First Cuts Made - Wynn Gone - Harrell on PUP

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2008/08/25/2/

The Green Bay Packers have made five roster moves to reach the NFL-mandated 75-player limit of this week. Released were running backs DeShawn Wynn and Ryan Powdrell, along with wide receiver Chris Francies and offensive lineman Ryan Considine. Additionally, defensive tackle Justin Harrell has been placed on the reserve/physically unable to perform list. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, announced the transactions Monday.

Players on the reserve/PUP list cannot be placed on the active roster during the first six weeks of the season. After that time, they are eligible to practice with the club for up to three weeks. If a player is activated from the reserve/PUP list to the active roster, a subsequent roster move must be made to maintain the 53-man active roster limit.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I'm actually a little surprised at some the cuts. I expected Wynn to at least make it to the next cut so he could get some playing time in the next preseason game, since he's finally healthy.

I also expected Francies to make it to the next cut. I guess they just got fed up with his drops.

Lame news about Harrell. Ted Thompson drafts well, but I never really agreed with that pick. If there was a player whose injury history suggested future injury problems, it was Harrell. It would have been better to almost get ANY player who could be contributing. One of those speedy tight ends, or a good offensive or healthy defensive linemen. I'm sure Denver is glad they got their defensive linemen rather then Harrell. I know hindsight is 20/20, but I was instantly concerned about this pick.

Oh well, on to the future!! I bet we'll be seeing Wynn playing elsewhere this year . .

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UGGHH!!. Harrell's contract gave him 8 million guaranteed. So far that's one million per game. At least it's not Joe Johnson $$$. Or is it?

I thought Alan Branch might have been a better option. Cards took him at pick 33. Maybe it was too much of a reach to take Branch at 16, but an injury risk like Harrell was the bigger gamble.

I've read that Harrell had back issues in high school.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=758023

Not to mention the shin surgery, broken ankle, and of course the ruptured tendon.

"I don't know. It seems some guys have cycles at certain times when they may have some injuries in a row," Packer defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said. "But I don't know if I can say he's injury prone. Not really.

"I don't really know that much about (his history). But certainly the last year or so, he's had some situations that have come up. But he's a good guy, trying to stay on top of things. We're trying to be cautious with him and hopefully he'll be ready to go."

Not good Bob. Probably should have kept that one to yourself.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its safe to apply the bust label to Harrell now. It happens....hopefully not to often.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Asked whether Wynn can play in the NFL, Thompson said, "I do. I think he has to do what he does, which is run the football. But in this league, you have to be available, and that's part of the requirement."

Ted is one cold s.o.b, and that's why I enjoy his work. :inlove:

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yourout said:
I think its safe to apply the bust label to Harrell now. It happens....hopefully not to often.

i think it's still too early to apply a bust label quite yet...let's see if he overcome this injury and contribute a little later in this season. After this season is over, then maybe we can look at him being a bust...i just hate to label someone a bust when they've had injuries

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not suprised by these cuts really. Dodd you say Wynn and Francies were suprising, but i mean... they were two marginal talents on the two deepest parts of our offense. Francies was never ever gonna make this team and Wynn can't stay healthy. We still have 5-6 better receivers and at least 3 running backs with better upside AND proven contribution than Wynn. No suprises for me.

Harrell is having surgery soon, maybe today Ted says. and team doctors are hoping that gets him on the field quicker than the few weeks it would have taken to rest it back to normal.

He contributed last season and it looks like he will contribute some this season after the surgery. So you really cant call that a bust. Especially when there is evidence that he has busted his tail to get back to playing. I think so far we can go with "disappointing" as a label for Justin right now, but not bust. He played last year at a decent level and everyone in the FO apparently seems confident he will play this year as well. So its not really a bust unless you consider a number 16th picked DT to be a pro bowler in his first year. AND not to mention we have a lot of DT's so expecting a ton from Harrell in the first place may be foolish.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why are we holding on to harrel ??? i wont say he is a bust ... but he really hasnt done anything for the pack .... when ted picks these guys ,, he does seem to get players that are ready to play the game .... so why are we sitting on this kid ???

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be pretty stupid of us to let a first round pick go a year after he was drafted because of injuries...

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't cut a first round pick after one season because of a few injuries. Is he a disappointment to this point? Yes. But I'm not ready to throw the towel in on him just yet because of a bad back. The Packers made the right move by putting him on the PUP list instead of IR. Just shut him down for now, let him rehab, and we'll see you in October hopefully.

Wynn was never that spectacular to begin with. The only reason he made the final roster last year was due to injury to Morency, Jackson's inexperience, and Grant's unfamiliarity with the offense at the time since we had just traded for him at the end of camp. Admittedly he made a few nice runs early in the year, but he never had a 100 yard rushing game like Grant had and the guy just can't stay healthy. I expect to see the Packers take a heavy look at Morency, Herron, and Lumpkin before making a final decision on who to keep there.

Francies has been around a long time on the Practice Squad. Considering the drops he had this camp, I'm not surprised he didn't make it. Smith, Swain, Quinn, and the rest of the young recievers will see plenty of balls thrown their way in the first and second half on Thursday.