Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assume you want Quinn as head coach as there's no reason to believe he would leave the Cowboys to be a defensive coordinator with another team.

Overall, he didn't have a lot of success with the Falcons, going 43-42 over five plus seasons before being fired and making the playoffs only twice. In addition fans complaining about MLF choking in big games would love the team hiring Quinn as he was the one in charge as Atlanta blew a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl to lose to the Patriots.
I was thinking as DC, but for a higher pay.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Gray has been interviewing a few places for DC positions. IMO, we lose him and keep Barry and this defense gets much worse. that would be a big loss for a good DC, what would it do to us? I shouldn't even ask.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Gray has been interviewing a few places for DC positions. IMO, we lose him and keep Barry and this defense gets much worse. that would be a big loss for a good DC, what would it do to us? I shouldn't even ask.
I wonder how many teams would be interested in trying to pry away Joe Barry from us.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on Chicago, make Barry a Head Coach would ya!
That would be awesome…Playing Chicago, the offense would at least know that the field would be open for easy passes right past the first down marker.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He is at Atlanta now

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A popular choice here, Evero(?), Took the Panthers defensive coordinators job today.

D

Deleted member 6794

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I was to choose which coach I'd prefer, I think I'd go with Gray. On a visual basis, I believe the DBs did play at a higher level as the season progressed, which could indicate that they were deviating from the defense as defined by Barry.

This may be more of a problem than just personalities here. It could indicate some serious problems.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoever is to blame should be gone IMO. Of all the things hanging over this team this offseason, it's the defensive questions that bother me the most. Last year, they were tight on the back half, if someone caught it, they were tackled. They attacked etc. This year for most of it, they were off the receivers, they were lost in coverage for 8 weeks it seemed. Same stuff as before Gray got here. 4 guys doing their jobs and another looking at them with arms up as someone was busting off a huge play over and over again.

Then it seemed to come around a bit at times, more like it was last year again. So who was responsible? If it was Gray, then i'm glad he's gone. But I have this pit in my stomach that tells me it was Barry. I hope i'm wrong or we're in for more disappointing football.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall, I think MLF is a very good offensive coach but I'm starting to think he's going to go down as a poor overall coach because of his refusal to admit Barry is a terrible DC. One or two bad seasons might be a fluke, six terrible seasons is just what you are (especially when you get to play more first and second round picks on defense than any other team in the league).

D

Deleted member 6794

According to NFL Network analytics expert Cynthia Frelund the Packers defense was the fourth most underperforming unit in 2022 based on preseason expectations.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting to read that Gray went somewhat rogue on Barry. Not a good look for either coach IMO.

Rogue?

Lol...

Gary did what was best for him.

They're all grown men.

Gray should've been interim DC after Barry was shown the door during the season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rogue?

Lol...

Gary did what was best for him.

They're all grown men.
Gary? Rashan?

I used the term "rogue", because from the article, it appears that Gray disagreed with what Barry was doing and did his own thing. Yes, while they are both "grown men", my understanding of how coaching works it that the coordinator is at the top of the food chain, he works with his assistants and positional coaches, to put together an overall product. If one of those assistants deviates from the plan and does his own thing, I would call that, going rogue.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm having some trouble with that article. Did he really do his own thing? If so, when and what? when was this reported? They say it in the article that Rob Demovsky says that's what happened, but then they put up a tweet that doesn't say that at all. At least not to me.

Rob says he went out of his way to distance himself from Barry's defense, and that I remember. Someone asked him a question about why something on defense was a certain way and he said, paraphrased, ask Joe, it's his defense. Basically saying, I don't like, but it's what the DC says we have to do.

But I don't remember anything happening or being said he went and did his own thing and other than claim that, this article doesn't really give any proof of it either.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary? Rashan?

I used the term "rogue", because from the article, it appears that Gray disagreed with what Barry was doing and did his own thing. Yes, while they are both "grown men", my understanding of how coaching works it that the coordinator is at the top of the food chain, he works with his assistants and positional coaches, to put together an overall product. If one of those assistants deviates from the plan and does his own thing, I would call that, going rogue.

I was under the impression you were implying that Gary leaving for the Atlanta job was "going rogue".

It appears I was wrong.

As far as in season, one could interpret that sentiment, however I would imagine MLF is at the top of the food chain.

Yes, Gary is a component of the defense...but in his defense, Gary had quality ingredients (DBs) with low quality recipes (Barry's scheme).

Sometimes taking care of your responsibilities exposes others that don't.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was under the impression you were implying that Gary leaving for the Atlanta job was "going rogue".

It appears I was wrong.

As far as in season, one could interpret that sentiment, however I would imagine MLF is at the top of the food chain.

Yes, Gary is a component of the defense...but in his defense, Gary had quality ingredients (DBs) with low quality recipes (Barry's scheme).

Sometimes taking care of your responsibilities exposes others that don't.
I think you are meaning Gray, when you say "Gary"? Oh, I don't blame Gray wanting to move on, one bit. As you point out, that also should have been a signal to MLF that things are not how they should be. You have 11 men on defense and if 4 or 5 of them, are playing a different scheme than the other 7 or 6, you've got problems. Helps to explain some of the inconsistencies we saw from game to game and play to play.

I only saw that one report, quoting Demovsky, but if its true, it really should be made bigger than it has been so far.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I've heard about Gray being the one that changed the defense late in the year, the more I'm concerned with Barry. I changed my opinion. They should have canned Barry but MLF doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to coordinators. MLF is on my hot seat this year.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are meaning Gray, when you say "Gary"? Oh, I don't blame Gray wanting to move on, one bit. As you point out, that also should have been a signal to MLF that things are not how they should be. You have 11 men on defense and if 4 or 5 of them, are playing a different scheme than the other 7 or 6, you've got problems. Helps to explain some of the inconsistencies we saw from game to game and play to play.

I only saw that one report, quoting Demovsky, but if its true, it really should be made bigger than it has been so far.

Yes @Pokerbrat2000 I meant to say Gray.

I think Barry should've been relieved of his duties during the season and especially after losing to the Lions in the season finale.

I don't take too much stock into the article due to the simple fact the main culprits remain on staff and in the building.

From my perspective, Gray tried to keep his mouth via omission in his interviews, and left when his contract was up.

I find it more than coincidental and disingenuous that this article was released after Gray left for Atlanta.

It reads like a smear campaign for someone no longer on staff and it attempts to create "a foil" to Barry's disastrous 2022 season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think Gray actually had the defensive backs doing their own thing but that he went up to Barry to change his scheme accordingly. Overall, it's not a good sign for the defense moving forward though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think Gray actually had the defensive backs doing their own thing but that he went up to Barry to change his scheme accordingly. Overall, it's not a good sign for the defense moving forward though.
I guess that you and I are interpreting what was said in the article differently.

"ESPN’s Rob Demovsky shared that Gray was so against the Joe Barry’s defensive scheme that he started doing his own thing with the defensive backs."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts