Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

We dropped 4 pickable balls. D did not win it for us but I don’t put it on them any more than the O not playing well at key times or Crosby missing a chip shot…. Team loss. I think both the offense AND defense flashed potential that with a few guys back they CAN compete in the post season tournament … gotta get healthy and hot at the right time just like we did in 2010…. Very doable

The offense scoring 31 points on the road should be enough to win a game. That loss was definitely on the defense.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every week teams have injuries… get past them or go home
Sure, every team has injuries and then there are those sutuations where teams are decimated like the Niners last year and the Packers this year. Can this team compete and win against the best teams without Bahktiari. Jenkins, Alexander, Z'darius, Myers, Tonyan and now Jones and Gary? That list has 5 pro bowl level players, not to mention good depth players like Mercilus and additional players that will continue to get hurt since the injury epidemic shows no signs of easing. Trying to describe this situation as just another factor that the team has to overcome is like calling a hurricane just another storm. McCarthy's teams had lots of injuries but nothing like the decimation the top players have experienced. Doubt you can find another example where 5 pro bowl caliber players were all out at the same time.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would say the Packers are showing not just good depth, but pretty good coaching. Ton of injuries? Yes. More than normal? Yes.....but the Packers are 8-3. Some are acting as if they are 3-8.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes the injuries this Season have been devastating! That Bye can’t come soon enough!!

Reaction score
Believe he has acl

I am not sure we get anyone other than Jones and Gary back
So you think they activated Bak just to trick our opponent? I’m confused here as we’ve got Meyers, J’aire, ZaDarius and Bakhtiari without season ending designations. Is it a trick? Because I’m totally fooled :tdown:
If you were to ask me who our top 10 players are in no order I would say: Rodgers, Adams, Jones, Bak, Jenkins, Jaire, Z, Clark, Amos, and Gary. Half of those guys were missing today and one went out in the game. Rodgers has missed a game. Adams has missed a game. Thats not including our depth being taken out at positions all at once like MVS being down with Adams and Lazard out, Mercilus out already down Z and Gary. Jones out when we just lost Hill.
I swear on Grandmothers grave I wrote a post almost verbatim. Then deleted it by accident. I had to relook at this post 3 times to make sense of how it had your name on it?!!
You’re actually one smart cookie :whistling::roflmao:

I think by playoffs at latest, we get back 3-4 of those 6 guys currently out (we now know Jenkins is done). I think we might split J’aire and ZaDarius. I believe 1 of 2 comes back or both do initially and one gets re-injured and pulled out again.
I think Gary is back next week or after the bye.
I think Jones is back 1-2 games after the bye.
I think Baktiari is back <=2-3 contests after the bye (or sooner with our LT status change)
I think 1 of 2 of J’aire or Myers by playoffs and likely both. They’ve already said as much with Meyers

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari was activated several weeks ago but hasn't come close to the field yet. I guess they are being careful and trying to get him into game shape. If he reinjured himself. fans wouldn't be let in on the secret so that may be the case as well.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bakhtiari was activated several weeks ago but hasn't come close to the field yet. I guess they are being careful and trying to get him into game shape. If he reinjured himself. fans wouldn't be let in on the secret so that may be the case as well.
I think he had set back with excess swelling

D

Deleted member 6794

So you think they activated Bak just to trick our opponent? I’m confused here as we’ve got Meyers, J’aire, ZaDarius and Bakhtiari without season ending designations.

There is no such thing as a season ending designation.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be the second week in a row that Bahktiari had to miss practice. That points to a reinjury or his knee never fully healed as a likely reason. If his knee is swelling up, its not a good sign.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sayings like "injuries are no excuse" or "next man up "are all well and good. But at some point, it becomes too much to overcome.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be the second week in a row that Bahktiari had to miss practice. That points to a reinjury or his knee never fully healed as a likely reason. If his knee is swelling up, its not a good sign.

He had arthroscopic knee surgery on his injured knee a couple of weeks ago to clean it up but the team expects him back this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

Non-return tag IR is a designation.

See Khalil Mack

No, it's not. There's only one injury reserve designation this season (just like there was last year) and teams are allowed to activate as many players as they want from it. Mack was placed on the same list MVS was several weeks ago.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No, it's not. There's only one injury reserve designation this season (just like there was last year) and teams are allowed to activate as many players as they want from it. Mack was placed on the same list MVS was several weeks ago.

I really hope that there is some talk by the NFL, after we get out of this Covid mess, to continue the IR the way that it has been this season. I could be wrong, but it appears that injuries, which keep players from playing, have risen over the years. Not sure if that is due to Newton's second law of motion with F = ma or bodies being pushed so far that they break easier. Probably a combination of the two. Whatever it is, the Packers have been able to stay pretty competitive under the new rules. Not so sure they would have pulled that off under the old IR and PS rules.

