Fire Shawn Mennenga

D

Deleted member 6794

.They need to cut Sheppard, let Tramon Williams handle punts (they are mostly fair catches anyway these days) and let RB Carson or FB Vitale handle the kickoffs.

Carson and Vitale have a combined total of three kickoff returns in college and the NFL. While it might be smart to replace Shephard neither of them is an adequate option for the job.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don't think there were any ST gaffes against Chicago week 1. Actually, ST was the difference in that game in GB's favor.

Likewise, I don't recall any ST problems week 2 against Minnesota.

Mason Crosby missed a 45 yard field goal at the end of the Denver game, but it was in garbage time and that hardly reflects on the ST coordinator. Not a disaster.

There were multiple issues against Philly. The big return allowed and the KO out of bounds really hurt. No argument there.

There was nothing @ Dallas that I can recall.

Last night, Shepherd's fumble was costly. That's not on the coach. Things can be the player's fault sometimes. Blaming Menenga for that would be like blaming Petals for the pick that bounced off Shep's face.

I count only one game this season where Menenga can fairly bear a lot of blame. It is way too soon to say if he's a good or bad coach. But I am more than ready to declare this thread stupid and ridiculous.
There's absolutely no place on this forum for all of this logic.

Reaction score
It’s one game bad return game. But the Kicking/Punting/Coverage game was stellar. You have to take the full performance into account to judge the ST leader.

In addition to that. Something I haven’t seen mentioned much is that the temperature was just cold enough to fool people. That ball was slippery. Both the Lions and the Packers had a noticeable increase in drops. Even the announcers were discussing how dangerous it was for the Kickers plant foot due to the sliding around on the field.

Either way, Shepherd best redeem himself. He had a poor showing, but let’s not condemn the entire ST coaching for 1 rookie gaff.

Last edited:

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s one game bad return game. But the Kicking/Punting/Coverage game was stellar. You have to take the full performance into account to judge the ST leader.

In addition to that. Something I haven’t seen mentioned much is that the temperature was just cold enough to fool people. That ball was slippery. Both the Lions and the Packers had a noticeable increase in drops. Even the announcers were discussing how dangerous it was for the Kickers plant foot due to the sliding around on the field.

Either way, Shepherd best redeem himself. He had a poor showing, but let’s not condemn the entire PS coaching for 1 rookie gaff.

I just hope the ST dont kill us with a heartbreaker of some description.

D

Deleted member 11740

We’ve had at least one ST disaster almost every week this season.
If you’ve watched closely, because we have had disasters every team is kicking short to us now waiting for Shepard to fumble.

when we kick, wtf is Crosby not kicking out of the end zone?
Everyone knows we have bad coverage so they are returning from 8 deep in the end zone.
It’s the easiest thing to fix in the world but there’s one of these two issues.
1) Crosby can’t kick it that far, which is not the issue, or
2) STC is asking him to kick us short to get turnovers.

if it’s #2 he should be told and if not fired.

Notso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kick Return has been poor; Kick Coverage has been utterly abysmal. That said, I have more confidence in ST this year than in years past.

It's worth noting the entire ST scheme is brand new. We're willing to accept a few hiccoughs on the Offense because it's new; we should be willing to accept a few on ST as well, as long as we see overall improvement and/or ongoing progress.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Finally!?

Looks like Sheppard might be relieved of his duties or at least there is some talk about it.

The Packers are considering a change at kick/punt returner for Sunday at Kansas City, per sources. One possibility is to re-sign Tremon Smith, who was claimed off waivers from the Chiefs on Sept. 17 and played in 3 games before he was released. He's back on the practice squad now, so they would have to make a move by 3 p.m. CT today if he's going to play tomorrow. When asked about Darrius Shepherd's hold on the job this week, ST coach Shawn Mennenga said: "We'll see who's available."

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41082445-4

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point he should be replaced on KR because I don’t think he’s that good at them and it’s not really in his skill set to get much better. At least not in my opinion.

And if all were going to do is fair catch and field pints, let Tramon do that again or anyone else that can fair catch it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think a move many of us anticipated. This could spell the end of Shepherd on the 53, but I think an easy slide to the PS if the Packers still see a future for him.

The Packers are re-signing KR/CB Tremon Smith to the active roster, according a source. They pondered this move last week but instead tried Chandon Sullivan as kick returner while sticking with Darrius Shepherd on punt returns. They will have to make room for him. Smith was on the active roster from Week 3 to Week 5 and has the team's longest return of the year -- a 25-yard kickoff return.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
I think a move many of us anticipated. This could spell the end of Shepherd on the 53, but I think an easy slide to the PS if the Packers still see a future for him.

The Packers are re-signing KR/CB Tremon Smith to the active roster, according a source. They pondered this move last week but instead tried Chandon Sullivan as kick returner while sticking with Darrius Shepherd on punt returns. They will have to make room for him. Smith was on the active roster from Week 3 to Week 5 and has the team's longest return of the year -- a 25-yard kickoff return.

I'd rather keep WR's Hatcher and Taylor on the PS and forget about Shepherd.

IMO, they need to get an ILB on the PS instead. Ramsey is more an OLB, but, he is a top notch special teams guy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

IMO, they need to get an ILB on the PS instead. Ramsey is more an OLB, but, he is a top notch special teams guy.

I tend to agree on Shepherd. I think the hope with him was he could be a good return guy, thus Davis getting traded away. He showed absolutely nothing returning both kicks and punts, thus his only value would be as a slot receiver, which I don't think he is ready for either.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree on Ramsey and think he would be of service on STs. He’s got speed and can tackle.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just wanted my little quick guy in the slot. Maybe I was hoping too much. We'll see if he pans out here or somewhere else in the future. I will also be interested to see if Davis pans out. I would not say he has yet. Though he might. He will have to prove it at receiver position imho. Unless, of course, he sets the world on fire with returns.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For all those posters who like Darrius Shepherd, he cleared waivers and the Packers resigned him to their practice squad. A move I wish they would have made back in September during final cuts. :)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's good news. I have no doubt that the kid needs more time on the shelf to marinate. I think that the game was too big for him in 2019. That could be very different in 2020 or beyond.

To the point of this thread, Sheppard wasn't the real problem. I see sloppy lines and coverage that needs to be fixed fast, or it will be one of the arrows that kills a playoff run.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's good news. I have no doubt that the kid needs more time on the shelf to marinate. I think that the game was too big for him in 2019. That could be very different in 2020 or beyond.

To the point of this thread, Sheppard wasn't the real problem. I see sloppy lines and coverage that needs to be fixed fast, or it will be one of the arrows that kills a playoff run.

Shepherd didn't show any instincts needed to be a good returner in the NFL though.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked what I saw out of T Smith, but our ST at large was a ratbag yesterday.

Problem is I don't know if firing the coordinator would do much good. Not sure if it's just that these players were coached so poorly under Zook that it's going to take a full season to remedy for Mennenga, or if we just have a GM/scouting problem that isn't adequately addressing the talent problem in this area.

Certainly is a frustration as a Packer fan to see some of the same old problems on ST continue though.

Reaction score
I liked what I saw out of T Smith, but our ST at large was a ratbag yesterday.
True that. You could almost instantly see that
T. Smith has a better handle on the returning than Shepherd. I’m being a little critical, but Smith had one return where he left at minimum 5+ yards or more on the field (totally understandable for his first game back) But I also give him credit that he understands the concept of not running sideline to sideline to go backwards. Sometimes cutting 3 yards forward is better than 35 yards sideways for a -8 or whatever.
He made up for that one a few returns later with a nice one and looked much more agile and confident than any returner we’ve had in awhile on just a few looks.

Our ST coach once again doesn’t seem interested in emphasizing discipline. We false started on a Kickoff before the whistle, then on the re-kick we had 2 separate penalties? That’s just total slop. Not to mention the FG where we gave them another look for a quick 7 points. Reckless is the word that comes to mind. There has to be someone better out there to right this shop. I wouldn’t wait until it’s too late, it already cost us one SB.

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he up there with Slocome yet? He is by far one of the worst ST and I hate to use the phrase coach...

Our ST coach once again doesn’t seem interested in emphasizing discipline. We false started on a Kickoff before the whistle, then on the re-kick we had 2 separate penalties? That’s just total slop. Not to mention the FG where we gave them another look for a quick 7 points. Reckless is the word that comes to mind. There has to be someone better out there to right this shop. I wouldn’t wait until it’s too late, it already cost us one SB.

What I think you guys are missing though is this

So we seem to have a special teams coordinator problem as you say, but also consider this would be the third in a row. That to me suggests a bigger problem is going on here than simply that. I'd say that problem would be either:

1. As I already mentioned, if this team has scouts or a front office personnel designated to find special teams talent, they're failing in that respect

OR

2. Someone else in 1265 doesn't know how to hire special teams coordinators. If we can't get upgrades on Slocum and Zook, then somebody isn't doing their homework on special teams coaches

So I guess the question would be, is Mennenga specifically handpicked by LaFleur? Or did Mark Murphy or Gute or someone else up there pick him?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I think you guys are missing though is this

So we seem to have a special teams coordinator problem as you say, but also consider this would be the third in a row. That to me suggests a bigger problem is going on here than simply that. I'd say that problem would be either:

1. As I already mentioned, if this team has scouts or a front office personnel designated to find special teams talent, they're failing in that respect

OR

2. Someone else in 1265 doesn't know how to hire special teams coordinators. If we can't get upgrades on Slocum and Zook, then somebody isn't doing their homework on special teams coaches

So I guess the question would be, is Mennenga specifically handpicked by LaFleur? Or did Mark Murphy or Gute or someone else up there pick him?
Well, it sure should be up to MLF now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Problem is I don't know if firing the coordinator would do much good. Not sure if it's just that these players were coached so poorly under Zook that it's going to take a full season to remedy for Mennenga, or if we just have a GM/scouting problem that isn't adequately addressing the talent problem in this area.

I was disappointed at the Packers hiring Mennenga when in my opinion there were better options available for the position. Unfortunately he hasn't done anything to make me change my mind.

Members online

Latest posts