Fire McCarthy

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
False. Raiders gon raid.
OK, ignoring the fact I can't understand the gibberish, I noticed this afternoon Woodson was reportedly signed to a one year contract with the Raiders. In my own defense there was no way I was going to know that when I made my post at 5 am. Also, just because he signed doesn't mean he will stick through training camp. I love Sir Charles for all the great moments he has given Packer Nation, but frankly it was a wasted roster spot last season. He is definitely not the same player he was just a few years ago.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worst game he has ever coached. He owes the team and fans an apology at minimum

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Screw an apology. How bout start playing like the game isn't over till it's over. Keep your foot on the opponents neck and run the score up like the Pats do. This loss is like an onion. It has many layers of fail and stink.

wingrider47

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a terrible coaching job but it wasn't just McCarthy, it was the players too. They took their foot off the pedal because they thought they had it won and they paid for their sloppy play at the end of the game. They played 55 minutes of pretty good football considering what they were up against and the last 5 minutes of sloppy crappy play cost them a chance at a super bowl, if you are going to play like that you deserve to lose!

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you go back to the original reason that I started this thread in 2013, it's because it is a ludicrous thought. The guy is a major reason that we got to the championships. There is no reason any rational person would think that he should be fired.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a good coach, has his flaws but everyone does.

The one thing I hope he takes away from this game is to not be so conservative and scared at the end of games. I hope he can be introspective and learn from mistakes, and I hope he at least gets rid of Slocomb... would like to see Capers move on as well.

wingrider47

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a team win or a team lose. They all deserve credit for the lose, winner find a way to win and losers find a way to lose and they found a way to lose this game. Give the Hawks credit, they found a way to win.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a good coach, has his flaws but everyone does.

The one thing I hope he takes away from this game is to not be so conservative and scared at the end of games. I hope he can be introspective and learn from mistakes, and I hope he at least gets rid of Slocomb... would like to see Capers move on as well.
The problem is that the same flaws show up every year and nothing changes. His refusal to get rid of his pals on the coaching staff is grounds to get rid of him too. They cover each other's butts and blame the players for their failure to execute and it's getting really old, as is the media's fawning over the coaching staff and their neglecting to call them out on anything. The last SB we won was by sheer determination of the players, not because of MM. Doesn't anyone remember that after starting out with a big lead we almost choked down the stretch in that one too? It's not fun watching games knowing that we can't relax unless we have a 4+ score lead at a minimum because the coaches are gonna do their best to throw the game away. MM, and even moreso DC, are cut way too much slack!

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never been a big McCarthy fan and wouldn't miss him if he was canned. Of course he won't be since he just signed an extension, but I've never felt like he added that much to the team and have always hated his play calling with close leads.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a team win or a team lose. They all deserve credit for the lose, winner find a way to win and losers find a way to lose and they found a way to lose this game. Give the Hawks credit, they found a way to win.

I'll give you this, that was a great throw by Wilson on that final TD, he couldn't have put it more on the money. Was good D by Tramon on that play.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is that the same flaws show up every year and nothing changes. His refusal to get rid of his pals on the coaching staff is grounds to get rid of him too. They cover each other's butts and blame the players for their failure to execute and it's getting really old, as is the media's fawning over the coaching staff and their neglecting to call them out on anything. The last SB we won was by sheer determination of the players, not because of MM. Doesn't anyone remember that after starting out with a big lead we almost choked down the stretch in that one too? It's not fun watching games knowing that we can't relax unless we have a 4+ score lead at a minimum because the coaches are gonna do their best to throw the game away. MM, and even moreso DC, are cut way too much slack!

MM didn't help win that first Super Bowl? Are you really trying to say that?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't say fire the guy but he doesn't get a free pass and deserves a lot of blame for this horrific finish to the season. Unlike some of
You winning the North isn't the end all fore. I could care less about the North.. Heck we didn't even win the dang north in 2010. The offense is where it has been because of Aaron Rodgers not McCarthy. Ye he calls the plays but how'd that work out when Rodgers got hurt? This offense looked pathetic except the second had of the Dallas game. MM is a solid coach but not great by any stretch of the imagination. People over rate the guy.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously we as spectators don't see a lot of the coaching happening, but when was the last time McCarthy did something to make you think "what a great coach this guy is".

