Fire Shawn Mennenga

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, we need a new special teams coach. I would like to bring Shepherd back. But I think he should get some snaps and throws to get him involved in the game as opposed to just being a punt returner.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yes, we need a new special teams coach. I would like to bring Shepherd back. But I think he should get some snaps and throws to get him involved in the game as opposed to just being a punt returner.
That didn't seem to work out very well in the Lion game, when he fell and tipped the ball right to a Lion defender on the goal line. Again, I think this is trying to project someone as a solution to a problem, when the solution doesn't actually currently exist on the Packer roster.

Seriously, what is the fascination with Shepherd? He was an UDFA that showed absolutely nothing in the regular season when given the chance.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That didn't seem to work out very well in the Lion game, when he fell and tipped the ball right to a Lion defender on the goal line. Again, I think this is trying to project someone as a solution to a problem, when the solution doesn't actually currently exist on the Packer roster.

Seriously, what is the fascination with Shepherd? He was an UDFA that showed absolutely nothing in the regular season when given the chance.
Yeah let’s get Janis back instead :roflmao:

D

Deleted member 6794

About time this thread catch fire. There is absolutely no excuses left. We had 2 blockers on each of the 49'ers gunners on punt returns and on every punt (but one) I watched, at least one gunner broke free and on that one punt, when there actually looked like there might be space to return the ball....fair catch! Mennenga has to go.

With the special teams struggling it might be best to move on from Mennenga after this season. To be fair, Tremon Smith hasn't inspired any confidence in him being able to make an impact as a returner though either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tremon Smith made 2 big errors last night. They didn't cost us, but could have. That punt he didn't field, but then decided to chase down and field with defenders right there as it's bouncing away from him could have been disastrous, and that kick off he let hit at the 3-4 and acted like it was already in the endzone. a different bounce and I doubt he can recover quick enough to field it. You don't have to be the smartest guy on the field as a return man, but you gotta be smarter than that.

Our special teams are an obstacle to this team. A mountain to climb, an albatross to cut loose, dead weight, an encumbrance if you will. They better change something. This team isn't good enough to have to overcome that every game. Especially when their offense isn't working and they punt that much. It's supposed to help you, not kill you.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My fascination is with his quickness and he has good hands imo. That play where he slipped...a lot of people were slipping that game. And other games at Lambeau for that matter. It is a problem imho. But there was not much Shepherd could do. To hold that against him … just means you did not carefully watch the play.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
How and why is it that punt returns are so bad,or is the opposing teams punter that good to keep a return at a minimum?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My fascination is with his quickness and he has good hands imo. That play where he slipped...a lot of people were slipping that game. And other games at Lambeau for that matter. It is a problem imho. But there was not much Shepherd could do. To hold that against him … just means you did not carefully watch the play.

Actually, I was at this game, as well as watched both his muffed punt and the tipped up and intercepted pass on replay, several times. Maybe you should watch both again? ;) I't pretty obvious to me that after that game, the coaches no longer trusted Shepherd in either role (WR/returner). So again, I will say it, I think people clamoring for him to get back to playing aren't really understanding why he is only on the PS, as well as why no other team picked him up after the Packers cut him.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was the same play I saw. What could he have done when he slipped at the exact wrong time. And I guess you are telling me that you see the game better from the stands than I do on TV. HaHa You just already have your mind made up, can't change it and can't see the potential. To answer your next probable question...yes, I think the coaches are wrong in not giving Shepherd a shot. With his quickness; he at least might have been able to get open last night.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It was the same play I saw. What could he have done when he slipped at the exact wrong time. And I guess you are telling me that you see the game better from the stands than I do on TV. HaHa You just already have your mind made up, can't change it and can't see the potential. To answer your next probable question...yes, I think the coaches are wrong in not giving Shepherd a shot. With his quickness; he at least might have been able to get open last night.

Did I say I only saw it once, from the stands? Go back and read my post.

But I get it, you know way more than the coaches do and this in effect makes me wrong as well. :tup: Carry on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How and why is it that punt returns are so bad,or is the opposing teams punter that good to keep a return at a minimum?

My theory is that Mennenga does not trust or feel confident in his units, to give anyone the green light to return punts or kicks. This started with punts, after Shepherd's poor judgment and muff against Detroit. Last nights game was the first one where it seems to be the exact same approach on Kickoffs. This says a lot to me. A coach hasn't done his job, nor has he prepared or trusted the players that he has out there to do theirs. Playing scared isn't going to win you games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

While Shepherd might be talented he hasn't done anything justifying on playing him over another receiver currently active on game day.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Tremon Smith released today. They are not addressing the core problem.

Yup and claimed running back Tyler Ervin off waivers from Jacksonville.

Don't see much of an upgrade.

In four seasons, he’s averaged 8.3 yards per punt return and 21.1 yards per kickoff return. In six games for Jacksonville this year, he averaged a minuscule 1.8 yards per punt return and 21.4 yards per kickoff return.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Once again, I don't think any returner would put up decent numbers with the blocking of the special teams units.

I think that is a legit excuse on Kickoffs, although I have seen other teams returners do a lot more by using their speed and ability to break returns outside. At this point, unless this new guy or the next guy really shines, I am fine with taking touchbacks and the ball at the 25 and not risk a fumble, penalty or turnover in the hope of getting it past the 25.

On punt returns, I would say that the Packers have decided to play it safe. Possibly they don't think their blocking is good enough or they have no confidence in their returners. I'm leaning towards the latter. There have been several punts this season where a returner called for a fair catch, when in reality he had yards to gain had he not.

The Bottom line for me is that Mennenga has shown absolutely no ingenuity on Special Teams. We see the same old same old every game and the results are pretty bad. If his units finish next to last in almost every category, he needs to be shown the door at the end of the season.

I'm just thankful that we kept Mason Crosby or the Special Teams could have very easily have been considered a complete disaster for the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that is a legit excuse on Kickoffs, although I have seen other teams returners do a lot more by using their speed and ability to break returns outside. At this point, unless this new guy or the next guy really shines, I am fine with taking touchbacks and the ball at the 25 and not risk a fumble, penalty or turnover in the hope of getting it past the 25.

Unfortunately that's not an option as most teams don't kick the ball into the end zone against the Packers on kickoffs anymore.

I'm just thankful that we kept Mason Crosby or the Special Teams could have very easily have been considered a complete disaster for the season.

I still think the money spent on Crosby would have been better used on a veteran inside linebacker.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still think the money spent on Crosby would have been better used on a veteran inside linebacker.

Which veteran ILB would you have signed with just the money that you saved by cutting Crosby?

With the point differential being as slim as it has been this year for the Packers, I am thankful that we have Crosby. Once again, he is proving that a veteran K is usually a better option than risking going with UDFA rookies.

Crosby has made all of his XP's and missed one FG, a meaningless 45 yarder at the end of the Broncos game.

As much as I would have liked better options at ILB, there was money and other ways to address that and cutting Mason Crosby wouldn't have been necessary to do so.

D

Deleted member 6794

Which veteran ILB would you have signed with just the money that you saved by cutting Crosby?

With the point differential being as slim as it has been this year for the Packers, I am thankful that we have Crosby. Once again, he is proving that a veteran K is usually a better option than risking going with UDFA rookies.

Crosby has made all of his XP's and missed one FG, a meaningless 45 yarder at the end of the Broncos game.

As much as I would have liked better options at ILB, there was money and other ways to address that and cutting Mason Crosby wouldn't have been necessary to do so.

I don't want to rehash the situation with Crosby once again but you know that I would have felt more comfortable with spending the money allocated to Crosby on either offense or defense. There's no doubt Mason has been excellent this season, you have to consider that he hasn't been put into many difficult situations as well though.

Members online

Latest posts