I know that the original IR rules were such so that teams couldn't stock pile players on the IR. However, I think the Packers this year are a good example of how well the new system works. Before the season started, the Packers were required to be under the cap as well as designate their 53 player roster. Hard to stock pile players with those two limits. Any player that was not on the 53 could be put on IR, but they were done for the season. Then they assembled their Practice Squad, consisting of 20 guys that every other team had a shot at signing. This resulted in going into the season with a more fluid roster of 73 players + any players on PUP.

The cap alone should help prevent "stockpiling" players on the IR, but the rules should also be pretty clear when a player can or can't be placed on IR and the penalties for putting healthy players on it as well.

Reaction score
Tell Matt Nagy that. He might want to know he and the entire Bears organization are obviously not nearly as informed as you are. :whistling:

https://apnews.com/article/nfl-spor...rs-matt-nagy-9c60efd9ca4daa501968352d50e9b477

https://markets.businessinsider.com...on-season-ending-ir-with-foot-injury-10768297

In 2021 there’s a “21 day clock”. Short-term, Long-Term or Season Ending…. call it whatever you want. But you better poop and get off the pot inside the allotted thresholds. The only notable mistake this article makes is that “teams don’t place teams” on IR. “Teams place PLAYERS” on IR. The “short- term” new 3 week designation involves activating a player onto the 53 to avoid seasoning ending IR (that 53 activation part has similarities to pre-2020 rules)

https://985thesportshub.com/listicle/nfl-injured-reserve-rules-2021/

Now that we’re all on the same page…
Barry’s D dropped from 3rd to 8th scoring. Let’s reel her back in buddy.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Tell Matt Nagy that. He might want to know he and the entire Bears organization are obviously not nearly as informed as you are. :whistling:

https://apnews.com/article/nfl-spor...rs-matt-nagy-9c60efd9ca4daa501968352d50e9b477

https://markets.businessinsider.com...on-season-ending-ir-with-foot-injury-10768297

In 2021 there’s a “21 day clock”. Short-term, Long-Term or Season Ending…. call it whatever you want. But you better poop and get off the pot inside the allotted thresholds. The only notable mistake this article makes is that “teams don’t place teams” on IR. “Teams place PLAYERS” on IR. The “short- term” new 3 week designation involves activating a player onto the 53 to avoid seasoning ending IR. If there wasn’t such a term? there wouldn’t a rule to begin with.

https://985thesportshub.com/listicle/nfl-injured-reserve-rules-2021/
With all due respect, Captain was correct and you in a round about way are correct too. ;)

That article is a bit confusing, but "long term IR" in 2021 would have been anyone place on injured reserve before the 53 man roster was declared back in early Sept.. Those players were never eligible to return during the 2021 season.

In 2021, once the season started, a player can be placed on IR and brought back anytime, after he has been out for a minimum of 3 weeks. The 21 days you are talking about, is the time he can start practicing without being on the 53 man roster. Basically, he has a 3 week window to practice and be activated to the 53 man. If not, he is done for the year.

The Bears and a few other teams have said "Player X is on IR and out for the rest of the season", simply to indicate that the injury is one that won't allow that player to return. But if Mack or the Packers Jenkins woke up tomorrow, after a miracle happened, both could still play this season.

Hope that makes sense. Think I have it right, but who knows. :)

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only problem I h e with this defense is when it comes down to stopping anyone at the end of the game they just can’t. It’s been a Rodgers bailout show.

49ers they blow the lead for him to drive down and win. The Bengals game they did the same and Rodgers drove down for Mason to moss the kick. The Cardinals they damn near blew it. Good on Douglas but there was a little luck there. They couldn’t get a stop in KC at the end. Then this week they had 2 different chances to stop the Vikings on their last two drives and gave up go ahead scores in both.

Need to find some way to stop offenses with the game on the line. The Cardinals game is the only example.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have heard or read that a player was put on IR not to return ending his season. Don't know why they would say that. And not sure why a team would do that with the new rules.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have heard or read that a player was put on IR not to return ending his season. Don't know why they would say that. And not sure why a team would do that with the new rules.
Unless I am mistaken, it's just the team stating that due to the nature of the injury, the player will not be able to return. The Packers stated that Elgton Jenkins suffered a season ending injury and was subsequently put on IR. If someone found an overnight miracle fix of a torn ACL, I believe he could return after a minimum of 3 weeks on IR.

Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken, it's just the team stating that due to the nature of the injury, the player will not be able to return. The Packers stated that Elgton Jenkins suffered a season ending injury and was subsequently put on IR. If someone found an overnight miracle fix of a torn ACL, I believe he could return after a minimum of 3 weeks on IR.
Most of what you said is true. Except the part about bringing back players whenever. That’s where Captain is incorrect, yes they loosened the rules but it’s not a free for all either. The team defaults to “season ending” by not activating the player (or not actively holding that status on the 53) so there’s no going back once you do that. Period, and it’s right in the article. Otherwise why would the Senior Staff of all these teams have no real issue making the announcement? We’d find out anyway in a matter of days, so what the point. If you let them ride they must take a spot on the 53 and we both know that no team is going to fill their active roster with players who are deemed season ending.

Anyway. I’m going to start talking about getting players back before I bring more bad mojo
Let’s just hope we start getting some short term IR players back healthy so we don’t have to fire Joe Barry and make him Season Ending too! (I did that for Captain because I knew it’d drive him nuts!):roflmao:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Then they assembled their Practice Squad, consisting of 20 guys that every other team had a shot at signing. This resulted in going into the season with a more fluid roster of 73 players + any players on PUP.

Just for the record, Poker, teams are allowed to have a maximum of 16 players on the practice squad this season.

Once again, there's only a single injured reserve list. Teams announce that a player is done for the season because it's obvious to everyone a player won't be activated based on the severity of the injury.

Except the part about bringing back players whenever. That’s where Captain is incorrect, yes they loosened the rules but it’s not a free for all either. The team defaults to “season ending” by not activating the player (or not actively holding that status on the 53) so there’s no going back once you do that. Period, and it’s right in the article. If you let them ride they must take a spot on the 53 and we both know that no team is going to fill their active roster with players who are deemed season ending.

You obviously have no idea how the rules work.

A player being put on injured reserve doesn't count against the 53 roster limit no matter if the team plans on activating him at some point down the road or has deemed him done for the season.

In addition a team can activitate an unlimited number of players from IR this season.

The only rule in place is that a player being put on IR has to miss a minimum of three games.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully the Packers are not counting on this pipe dream of injured players returning to help the team down the stretch. Hopefully they are counting on and preparing the guys that are actually going to be on the field. Injured players are exactly that, injured players, and they will remain so until they are no longer injured and become active players. To think otherwise only sets you up for failure and gives you excuses for said failure.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hopefully the Packers are not counting on this pipe dream of injured players returning to help the team down the stretch. Hopefully they are counting on and preparing the guys that are actually going to be on the field. Injured players are exactly that, injured players, and they will remain so until they are no longer injured and become active players. To think otherwise only sets you up for failure and gives you excuses for said failure.
I doubt the Packers have a pipe dream for players like Jenkins, Mercilus, Tonyan and any other player that have been lost due to an injury that is known medically not to allow a player to return before Feb.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong with charting the medical progress of players that could possibly be ready to go before the season ends. They did that with MVS and he is back playing. Guys like Alexander and Z Dog very well could be ready to go in Dec.

Not really sure what you mean by "counting on" these players? It isn't like the Packers have sat idle, waiting for any of those guys that might return. They have gone out and signed guys like Douglas and Mercilus to bolster up positions hit by injuries.

Also, one might say that the Packers shouldn't count on current healthy players to stay that way the rest of the season either. Bottom line, you prepare all those who are healthy to play for the next game. You prepare their immediate backups to step in on Sunday, if the starter goes down. You keep your eyes on the health of guys on IR. You keep your eyes on other teams Practice Squads and the waiver wire. Player personnel is an ongoing carousel all season and if all you (Gute) are doing is looking at your current 53 man roster, you aren't doing your job.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Psychologically, it's better for a player to believe he has a shot at getting back on the field sooner than later. If that's what it takes to get them to work their rears off in rehab, it's in the team and player's best interest. If the miracle happens, everyone is happy. If it doesn't, at least the work is being done to set the ground work for full participation when next fall rolls around.

Those who are told they are shutdown until next year are those that would most likely aggravate their injury, making it worse, if they try to rehab before healing takes place. For those who could possibly heal, and regain strength, the hope of hitting the field is like medicine for the psyche. If they believe, their allowed workouts are intense.

Just my opinions based on what I've seen with my association with the game.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt the Packers have a pipe dream for players like Jenkins, Mercilus, Tonyan and any other player that have been lost due to an injury that is known medically not to allow a player to return before Feb.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong with charting the medical progress of players that could possibly be ready to go before the season ends. They did that with MVS and he is back playing. Guys like Alexander and Z Dog very well could be ready to go in Dec.

Not really sure what you mean by "counting on" these players? It isn't like the Packers have sat idle, waiting for any of those guys that might return. They have gone out and signed guys like Douglas and Mercilus to bolster up positions hit by injuries.

Also, one might say that the Packers shouldn't count on current healthy players to stay that way the rest of the season either. Bottom line, you prepare all those who are healthy to play for the next game. You prepare their immediate backups to step in on Sunday, if the starter goes down. You keep your eyes on the health of guys on IR. You keep your eyes on other teams Practice Squads and the waiver wire. Player personnel is an ongoing carousel all season and if all you (Gute) are doing is looking at your current 53 man roster, you aren't doing your job.
Agree. Just want to add that it is good to keep looking at players on other teams practice squads for those positions where we could be in trouble with another injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts