1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Update

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by MontanaBob, Aug 3, 2007.

1. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We're still here, but the smoke is unbelievable and unbearable, especially for those with asthma and breathing problems. The "Mile Marker 124" fire is now number one on the Forest Service list for supression and manpower. It has moved east and west along I-90 and is buring a stretch from about 15 miles east of Missoula to about 25 miles east. We took a drive last evening and along one stretch we could actually feel the blast of heat from the fire along the highway. It is actually eerie, driving in broad daylight, headlights on, and you can't see 200 feet in front of you.

To the west of us, the fires are burning in unaccessable terrain and are being attacked only by aerial tankers and Sikorsky Heli-tak crews. Only 5 miles seperate us and the fires....and if a big west wind comes along......we are outta here!

But, we're hanging in there. This is becoming routine every summer and we kind of expect it now. Roof sprinklers are the number one seller at Home Depot now!!!!

2. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully you will be okay Bob.
    During my trip out west we saw alot of smoke and charred terrain but never saw an active fire.
    In Idaho we saw several planes that drop the fire retardant flying out of Boise toward a fire east of Idaho City.
    We have a bad one going right here in the eastern U.P. and it is nowhere close to being contained.
    The DNR is billing it as the 2nd largest fire in U.P. history

Good Luck Bob!

3. Heatherthepackgirl

Heatherthepackgirl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Keep us posted Bob. I to hope you will be okay and that winds dont kick up. We had a fire break out not to far from my work yesterday, but they got that one under control. When things are so dry and windy dont take much for a fire to brew anywhere.

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    GEEZ Bob!
    It's a yearly thing! Maybe you should move to somewhere safe.....like say, WISCONSIN!
    Hey...if you don't have a sprinkler.......drink a case of Blatz, and stand on your roof and just pee!!! :thumbsup: :rotflmao:

5. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Better of dropping your pants if you are drinking Blatz. The runs would put any fire out. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

6. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still around gang. Things have been sort of busy, smokey, and hot here the past week....plus the "honeydew" list of summer projects has kept me busy. We are on a 12 hour standby evacuation notice, which simply means if we are told to evacuate most of us won't; we'll just sit tight and drink that Blatz or Old Milwaukee or whatever and let nature take it's course. :thumbsup:

Lots of people have gone to less smokey places just to get out of this. The mountain across from us is 1 1/2 miles from us and we haven't seen it for three weeks now. To give all of you and idea what it's like, picture this:
    Build a big ring of campfires....big enough so you can just get in the middle of them. Light them all up, and go sit down inside that ring of fires and see what it's like. We have 12 major fires (10,000 acres or more) burning around Missoula and the valley right now, so no matter which way the wind blows, we get smoke. :noflame:

Other than this small obstacle, things are okay. Football season is upon us; the Griz are ranked #2 in the 1-AA or whatever it's called now; the Pack might do well and the Badgers could be pretty good. Plus, this is my last year of teaching, so I'm counting the days already.....and school hasn't even begun yet! :rotflmao: