First 53 prediction

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Lyerla stays clear of trouble he´ll make the team for sure, he´s by far the most talented out of the group on the roster right now.

I don't see how you can say he's the most talented TE on roster. Most athletic? Sure. Most talented? Until I have more to go on than 34 college receptions I have to go with Quarless there. I also want to see Lyerla on time to every team function and not miss any practices unless puking his guts out and running a fever. If he misses anything for "personal reasons" like he regularly did at Oregon, then I'm personally done with him and I hope Ted is too.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see how you can say he's the most talented TE on roster. Most athletic? Sure. Most talented? Until I have more to go on than 34 college receptions I have to go with Quarless there.

The Packers wouldn´t have brought him in if they believe Quarless is more talented than him.

I also want to see Lyerla on time to every team function and not miss any practices unless puking his guts out and running a fever. If he misses anything for "personal reasons" like he regularly did at Oregon, then I'm personally done with him and I hope Ted is too.

Absolutely agree with that.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion has done nothing to impress. He averages 10 tackles and 1 sack per year. I just have a hunch that Kuhn will finally become a victim of Father Time. House has been the least impressive of the veterans at CB and I see Goodson getting his shot at his expense. And Lyerla... well, I just don't see any evidence thus far of maturation. If he shows some of that, I may change my mind. But if we keep 3 TE (I can't see us keeping more than 9 WR/TE) then Quarless, Bostic and our 3rd round pick win out in my mind right now.

House is much more impressive than bush at cornerback. If the choice is bush house Goodson. I hope house stays bugs goes and Goodson is on ps. They gonna keep 10 WR/TE gotta remember they used to keep 5 TE on 53. Last year kept 4 mm/TT like TE body type for special teams they have stated many times.

D

Deleted member 6794

House is much more impressive than bush at cornerback. If the choice is bush house Goodson. I hope house stays bugs goes and Goodson is on ps. They gonna keep 10 WR/TE gotta remember they used to keep 5 TE on 53. Last year kept 4 mm/TT like TE body type for special teams they have stated many times.

House and Goodson are more talented than Bush playing CB. McCarthy loves him for his contributions on special teams though, not sure the team is even thinking about releasing him.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has House made any plays as big as Bush did against Atlanta last year? People have made a game out of crapping on Jarrett Bush for years now, but really he's a positive contributor year after year. Not everyone on a roster can be a pro bowl cover corner.

D

Deleted member 6794

Has House made any plays as big as Bush did against Atlanta last year? People have made a game out of crapping on Jarrett Bush for years now, but really he's a positive contributor year after year. Not everyone on a roster can be a pro bowl cover corner.

Bush has mostly been a liability in pass coverage over his career. He made some great plays, like the interception in the Super Bowl, but I rather have him playing on special teams only.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers wouldn´t have brought him in if they believe Quarless is more talented than him.

Then by the same token, one could say the Packers wouldn't have drafted Rodgers is they didn't believe he was more talented than Quarless too. We also drafted Davante Adams. Does that mean the Packers think he's more talented than Jordy?

Maybe they brought in Lyerla because they thought he would give us solid depth at TE.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush is one of the best gunners in the NFL. He's a special teams beast and he provides good depth when our starters need a breather. He stays.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Then by the same token, one could say the Packers wouldn't have drafted Rodgers is they didn't believe he was more talented than Quarless too. We also drafted Davante Adams. Does that mean the Packers think he's more talented than Jordy?

Maybe they brought in Lyerla because they thought he would give us solid depth at TE.

