klauer
Wednesday, Feb 6 2008, 09:57 PM

Todd McShay updated his mock draft this week and has a new first-round pick for the Packers: Tennessee State cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

McShay previously had USC tight end Fred Davis in Green Bay's spot at No. 30 in the draft.

Says McShay: "Packers QB Brett Favre certainly would welcome the addition of a tight end like Davis, who can stretch the seam and generate yards after the catch. However, the team has a more pressing need in the defensive secondary, and Rodgers-Cromartie is one of the fastest-rising prospects in the 2008 class right now. The small-school product proved capable of playing with the big boys at the Senior Bowl, where he demonstrated outstanding versatility and athleticism playing both free safety and cornerback throughout the week."

Get the entire first round at ESPN.com (subscription required).

I like a guy who could play both the CB and FS role. That's a plus.

A TE would be good too, but I have a feeling if we draft a TE first round, Bubba and the Packers part ways.

Big_Dog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would favor a defensive lineman that can rush the passer or an offensive lineman to improve our guards and maybe allow the Packers to generate a running game.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A TE would be good too, but I have a feeling if we draft a TE first round, Bubba and the Packers part ways.

That would seem to be a foregone conclusion. I can't imagine Thompson (or any GM) keeping three tight ends with high dollar contracts.

CB is what I'm hoping for most in the first round, with TE second. But I also think a pass rusher is not out of the question.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

That would seem to be a foregone conclusion. I can't imagine Thompson (or any GM) keeping three tight ends with high dollar contracts.

CB is what I'm hoping for most in the first round, with TE second. But I also think a pass rusher is not out of the question.

I'd really like to see either a beasty OL or a savage pass rusher in the first round, but I have a feeling it's gonna be a CB. The only reason I could see getting a TE in the first round is if Bubba goes bye-bye. Honestly... I could see Bubba taking a cut in pay to stay with the Pack before he shoves off to another team. So, unless the Pack cuts him, I don't think we'll have a need for a TE early in the draft.

As far as this Rodgers-Cromartie kid, I haven't seen much about him, but I know we're most likely gonna take a CB in the 1st. I'm gonna wait for the combine to start throwing judgements around.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well this is a fairly decent class at Corner, so maybe we will wait, but I think that is the spot..

Although, with the inability to run the ball on a consistant nature, there will be some thought to an interior lineman if one is sitting there of good value.

But it is a guessing game, last year DT was the last place I thought we would spend the first pick, so it will probably be a RB or QB.

Why a QB you ask, it is about time to start to develop another understudy, albeit I don't think it will be in the first round unless someone really peaks their interest. Think of the options if Brett decides to play the 09' season. But I am almost guarantee that we select a QB in this draft.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well this is a fairly decent class at Corner, so maybe we will wait, but I think that is the spot..

Although, with the inability to run the ball on a consistant nature, there will be some thought to an interior lineman if one is sitting there of good value.

But it is a guessing game, last year DT was the last place I thought we would spend the first pick, so it will probably be a RB or QB.

Why a QB you ask, it is about time to start to develop another understudy, albeit I don't think it will be in the first round unless someone really peaks their interest. Think of the options if Brett decides to play the 09' season. But I am almost guarantee that we select a QB in this draft.

In my humble opinion, a QB in the first round would be MADNESS. With an established veteran and a young guy who looks ready to take over, I just don't see room for a big-time QB prospect on the roster. Maybe Thompson could take a developmental guy in the fourth round or lower, but I really don't see anything more than that.

RB would not be out of the question. It might depend largely on what the coaching staff thinks of Brandon Jackson. Do they think he can come back strong after a disappointing rookie season? Still, I see RB as a longshot as well.

On the other hand, what do I know? I was not expecting a DT in the first round last year.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
In my humble opinion, a QB in the first round would be MADNESS. With an established veteran and a young guy who looks ready to take over, I just don't see room for a bit-time QB prospect on the roster. Maybe Thompson could take a developmental guy in the fourth round or lower, but I really don't see anything more than that.

RB would not be out of the question. It might depend largely on what the coaching staff thinks of Brandon Jackson. Do they think he can come back strong after a disappointing rookie season? Still, I see RB as a longshot as well.

On the other hand, what do I know? I was not expecting a DT in the first round last year.

I agree on the QB part, it is mostly tounge and cheek, but I do believe there will be a QB drafted someplace in the middle of this draft. Any year could be Favre's last and we will need depth at the QB position and some type of an insurance policy to protect the backside if injury or Rodgers fails to meet the coaches expectations.

I am almost sure that I will be shocked again come draft day.. I was stunned with the 1st rounder last year. ;)

How about Mendenhal as a counter to Grant.. a back that can come in an hammer away at the defense and pair up with Grant. Then let Jackson or Herron pick up the 3rd down role. Shift Wynn to FB and teach the boy how to lower his shoulder.

