1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Fire Shawn Mennenga

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers Fan Forum' started by pacmaniac, Oct 14, 2019.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Carson and Vitale have a combined total of three kickoff returns in college and the NFL. While it might be smart to replace Shephard neither of them is an adequate option for the job.

2. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    Always something to moan about.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. PackAttack12

PackAttack12 R-E-L-A-X

Packer Fan Since:
    There's absolutely no place on this forum for all of this logic.

4. OldSchool101

OldSchool101 Peerless Beer, Lacrosse WI

Packer Fan Since:
    It’s one game bad return game. But the Kicking/Punting/Coverage game was stellar. You have to take the full performance into account to judge the ST leader.

In addition to that. Something I haven’t seen mentioned much is that the temperature was just cold enough to fool people. That ball was slippery. Both the Lions and the Packers had a noticeable increase in drops. Even the announcers were discussing how dangerous it was for the Kickers plant foot due to the sliding around on the field.

Either way, Shepherd best redeem himself. He had a poor showing, but let’s not condemn the entire ST coaching for 1 rookie gaff.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. Zartan

Zartan Lets Go UGF Pandas! Staff Member Moderator

Packer Fan Since:
    I just hope the ST dont kill us with a heartbreaker of some description.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pintsizedbox9

Pintsizedbox9 Cheesehead

7. Nankdatank

Nankdatank Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    If you’ve watched closely, because we have had disasters every team is kicking short to us now waiting for Shepard to fumble.

when we kick, wtf is Crosby not kicking out of the end zone?
    Everyone knows we have bad coverage so they are returning from 8 deep in the end zone.
    It’s the easiest thing to fix in the world but there’s one of these two issues.
    1) Crosby can’t kick it that far, which is not the issue, or
    2) STC is asking him to kick us short to get turnovers.

if it’s #2 he should be told and if not fired.

8. Notso

Notso Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Kick Return has been poor; Kick Coverage has been utterly abysmal. That said, I have more confidence in ST this year than in years past.

It's worth noting the entire ST scheme is brand new. We're willing to accept a few hiccoughs on the Offense because it's new; we should be willing to accept a few on ST as well, as long as we see overall improvement and/or ongoing progress.

9. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Packer Fan Since:
    Finally!?

Looks like Sheppard might be relieved of his duties or at least there is some talk about it.

The Packers are considering a change at kick/punt returner for Sunday at Kansas City, per sources. One possibility is to re-sign Tremon Smith, who was claimed off waivers from the Chiefs on Sept. 17 and played in 3 games before he was released. He's back on the practice squad now, so they would have to make a move by 3 p.m. CT today if he's going to play tomorrow. When asked about Darrius Shepherd's hold on the job this week, ST coach Shawn Mennenga said: "We'll see who's available."

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41082445-4

10. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    At this point he should be replaced on KR because I don’t think he’s that good at them and it’s not really in his skill set to get much better. At least not in my opinion.

And if all were going to do is fair catch and field pints, let Tramon do that again or anyone else that can fair catch it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:
    I think a move many of us anticipated. This could spell the end of Shepherd on the 53, but I think an easy slide to the PS if the Packers still see a future for him.

The Packers are re-signing KR/CB Tremon Smith to the active roster, according a source. They pondered this move last week but instead tried Chandon Sullivan as kick returner while sticking with Darrius Shepherd on punt returns. They will have to make room for him. Smith was on the active roster from Week 3 to Week 5 and has the team's longest return of the year -- a 25-yard kickoff return.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Scotland Yard

Scotland Yard What the hell is going on around here!

Packer Fan Since:
    I'd rather keep WR's Hatcher and Taylor on the PS and forget about Shepherd.

IMO, they need to get an ILB on the PS instead. Ramsey is more an OLB, but, he is a top notch special teams guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:
    I tend to agree on Shepherd. I think the hope with him was he could be a good return guy, thus Davis getting traded away. He showed absolutely nothing returning both kicks and punts, thus his only value would be as a slot receiver, which I don't think he is ready for either.

14. greengold

greengold Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I agree on Ramsey and think he would be of service on STs. He’s got speed and can tackle.

15. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I just wanted my little quick guy in the slot. Maybe I was hoping too much. We'll see if he pans out here or somewhere else in the future. I will also be interested to see if Davis pans out. I would not say he has yet. Though he might. He will have to prove it at receiver position imho. Unless, of course, he sets the world on fire with returns.

16. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:
    All my married friends say THAT!

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Pokerbrat2000

Packer Fan Since:
    For all those posters who like Darrius Shepherd, he cleared waivers and the Packers resigned him to their practice squad. A move I wish they would have made back in September during final cuts. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    That's good news. I have no doubt that the kid needs more time on the shelf to marinate. I think that the game was too big for him in 2019. That could be very different in 2020 or beyond.

To the point of this thread, Sheppard wasn't the real problem. I see sloppy lines and coverage that needs to be fixed fast, or it will be one of the arrows that kills a playoff run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Shepherd didn't show any instincts needed to be a good returner in the NFL though.

20. PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I liked what I saw out of T Smith, but our ST at large was a ratbag yesterday.

Problem is I don't know if firing the coordinator would do much good. Not sure if it's just that these players were coached so poorly under Zook that it's going to take a full season to remedy for Mennenga, or if we just have a GM/scouting problem that isn't adequately addressing the talent problem in this area.

Certainly is a frustration as a Packer fan to see some of the same old problems on ST continue though.

21. melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Is he up there with Slocome yet? He is by far one of the worst ST and I hate to use the phrase coach...

22. OldSchool101

OldSchool101 Peerless Beer, Lacrosse WI

Packer Fan Since:
    True that. You could almost instantly see that
    T. Smith has a better handle on the returning than Shepherd. I’m being a little critical, but Smith had one return where he left at minimum 5+ yards or more on the field (totally understandable for his first game back) But I also give him credit that he understands the concept of not running sideline to sideline to go backwards. Sometimes cutting 3 yards forward is better than 35 yards sideways for a -8 or whatever.
    He made up for that one a few returns later with a nice one and looked much more agile and confident than any returner we’ve had in awhile on just a few looks.

Our ST coach once again doesn’t seem interested in emphasizing discipline. We false started on a Kickoff before the whistle, then on the re-kick we had 2 separate penalties? That’s just total slop. Not to mention the FG where we gave them another look for a quick 7 points. Reckless is the word that comes to mind. There has to be someone better out there to right this shop. I wouldn’t wait until it’s too late, it already cost us one SB.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  23. PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:

What I think you guys are missing though is this

So we seem to have a special teams coordinator problem as you say, but also consider this would be the third in a row. That to me suggests a bigger problem is going on here than simply that. I'd say that problem would be either:

1. As I already mentioned, if this team has scouts or a front office personnel designated to find special teams talent, they're failing in that respect

OR

2. Someone else in 1265 doesn't know how to hire special teams coordinators. If we can't get upgrades on Slocum and Zook, then somebody isn't doing their homework on special teams coaches

So I guess the question would be, is Mennenga specifically handpicked by LaFleur? Or did Mark Murphy or Gute or someone else up there pick him?

• Like Like x 1
  24. gopkrs

gopkrs Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    Well, it sure should be up to MLF now.

25. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Packer Fan Since:
    I was disappointed at the Packers hiring Mennenga when in my opinion there were better options available for the position. Unfortunately he hasn't done anything to make me change my mind.