Thompson took the risk of signing Lyerla because he thinks the guy is capable of becoming a star player at a position of need and for sure not for him to ending up sitting on the bench and playing on special teams. The comparison doesn´t apply to other players drafted or signed as UDFA cause they don´t present the same risk as Lyerla.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lyerla is more physically talented than Quarless. Quarless can't run nearly as fast jump as high or long isn't as explosive etc. now the question is can Lyerla translate that physical talent into production in the nfl. I believe he can and so does TT or he wouldn't have signed him. With Rodgers throwing him the ball and so many other weapons on the field Lyerla has the potential to be a star. Quarless does not have that potential he could be a solid starter but he doesn't have star potential.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson took the risk of signing Lyerla because he thinks the guy is capable of becoming a star player at a position of need and for sure not for him to ending up sitting on the bench and playing on special teams. The comparison doesn´t apply to other players drafted or signed as UDFA cause they don´t present the same risk as Lyerla.
Next time you talk to him, tell him to get McCarthy's new contract done ASAP.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense (26)
QB (3)
1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Matt Flynn
3. Scott Tolzien
RB (4)
1. Eddie Lacy
2. James Starks
3. Dujuan Harris
4. Jonathan Franklin
FB (1)
1. John Kuhn
TE (4)
1. Andrew Quarless
2. Colt Lyerla
3. Brandon Bostick
4. Richard Rodgers
WR (6)
1. Jordy Nelson
2. Randall Cobb
3. Jarrett Boykin
4. Davante Adams
5. Jared Aberdarius
6. Jeff Janis
OL (8)
1. David Baktiari
2. Josh Sitton
3. JC Tretter
4. TJ Lang
5. Bryan Bulaga
6. Derek Sherrod
7. Corey Linsley
8. Don Barclay
Defense (24)
S (4)
1. Morgan Burnett
2. Haha Clinton-Dix
3. Sean Richardson
CB (5)
1. Sam Sheilds
2. Tramon Williams
3. Casey Hayward
4. Micah Hyde
5. Jarrett Bush
6. Davon House
OLB (5)
1. Clay Matthews
2. Nick Perry
3. Mike Neal
4. Adrian Hubbard
5. Carl Bradford
ILB (4)
1. AJ Hawk
2. Brad Jones
3. Jamari Lattimore
4. Sam Barrington
DL (6)
1. Julius Peppers
2. Datone Jones
3. Mike Daniels
4. BJ Raji
5. Khyri Thorton
6. Josh Boyd
Special Teams (3)
1. Mason Crosby
2. Tim Mastay
3. Brett Goodwin (can't remember his name but same LS as last year)
Practice Squad (8)
CB Demetri Goodson
S Charles Clay
LB Joe Thomas
WR Kevin Dorsey
LB Jayrone Elliot
WR Chris Harper
RB Rajoin Neal
OL John Fullington
It's a good list, hard to disagree with much. The only two who I don't think will be on the 53 are Janis and House. Janis would be a good candidate for the PS. House has been just too hit and miss and it's too bad cause I like the guy and so do a lot of fans. So based on training camp, might be time for someone to rise up and replace him. Or he could have a helluva camp. It's really his position to keep or lose.

D

Deleted member 6794

Next time you talk to him, tell him to get McCarthy's new contract done ASAP.

Geez, it´s really not that hard to understand why Thompson took a chance on Lyerla. At least for most of us.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
QB Rodgers Flynn 2
WR Cobb Nelson Boykin Adams Abbrederis Janis 6
RB Lacy Starks Harris Franklin 4
FB Kuhn 1
TE Quarless Bostick Rodgers Lyerla 4
T Bulaga Bakhtiari Sherrod 3
G Sitton Lang Barclay 3
C Tretter Linsley 2
DT Raji Guion 2
DE Boyd Thornton Daniels Jones 4
OLB Matthews Peppers Perry Neal Hubbard Bradford 6
ILB Hawk Jones Barrington Lattimore 4
CB Williams Shields Hayward Hyde House Goodson
SS Burnett Richardson 2
FS Clinton-Dix 1
LS Goode 1
P Masthay 1
K Crosby 1
Rettig
Dorsey
Neal
Fullington
Pennel
Thomas
Clay
TireKick*

* Token PS player from another team that we decide to kick the tires on. Probably a CB from a branch team like OAK. Hell, I might as well call it Travis Carrie.

D

Deleted member 6794

QB Rodgers Flynn 2
WR Cobb Nelson Boykin Adams Abbrederis Janis 6
RB Lacy Starks Harris Franklin 4
FB Kuhn 1
TE Quarless Bostick Rodgers Lyerla 4
T Bulaga Bakhtiari Sherrod 3
G Sitton Lang Barclay 3
C Tretter Linsley 2
DT Raji Guion 2
DE Boyd Thornton Daniels Jones 4
OLB Matthews Peppers Perry Neal Hubbard Bradford 6
ILB Hawk Jones Barrington Lattimore 4
CB Williams Shields Hayward Hyde House Goodson
SS Burnett Richardson 2
FS Clinton-Dix 1
LS Goode 1
P Masthay 1
K Crosby 1
Rettig
Dorsey
Neal
Fullington
Pennel
Thomas
Clay
TireKick*

* Token PS player from another team that we decide to kick the tires on. Probably a CB from a branch team like OAK. Hell, I might as well call it Travis Carrie.

Not a lot to argue about, still think the Packers will keep three QBs though. In addition I don´t see Janis making the 53, Worthy and Boyd will fight for the last spot on the line, seems like the Packers like Elliott at OLB as well.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My first attempt I think:

Offense 25
WR 6:Nelson Boykin, Harper Abbrederis Cobb Adams
OL 8: Bakhtiari Sitton Taylor Tretter Linsley Lang Bulaga Sherrod
TE 5: Quarless Taylor Rodgers Lyerla Perillo
QB 2:RODGERS Tolzien
RB 4:Lacy Starks Harris Franklin
Defense 26
DL 6: Jones Neal Raji Boyd Daniels Thornton
OLB 6: Peppers Perry Hubbard Matthews Mulumba Palmer
ILB 4: HAWK Jones Lattimore Bradford
CB 6: WILLIAMS House Goodson Shields Hayward Hyde
S 4: Burnett Banjo Clinton-Dix Richardson
Special Teams 2 Masthay & Crosby
Last 6 in: Harper, Taylor, Perillo, Hubbard, Molumba, House
Last 6 out: Worthy, Kuhn, Bush, Bostick, Flynn, Barclay

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Offense 25
Defense 26

Do you have some inside information on Perillo, I can't imagine bostick being cut at all and especially in favor of Perillo. Rest I can see Flynn could get beat out by Tolzien, Tolzien a younger more talented Flynn. TE group can replace Kuhn at FB. Not sure they keep Harper over Janis although I liked Harper coming out, thought he had some James jones in him. But now we have Adams who looks to be a better version of jones. Obviously TT liked Harper coming out but I think he liked Janis more to pick Janis after he had already taken 2 other WR to me means TT really likes Janis a lot and he will likely not risk getting him through to the ps.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Not a lot to argue about, still think the Packers will keep three QBs though. In addition I don´t see Janis making the 53, Worthy and Boyd will fight for the last spot on the line, seems like the Packers like Elliott at OLB as well.
I could see that, and Goodson is probably the guy I cut for Tolz. I have Janis simply because I like the upside (Julio Jones) and I completely see him getting Charles Johnson-ed though, but possible that White or Dorsey make it over him though Abby only made it over him because of ST value. Boyd is the only legit Base LDE we have, he wins that battle fairly easily for me. You can cut Lyerla for Elliot if he really is the new camp OLB, Lyerla will make a PS.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see that, and Goodson is probably the guy I cut for Tolz. I have Janis simply because I like the upside (Julio Jones) and I completely see him getting Charles Johnson-ed though, but possible that White or Dorsey make it over him though Abby only made it over him because of ST value. Boyd is the only legit Base LDE we have, he wins that battle fairly easily for me. You can cut Lyerla for Elliot if he really is the new camp OLB, Lyerla will make a PS.

They not gonna cut Lyerla he won't make it through to the ps, he's too good only reason we ended up with him is because everyone is gun shy because of Aaron Hernandez. And this guy plays like Hernandez, and had some off field issues.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have some inside information on Perillo, I can't imagine bostick being cut at all and especially in favor of Perillo. Rest I can see Flynn could get beat out by Tolzien, Tolzien a younger more talented Flynn. TE group can replace Kuhn at FB. Not sure they keep Harper over Janis although I liked Harper coming out, thought he had some James jones in him. But now we have Adams who looks to be a better version of jones. Obviously TT liked Harper coming out but I think he liked Janis more to pick Janis after he had already taken 2 other WR to me means TT really likes Janis a lot and he will likely not risk getting him through to the ps.
Perillo can long snap: http://www.packersnews.com/article/...E-Perillo-comfortable-underdog?nclick_check=1 That makes Goode expendable. Bostick is a promising experiment that may be a late trade if Lyerla is as good as reputed. The only reason I chose Quarles instead over Bostick was knowledge of the playbook otherwise it could be either or.
White, Janis, Harper, Abbredaris, Dorsey will be interesting to watch with Abby a nose ahead as a kick returner.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
They not gonna cut Lyerla he won't make it through to the ps, he's too good only reason we ended up with him is because everyone is gun shy because of Aaron Hernandez. And this guy plays like Hernandez, and had some off field issues.
The reason he will is because of that mountain of red. I nearly decked the guy who told me we gave him a tryout and called him a liar.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Perillo can long snap: http://www.packersnews.com/article/...E-Perillo-comfortable-underdog?nclick_check=1 That makes Goode expendable. Bostick is a promising experiment that may be a late trade if Lyerla is as good as reputed. The only reason I chose Quarles instead over Bostick was knowledge of the playbook otherwise it could be either or.
White, Janis, Harper, Abbredaris, Dorsey will be interesting to watch with Abby a nose ahead as a kick returner.
Why must we make the most consistent player on this team expendable? Besides, so does Gerhart, Lang, Barclay, and Linsley.
Q gets the nod over Boz for blocking purposes IMO

D

Deleted member 6794

Offense 25
Defense 26

I think the fifth and sixth spot at receiver (if the Packers decide to keep that many) is up for grabs and tough to predict who´s going to win it. I don´t see Taylor beating out Barclay for the final spot on the OL. Perillo won´t make the team, even if he´s capable to long snap, the Packers will keep Goode on the roster. Neal will play OLB, that would leave us with only five true DL, I think Guion will make the team as well. The Packers have already said Bradford will play outside as well, don´t think it makes any sense to count on a rookie who never played the position to move inside. Don´t see Banjo making it either.

Members online

Latest posts