But if I had to bet from looking at the roster... CB or G. But like you, what the heck do I know.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't see them taking an interior O-lineman early in the draft. They went heavy with that position two years ago and added Allen Barbre last year. The pass blocking has been pretty darn good. The run blocking has been hit-and-miss, but generally improving. I think they will continue to let the current crop of O-linemen develop together. A rookie is not likely to make an impact at an interior O-line position anyway.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My review of the prospects indicates that the value at CB may not be there at #30. It depends on how many are selected by the time the Packers are on the clock.

While CB is an important place to draft, the better value may be there in the second round. Ted may trade down or just use the 61st pick on a CB.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen about 6 first round possible CB in the draft at this point, the odds are pretty good that one will find his way to #30.

There are also currently a few DE and LB.

I don't see any OG projected for the 1st round. 4 or 5 OTs.

I can see either CB, OT, DE or LB.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
How many times have they drafted what FANS feel is the way to go with the #1 spot..

Might just shock everyone and take a LB..

Seriously tho, I would love to see a guard that has a mean streak like Ross Verba had

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers-Cromartie might not even be there when the Packers pick. I watched a lot of the Senior Bowl and he's the guy that jumped out to me a lot. If the Packers get him I'll be one happy Packer fan.

I don't like the idea of taking a DE in the 1st round. How many times do defensive ends actually come in and do anything in their rookie year? Jevon Kearse and Julius Peppers comes to mind but that's about it. I rather go out and actually sign a free agent DE than draft one based on the Packers current situation.

CB in my opinion is another story. GB just needs a nickel back or someone to develop behind Woodson and Harris. The Eagles had Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent but they developed Lito Shepphard and Sheldon Brown at the same time. I think the Packers should follow in their footsteps. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pack go for 2 defensive backs in the first 4 rounds.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
one thing is for sure..Some people will be ticked off, and clal for Teds head, some will be okay and some will be happy..

But if they can't get a guard, then as Porky said, get a cb to learb from Al and Woddy would be my 2nd choice

Reaction score
CB Patrick Lee (senior if I'm not mistaken) is someone that has intrigued me.

I don't watch a lot of college ball, but watching the Senior Bowl practice recap, they showed highlights of Lee and he reminded me a bit of Woodson in terms of versatility. Was coming up to press receivers, but was also giving the WRs a cushion of 10 yards and still doing a solid job getting a jump on the ball.

Mock Drafts I've seen thus far have Lee going in the early second round, so based on that there is a realistic shot that Lee could be on the draft board when the Packers pick.

I've seen Lee rated as the #3 CB in this class, but the problem is he hasn't had a history of producing in college.

Reaction score
one thing is for sure..Some people will be ticked off, and clal for Teds head, some will be okay and some will be happy..

You know I kinda half wish we'd draft a QB in the first, just to see how bad the reaction would be.

I admit, I'd probably throw something at the TV the next time I saw a pic of Ted on.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

You know I kinda half wish we'd draft a QB in the first, just to see how bad the reaction would be.

I admit, I'd probably throw something at the TV the next time I saw a pic of Ted on.

:wall:

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. I just watched D Mcfadden highlights and I have to say he as a style that is much like Ryan Grant's. By this I mean that he doesn't dance around, and hits the hole hard, yet still has the little juke to trick people.

DMac is obviously more athletic, and this is not a serious or plausible desire, but I seriously think he would fit our system.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have the 2 best corners in the NFC... Collins/Bigby were a good Safety duo. I think taking a CB in the 1st round to provide depth is a wasted pick.

Do we not need a starter in other areas? Like Inside OL, may be a TE?

HOw about a OLB? Are we set there with poppinga?

Then again, if we are picking for depth, why not trade down?
This is what I think TT will do... Trade down and get more picks.
OR trade UP for a STUD inside OL.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you don't draft for the present, you draft for the future. our CBs are old, and we will need new starters in the not-so-distant future. I don't see TT trading down. he did that previously, but that's because we had no depth. I would love to see him trade up for a stud Guard.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have the 2 best corners in the NFC... Collins/Bigby were a good Safety duo. I think taking a CB in the 1st round to provide depth is a wasted pick.

Do we not need a starter in other areas? Like Inside OL, may be a TE?

HOw about a OLB? Are we set there with poppinga?

Then again, if we are picking for depth, why not trade down?
This is what I think TT will do... Trade down and get more picks.
OR trade UP for a STUD inside OL.

Who are the inside OL, TE or OLB prospects you are looking for?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
you don't draft for the present, you draft for the future. our CBs are old, and we will need new starters in the not-so-distant future. I don't see TT trading down. he did that previously, but that's because we had no depth. I would love to see him trade up for a stud Guard.

Me too!

I still think you wait into the 2nd or 3rd round to pick a CB when it is a position of strength on your team...

Members online

Latest posts