First Month In - 3 Players Far Exceeding Expectations

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Decline last year??? Rodgers was literally the MVP and had arguably one of his best efficient seasons ever. You have got to be confused.

Last year his completion percentage was over 70% for the first time in his career in which he played the entire season (2007 he was still a backup and only threw 28 attempts) *this led the league in 2020
Last year he threw for 48 TDs - led the league with closest being 8 behind.
Last year his passer rating was 121.5 - nearly a full 10 points ahead of second place.
He tied for the lead with Mahomes with 1% pass interception percentage last year
His QBR of 84.40 led the league
His Passing TD % led the league at 9.1% - second place was 7.2%

Yeah he was terrible...
HUH? I guess there is a misunderstanding. I said with the exception of LAST year. However, he still failed miserably during the playoff.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year his completion percentage was over 70% for the first time in his career in which he played the entire season (2007 he was still a backup and only threw 28 attempts) *this led the league in 2020
Last year he threw for 48 TDs - led the league with closest being 8 behind.
Last year his passer rating was 121.5 - nearly a full 10 points ahead of second place.
He tied for the lead with Mahomes with 1% pass interception percentage last year
His QBR of 84.40 led the league
His Passing TD % led the league at 9.1% - second place was 7.2%

Yeah he was terrible...
But aside from those fancy shmancy stats, he sucked.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HUH? I guess there is a misunderstanding. I said with the exception of LAST year. However, he still failed miserably during the playoff.
Rodgers was definitely on the decline for 3 or 4 years prior to last year. His play last season showed to me that it was more his attitude than his physical skills.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with his "decline" prior to 2020 season, which I'd argue he was still a tops QB in the league, I find it hard to believe someone genuinely believes Rodgers is one of the top 3 players weighing expectations vs actually getting - but to each their own.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with his "decline" prior to 2020 season, which I'd argue he was still a tops QB in the league, I find it hard to believe someone genuinely believes Rodgers is one of the top 3 players weighing expectations vs actually getting - but to each their own.
Calm down, bud. My post was just a joke, man....but I still stand about my opinion on Rod in regards to his personality(or attitude) that seems to affect his performance.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
1. Campbell - I had no expectation that he'd play this well. Easily the defensive MVP so far imo.

2. Newman - I wasn't expecting him to start every game like he has. He's been average in performance and has shown that the game isn't too big for him.

3. Nijman - I was figuring that he'd be our swing backup tackle at best. Has also shown he's ready to play and start in this league.

Super HM - Bojorquez - Definite upgrade over Scott.

HM - Stokes, Myers, Dillon

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am also mildly shocked Turner didn't come to my mind. In a OL in flux, that man has been mr. steady - which arguably goes against the thread discussion, so not being brought up I guess is fitting.

Reaction score
Not even a question

#1 De’Vondre Campbell. After 5 contests he is on pace for 163Tackles 7INT 10PD and 3FR. Continuing anywhere near that pace would place him arguably as one of just several of the NFL’s top LB’s. What’s more incredible is @$2mil, he’s one of the lowest paid LB’s leaguewide. 40 ILB have a higher salary than Campbell. The guy is everywhere all the time.

#2 Royce Newman (4th Round) Ironically, Coming out of the SEC his draft comparable was Billy Turner (3rd round). Much due to them both being position diversified. Newman has significant experience at RT and plenty of Size and speed to transition, if needed. A late 4th rounder coming in and winning a starting spot protecting Aaron Rodgers day 1? That’s huge. He’s barely even Pro- acclimated and yet he’s playing like a 2-3 year veteran. The RT thing? That’s just icing and at either position, he’s nowhere close to his ceiling.

#3 Corey Bojorquez. Last year he led the NFL in net punting average (50.8). That’s NET! #4 in the history of the NFL. The Packers took notice and ever so quietly switched their 2023 6th rounder for a 2023 7th rounder to acquire him. He kicks left footed.. but his appearance in GB is right on time.

To put his leg strength into perspective, He recorded an 80 yard punt in H.S. and a 70 yarder for the Rams that rolled out of bounds inside the 1 yard line. He already kicked one from our Endzone that was caught at the opposing 38 for near zero return due to hang time. JK couldn’t do that with 5 tries and a slight backwind.
Corey’s leg strength is ideal for colder weather and his best is yet to come. Corey being a Minister of the Lord means he’ll never be the guy who “doesn’t have a prayer” and he’s a blessing in disguise.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am also mildly shocked Turner didn't come to my mind. In a OL in flux, that man has been mr. steady - which arguably goes against the thread discussion, so not being brought up I guess is fitting.
Billy Turner hasn't exceeded my expectations because....I expected him to be this good. I also thought that he played well last year.

JK couldn’t do that with 5 tries and a slight backwind.
Don't forget about JK Scott's MVP night to win the 2019 opener against Chicago (see below). To be fair, JK Scott had a big leg. His weakness was a lack of control. Unfortunately JK wasn't improving and even seemed to be getting worse each season.

"It wasn't the first time a "J-K!" chant has broken out in the Packers' postgame locker room, but this rendition could very well go down as the most memorable.

And deservedly so, after Green Bay's second-year punter was thrust into the spotlight during a defensive showcase against the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field Thursday night. Scott was asked to punt a career-high nine times to Pro Bowl returner Tarik Cohen, who led the NFL with 411 punt return yards in 2018. With field position at a premium, Scott dropped a career-high five punts inside Chicago's 20-yard line.

He also boomed a pair of 63-yard punts, none more important than his last effort that backed the Bears up to their own 14-yard line after a holding penalty with Green Bay clinging to a one-score lead with 1 minute, 33 seconds remaining.

The Packers' defense took the rest from there, stopping Chicago on four straight plays to seal the road win."

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay after the 53 was set.
1. Campbell- everyone has touted him.
2. Newman- here in Chicago one of the writers really liked him. He thought he wasn't getting much hype and would be an absolute steal for the Bears in 5th or 6th round. GB got him in the 4th. He IMO has outplayed Runyan who I liked.
3. Myers- He was drafted pretty much 100 spots ahead of Linsley but I didn't think this Buckeye had a chance to be anywhere near as good. It's still early but for now he has impressed.

So basically 3 guys who were not even on the team last year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers had a passer rating of 104.4 during the playoffs last season and yet he failed miserably??? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...in the playoff.

The QB that in first game went 23 of 36 (63.89%) for 296 yds and 2 TDs, no INTs and a QB rating of 108.1?
or the QB that in the second game went 33 for 48 (68.75%) for 346 yards and 3 TDS, 1 INT and a QB rating of 101.6? (that was while suffering 5 sacks and tons of pressures)

There are numerous fingers and places for blame to settle on in the playoffs last year...but Aaron Rodgers specifically doesn't break the top 5 or even 10 if forced to list things.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hard for a QB to win in the NFCCG when the refs let their guys hold our receivers, but have laser focus on the issue when GB has the ball…

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Brady is consistently able to get more out of his teammates than Rodgers?

I saw a report yesterday about Richard Sherman's comment that he's never walked into a talented locker room like in Tampa Bay. He clarified by saying that he was describing not only the talent but how focused the team is all week. He specifically mentioned how the team 'stiffens up' when a mistake is made and Brady cracks the whip.

I've always gotten the sense that (at least) in a game when an offensive player makes a mistake, Rodgers acts more Midwest and acts like you've wronged him. Brady seems a little more East Coast that he screams at you because you're messing up the team's chance of winning. I'm not sure that I'm describing it well, but essentially wronging the QB versus wronging the team.

Full disclosure. I am not a Brady hater. While Rodgers is more talented than Brady I think that Brady has been a better all-around QB. Much like Unitas versus Starr in the 60s. Unitas was more talented but Starr (similar to Brady) was just a gamer.

Let the arguing ensue....

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers outplayed Brady in the NFCCG yet once again Brady benefitted from having the superior supporting cast.
Doesn't matter he can sleep with another SB trophy in his bed. He came to a new team and did what he had to do. Rod is talented but he got beat! By claiming he had a superior supporting cast that negates his stats and his "supporting cast" in the regular season. Overall what matters is with a an elite QB with a descent team, you GET IT DONE.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Brady is consistently able to get more out of his teammates than Rodgers?

I saw a report yesterday about Richard Sherman's comment that he's never walked into a talented locker room like in Tampa Bay. He clarified by saying that he was describing not only the talent but how focused the team is all week. He specifically mentioned how the team 'stiffens up' when a mistake is made and Brady cracks the whip.

I've always gotten the sense that (at least) in a game when an offensive player makes a mistake, Rodgers acts more Midwest and acts like you've wronged him. Brady seems a little more East Coast that he screams at you because you're messing up the team's chance of winning. I'm not sure that I'm describing it well, but essentially wronging the QB versus wronging the team.

Full disclosure. I am not a Brady hater. While Rodgers is more talented than Brady I think that Brady has been a better all-around QB. Much like Unitas versus Starr in the 60s. Unitas was more talented but Starr (similar to Brady) was just a gamer.

Let the arguing ensue....
Couldn't have said it any better. Persona is very pertinent in this situation and everything that has manifested in regards to Rod's personality makes sense now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wow, now Brady is already better at screaming at other players than Rodgers :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter he can sleep with another SB trophy in his bed. He came to a new team and did what he had to do. Rod is talented but he got beat! By claiming he had a superior supporting cast that negates his stats and his "supporting cast" in the regular season. Overall what matters is with a an elite QB with a descent team, you GET IT DONE.

Football is the ultimate team sport, Rodgers can't get it done all by himself. Anyone suggesting Brady hasn't had a superior supporting cast for most of his career is just being ignorant.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, now Brady is already better at screaming at other players than Rodgers :rolleyes:

Football is the ultimate team sport, Rodgers can't get it done all by himself. Anyone suggesting Brady hasn't had a superior supporting cast for most of his career is just being ignorant.
I agree. I think the missing formula was Gronk. If only we had Gronk that would have completed our "superior supporting cast."

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree. I think the missing formula was Gronk. If only we had Gronk that would have completed our "superior supporting cast."

While Gronk has been a big part of Brady's success having a top 10 scoring defense in 17 of 20 seasons as a staring quarterback made all the difference.

The Packers defense finished in the top 10 in that category only three times in 13 seasons with Rodgers starting.

Latest posts