Fire Shawn Mennenga

GBowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more. Special teams are, and have been, horrible for quite some time. It’s a huge part of the game and we have no blocking scheme or kick returner. It’s pathetic.

OP
OP
P

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should have paid Dolphins ST coach Darren Rizzi what he wanted. Now we’re paying another way.

Calvin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not at the fire point but special teams has been horrible, I'm also not at the its always something, ignoring bad plays because of wins.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Are we sure this actually is Shawn Mennengra and not Ron Zook in a body costume of Shawn Menengra?

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the Special teams coordinator is at fault for Shepard trying to catch the punt like it's a pass? Or the fact that we have no one on our roster will legit return ability? Doesnt even make sense what any of you are trying to say here

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the frustration and wouldn't be sad to see him go. However, Football Outsiders does a special team's ranking with various stats and Green Bay was 14th going into this week. Scott has been amazing. Crosby has only missed one kick. They have just had too many bone headed plays

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst/2019
Our kickers have been ok, punting has been really good, kicking has been pretty good with only a couple short ones an I think an OB kick. I'm not on a fire anyone wagon, it just seems like every game we have some breakdown at some point with kick coverages, or punt returns.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pack is 5-1 and yet it's time to start firing coaches again?

In the epic words of Aaron Rodgers, R-E-L-A-X.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't think there were any ST gaffes against Chicago week 1. Actually, ST was the difference in that game in GB's favor.

Likewise, I don't recall any ST problems week 2 against Minnesota.

Mason Crosby missed a 45 yard field goal at the end of the Denver game, but it was in garbage time and that hardly reflects on the ST coordinator. Not a disaster.

There were multiple issues against Philly. The big return allowed and the KO out of bounds really hurt. No argument there.

There was nothing @ Dallas that I can recall.

Last night, Shepherd's fumble was costly. That's not on the coach. Things can be the player's fault sometimes. Blaming Menenga for that would be like blaming Petals for the pick that bounced off Shep's face.

I count only one game this season where Menenga can fairly bear a lot of blame. It is way too soon to say if he's a good or bad coach. But I am more than ready to declare this thread stupid and ridiculous.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
could be that the Philly week was enough to make it seem like it was every week LOL. Week 1 was a long time ago, I can't be expected to recall that :)

OP
OP
P

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there were any ST gaffes against Chicago week 1. Actually, ST was the difference in that game in GB's favor.

Mason Crosby missed a 45 yard field goal at the end of the Denver game, but it was in garbage time and that hardly reflects on the ST coordinator. Not a disaster.

There were multiple issues against Philly. The big return allowed and the KO out of bounds really hurt. No argument there.

Last night, Shepherd's fumble was costly. That's not on the coach. Things can be the player's fault sometimes. Blaming Menenga for that would be like blaming Petals for the pick that bounced off Shep's face.

I count only one game this season where Menenga can fairly bear a lot of blame. It is way too soon to say if he's a good or bad coach. But I am more than ready to declare this thread stupid and ridiculous.

You forgot this return in the Denver game:
  • (12:20 - 1st) M.Crosby kicks 68 yards from GB 35 to DEN -3. D.Spencer ran ob at GB 43 for 60 yards (T.Smith).
There was also the big return (nullified on a penalty) given up in the Dallas game where Crosby got hurt due to poor ST coverage.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You forgot this return in the Denver game:
  • (12:20 - 1st) M.Crosby kicks 68 yards from GB 35 to DEN -3. D.Spencer ran ob at GB 43 for 60 yards (T.Smith).
There was also the big return (nullified on a penalty) given up in the Dallas game where Crosby got hurt due to poor ST coverage.

Fair enough. Still way too early to be calling for Menenga's job. Sheesh.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was obvious that Detroit was taking considerable advantage of our young return man and **** poor KO blocking last night.

It's bad when even making it to the 20 seems like a huge success.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Gutekunst's decision to keep Sheppard over Lazard on the initial 53 man roster 7 weeks ago is the real headscratcher here. I was furious when it happened and now feel justified.

They decided to keep Sheppard because he could be a returner? Sheppard is awful, even when he catches it. His kickoff returns are some of the worst I've ever seen...teams are now kicking it to the five yd. line because they want Sheppard to return it, they know they can stop him.

They need to cut Sheppard, let Tramon Williams handle punts (they are mostly fair catches anyway these days) and let RB Carson or FB Vitale handle the kickoffs.

If you still hope for Sheppard to pan out some day, no worries. No one would claim him and he could go to the PS.

Not Mennenga's fault in my book. Most of the special teams problems are Gutekunst trusting Sheppard.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutekunst's decision to keep Sheppard over Lazard on the initial 53 man roster 7 weeks ago is the real headscratcher here. I was furious when it happened and now feel justified.

They decided to keep Sheppard because he could be a returner? Sheppard is awful, even when he catches it. His kickoff returns are some of the worst I've ever seen...teams are now kicking it to the five yd. line because they want Sheppard to return it, they know they can stop him.

They need to cut Sheppard, let Tramon Williams handle punts (they are mostly fair catches anyway these days) and let RB Carson or FB Vitale handle the kickoffs.

If you still hope for Sheppard to pan out some day, no worries. No one would claim him and he could go to the PS.

Not Mennenga's fault in my book. Most of the special teams problems are Gutekunst trusting Sheppard.
You seem to have forgotten that Lazard was responsible for 2-3 int's himself by clearly running incorrect routes. Not recognizing zone or man coverage and when to continue to sit in a zone in the preseason. I think that had as much to do with anything. Plus we weren't short on tall WR's, but we had no small and shifty. Shepherd also had some nice returns in the preseason that made a lot of people think they should just cut Davis.

He had a terrible night and Lazard has worked his way up and got his chance due to injury. I'm happy for him. But you can't always keep everyone at cutdowns.

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
You seem to have forgotten that Lazard was responsible for 2-3 int's himself by clearly running incorrect routes. Not recognizing zone or man coverage and when to continue to sit in a zone in the preseason. I think that had as much to do with anything. Plus we weren't short on tall WR's, but we had no small and shifty. Shepherd also had some nice returns in the preseason that made a lot of people think they should just cut Davis.

He had a terrible night and Lazard has worked his way up and got his chance due to injury. I'm happy for him. But you can't always keep everyone at cutdowns.

You conveniently left out the fact that Lazard, just like the unproven QB's (Boyle, Wilkins and Kizer) and everyone else, was learning a new offense with new terminology. Pinning 2-3 int's solely on him is hogwash.

Shepherd is small at 186lbs., but, he doesn't make up for it with speed considering his pro day 40 was 4.57. Shifty? I have yet to see any of that in a real game. Nice returns in preseason against soon-to-be-cut backups on other teams don't count for much as we can now see. Teams are using all kinds of player combinations on returns in preseason and it's all a big mess.

Lazard isn't just tall like Geronimo or Kumerow, he's 6'5" and 227lbs. Lazard actually ran a 4.56 forty at the combine, faster than Shepherd by a hair.

Sure, you can't keep everyone on cutdowns. But, you need to admit a mistake and move on quickly. Shepherd was a mistake, at this point it is clear as day. Hopefully Gutekunst can be like Ron Wolf and pull off the band aid.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You conveniently left out the fact that Lazard, just like the unproven QB's (Boyle, Wilkins and Kizer) and everyone else, was learning a new offense with new terminology. Pinning 2-3 int's solely on him is hogwash.

Shepherd is small at 186lbs., but, he doesn't make up for it with speed considering his pro day 40 was 4.57. Shifty? I have yet to see any of that in a real game. Nice returns in preseason against soon-to-be-cut backups on other teams don't count for much as we can now see. Teams are using all kinds of player combinations on returns in preseason and it's all a big mess.

Lazard isn't just tall like Geronimo or Kumerow, he's 6'5" and 227lbs. Lazard actually ran a 4.56 forty at the combine, faster than Shepherd by a hair.

Sure, you can't keep everyone on cutdowns. But, you need to admit a mistake and move on quickly. Shepherd was a mistake, at this point it is clear as day. Hopefully Gutekunst can be like Ron Wolf and pull off the band aid.
I'm going to leave shepherd out of it, because he's clearly was not ready for last night and i'm not claiming he's some great player.

BUT, lazard was absolutely responsible for those in the preseason and it was talked about then. My only point, there's a reason he was cut at the 53 reduction and brought back to the PS. It wasn't because the situation was how it appeared last night. I'm not conveniently leaving anything out.

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
I'm going to leave shepherd out of it, because he's clearly was not ready for last night and i'm not claiming he's some great player.

BUT, lazard was absolutely responsible for those in the preseason and it was talked about then. My only point, there's a reason he was cut at the 53 reduction and brought back to the PS. It wasn't because the situation was how it appeared last night. I'm not conveniently leaving anything out.

Fair enough. I just had a problem if you're not going cut Lazard any slack for his preseason mistakes, why defend Shepherd now? But, as you've already stated Shepherd has lost your support.

Shepherd needs a year or two on the PS before he's potentially ready for the 53.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to cut Lazard all kinds of slack, especially after last night :)

he's a talented kid, but had stuff to learn. I liked him and thought he had a good shot at the 53 to start. I'm glad he worked his way back to the roster.

Shepherd had work to do too. He wasn't that consistent in preseason and from the writers in practice either. I figured they kept him though because we didn't have anyone else with his build or style. He's not a burner, or tall, just twitchy.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Prater kicked-off one out of bounds, a gaffe that gave Green Bay great field position.

Perhaps Detroit should over-react and fire their ST coach. Or cut Prater.

:roflmao:

Top post is clearly absurd. Moving on.

H

HardRightEdge

Special teams are a messy business. The punter is doing well, the place kicker is doing well, and all those holds and blocks in the back last season on what seems like half the returns are sharply down.

To my eye, the ST play is noticeably improved. It could be better, but citing all those events as "disasters" is a bit of an overstatement.

H

HardRightEdge

Fair enough. I just had a problem if you're not going cut Lazard any slack for his preseason mistakes, why defend Shepherd now? But, as you've already stated Shepherd has lost your support.

Shepherd needs a year or two on the PS before he's potentially ready for the 53.
You can't help but like what Lazard did last night but anybody who says it is what they expected is not telling the truth. Or they say that kind of thing alot and are wrong alot, kinda random.

I'm not jumping on this bandwagon either until we see what he does over the rest of the season.

Members online

Latest posts