Fire Mark Murphy?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yep. he has to take some of the blame here. he has allowed blind loyalty to get in the way.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never liked him I know it's tough to replace bob Harlan but Murphy is a sad excuse

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nah. he's been great for the organization. his business plan has kept the Packers a money maker. this is the first year he's adding actual football to his duties. he deserves a chance to make it right again.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't blame Murphy yet. I think I gave him 2019 to see what he and Gut do with the coaching search.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Far as I can tell, Murphy is a lapdog for the NFL offices in NY. (The NFL offices recommended that the Packers hire Murphy, and I believe he is too acquiescent to the NFL corporate hierarchy because of that fact.) So, yes, the board should fire him and hire someone like Bob Harlan who put the Packers' best interests first.

More reasons:

1 - Classless to fire a HC during the season for the 1st time in Packers' history given the fact MM did win a SB and you named a street after him. Murphy could've waited four more games to show proper respect for one of the winning-est coaches in team annals. Total Cleveland Browns move, and believe me, veteran coaches will view it that way and might be wary of coaching for the Mickey Mouse outfit Murphy is running.

2 - TT, the creator of this current shambles of a roster, is still pulling down a paycheck!? You couldn't bring yourself to fire TT, but, MM now gets all the blame?

3 - Russ Ball is still around. IMO, he must have had a hand in convincing the increasingly brain-dead TT that Heyward, Hyde and Peppers were too expensive, but, Nick Perry was worth $15million/season. Decisions like this have handcuffed MM for several seasons now.

So yeah, fire Murphy and Ball, hire a new CEO for business purposes plus a new contract negotiator and hand total control of football coaches and players to GM Gute.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
....and we don't know WHAT we got in Gute. Remember that most of you kids jumped for joy when Ted vacated and he rebuilt a SB Champion... So who can guess what you kids expect.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy just pulled the trigger, so for those thinking he did that whole power structure thing to protect MM, seems more he did that in case a situation like this came up.

Also, Gute's power will be restored to select the next HC I believe.
Murphy fired him because he had no choice.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Far as I can tell, Murphy is a lapdog for the NFL offices in NY. (The NFL offices recommended that the Packers hire Murphy, and I believe he is too acquiescent to the NFL corporate hierarchy because of that fact.) So, yes, the board should fire him and hire someone like Bob Harlan who put the Packers' best interests first.

More reasons:

1 - Classless to fire a HC during the season for the 1st time in Packers' history given the fact MM did win a SB and you named a street after him. Murphy could've waited four more games to show proper respect for one of the winning-est coaches in team annals. Total Cleveland Browns move, and believe me, veteran coaches will view it that way and might be wary of coaching for the Mickey Mouse outfit Murphy is running.

2 - TT, the creator of this current shambles of a roster, is still pulling down a paycheck!? You couldn't bring yourself to fire TT, but, MM now gets all the blame?

3 - Russ Ball is still around. IMO, he must have had a hand in convincing the increasingly brain-dead TT that Heyward, Hyde and Peppers were too expensive, but, Nick Perry was worth $15million/season. Decisions like this have handcuffed MM for several seasons now.

So yeah, fire Murphy and Ball, hire a new CEO for business purposes plus a new contract negotiator and hand total control of football coaches and players to GM Gute.
McCarthy should have fired Capers years before he did. Thompson should have insisted on it. It was both of them’s biggest failure.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score

More reasons:

Sparing McCarthy a month’s worth of rumors, plus the indignity of playing out the string, strikes me as a respectful outcome. It’s OK to do things differently from the way they have always been done. Let him enjoy his Christmas.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Murphy fired him because he had no choice.

While I do not get to attend shareholder meetings to find out if Murphy's fate got put on the line or if he was pressured into this move, I somehow doubt he was in a have no choice situation.

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
Where are you getting that ridiculous idea from?

You don't get an NFL CEO position without credentials, recommendations and connections. I cannot verify anything for you however, so, if you think it is ridiculous you are entitled to your opinion.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't get an NFL CEO position without credentials, recommendations and connections. I cannot verify anything for you however, so, if you think it is ridiculous you are entitled to your opinion.

I can tell you our board answers to shareholders in WI, not to Roger Goodell and his mafia minions.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think he should be fired, I do believe his only football decision should be the hiring and firing of a GM though.

Scotland Yard

Reaction score
I can tell you our board answers to shareholders in WI, not to Roger Goodell and his mafia minions.
You'll get no argument from me about the board, I believe they care about the Packers first and foremost.

However, as far as Murphy is concerned, he has deep ties in the NFL going way back and he had none to Green Bay prior to being hired as CEO. If you do a little digging you will see that it is not ridiculous or inconceivable that his loyalties are with the power structures at NFL corp. offices.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha, the board doesn’t answer to the shareholders, and the shareholders are not involved in football operations.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha, the board doesn’t answer to the shareholders, and the shareholders are not involved in football operations.
Lol, I am with you. I am so sick of people calling themselves shareholders and pretending they have anything to do with the business of the Green Bay Packers.

News flash to all of you “shareholders” your piece of paper has no monetary value of any kind. It is worthless.

Members online

Latest posts