Nothing comes to mind for me except for maybe the Dez Bryant challenge.

I thought we were going to choke the Falcons game earlier this season because the conservative play calling late.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM didn't help win that first Super Bowl? Are you really trying to say that?
No, and I should have worded that better. I'm sure he helped, but the guttiness of the players is what won that one. We saw the same pattern in that game that we continue to see whenever we have a lead. It's the slacking off style of play on both O and D that is so predictable and tiresome. We also had some inexcusable losses in other games that year - to bad teams - at the very end of those games as well, so it is a years-long theme. You would think at some point he would learn from that, wouldn't you?

Sky King

Reaction score
Before yesterday I had a very high level of confidence in McCarthy. I would be lying to you all if I said that my confidence has not been shaken a bit. How could it not? Not that I'm chiming in to call for his immediate firing. I am not. It is just that his professional credibility has taken a hit in my estimation. That's not only because the team he leads has lost a big game. Rather because of how they lost it. As the head man he is rightfully held the most accountable of all. It goes with the territory and his status and pay reflect that reality. Now I have seen what he is not capable of and I'm surprised and disappointed in him and his choices in subordinates (coaches and players). But how does that all fit into the grand scheme of life?

In many professions an epic failure of leadership in critical circumstances would absolutely cost people their jobs and that happens all the time. Successful organizations establish high standards and achieve them through that leadership, not in spite of it. Many leaders would not be given another chance if they had already failed at a crucial moment. It's just how it is, fair or otherwise.

Football has the luxury to be more lenient. This is not life or death. It's only football. People whom we like may be retained as leaders because nobody got killed as the result of anything they had failed to accomplish. The City of Green Bay does not report to the City of Seattle this morning nor fly its flag. Football is entertainment and it affords us the luxury of not really demanding perfection from its leadership, or else. Although we do make that exaggerated proclamation sometimes.

The Packers hierarchy will decide if McCarthy's subordinates will respond to his leadership adequately in the future, as I hope they do at the conclusion of every season. I use the word "adequately" because it all depends upon their definition of that word. Personally, I think Mike McCarthy is safe. IMHO at least one of his subordinates will not be. Depending upon how the latter turns out I will have an even better idea of how the Board of Directors, Mark Murphy, Ted Thompson and even Mike McCarthy himself define adequately.

D

Deleted member 6794

Obviously we as spectators don't see a lot of the coaching happening, but when was the last time McCarthy did something to make you think "what a great coach this guy is".

I thought we were going to choke the Falcons game earlier this season because the conservative play calling late.

For example go back and watch the game vs. the Patriots this season, McCarthy called a great game in that one.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For example go back and watch the game vs. the Patriots this season, McCarthy called a great game in that one.

I'll have to. I guess it's a fault of my own that I don't usually associate the coach with great wins (credit the players), but usually pick apart their decisions in horrible losses. I would guess most of us do.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You mean the game we scored on every single drive but one? (Excluding running out the clock).

Whatever he called in that game worked.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, and I should have worded that better. I'm sure he helped, but the guttiness of the players is what won that one. We saw the same pattern in that game that we continue to see whenever we have a lead. It's the slacking off style of play on both O and D that is so predictable and tiresome. We also had some inexcusable losses in other games that year - to bad teams - at the very end of those games as well, so it is a years-long theme. You would think at some point he would learn from that, wouldn't you?

You would think a fan wouldn't find something to complain about during a year they won the Super Bowl, wouldn't you?

MM clearly did fine that year.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean the game we scored on every single drive but one? (Excluding running out the clock).

Whatever he called in that game worked.

I mean the game that we only won by 6 points after being outscored 30-12 in the second half.

Members online

Latest posts