Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with everything except the highlighted.

I only worded it that way is the amount of SBs in that stretch is arguable. SBs are crazy difficult to win. Some would say you cannot assume them at all, some would say in that run four would have been minimum acceptable. Was just trying to give a nod to that all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eagles about to pick up Jim Leonhard as their new DC...smh wtf some of these things the FO fcks up are such no brainers I can't fathom how they manage to out smart themselves...just go get Leonhard. Barry is a career bum, why wouls anyone think that would change
I seem to recall Leonhard turning down a Packer offer for DC after Pettine was canned. I guess Leonhard is steamed he didn't get the full time HC gig after Chryst was fired and wants to go elsewhere, so why not GB? Would certainly prefer Leonhard to Barry. Well, that's not saying much. I'd prefer an eggplant to Barry.

If MLF was all that was standing between Leonhard getting the GB job in favor of Barry...... Well, that better be one helluva defense next season or Barry and MLF can find new gigs.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question is how many games does Barry have to show this defense is better? Will MLF let him wreck the entire season if they continue with a mediocre pass rush and soft coverages?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question is how many games does Barry have to show this defense is better? Will MLF let him wreck the entire season if they continue with a mediocre pass rush and soft coverages?
if the past is any indication, yes, he will allow that. He allowed it with special teams that cost at minimum and play in for the Super Bowl and he allowed it with the defense pretty much all last year. Same stuff, week after week after week. Injuries and circumstances can sometimes explain things, but that side of the ball has too many talented players to perform as poorly as they did on a pretty regular basis last year and at times before that as well.

We can see they can be good, they have played some really good defensive football, but it is nowhere consistent enough to be called good. I don't have much faith he can run a defense adequately. But, i'm guessing he's going to get the entire season to show us once again, he's not the man for the job. But I hope i'm wrong.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I see the corners playing soft one more time I'll ****ing scream. I can't count the number of times on 3rd and 10 or more when the corners would back up to the first down line, pass thrown complete underneath for a first down, or fourth and very short. Does Barry not understand that teams are more willing than ever to go for it on 4th and short?

Be aggressive in those situations. Bump the receiver at the LOS, bring a CB or S on a rush once in a while. It won't always work but it will make life tougher for an opponent. That's the idea, right?

Bringing Barry back was the biggest mistake the Packers made this off season IMO. And not correcting Barry earlier in the season, and then bringing him back in the off season are on MLF. So there is a point of accountability. The HC has to do more than call offensive plays.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope Barry's defense is brilliant, as it probably should be with that much 1st round draft talent, and a good mix of veterans and rookies/younger players.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I see the corners playing soft one more time I'll ****ing scream. I can't count the number of times on 3rd and 10 or more when the corners would back up to the first down line, pass thrown complete underneath for a first down, or fourth and very short. Does Barry not understand that teams are more willing than ever to go for it on 4th and short?

Be aggressive in those situations. Bump the receiver at the LOS, bring a CB or S on a rush once in a while. It won't always work but it will make life tougher for an opponent. That's the idea, right?

Bringing Barry back was the biggest mistake the Packers made this off season IMO. And not correcting Barry earlier in the season, and then bringing him back in the off season are on MLF. So there is a point of accountability. The HC has to do more than call offensive plays.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope Barry's defense is brilliant, as it probably should be with that much 1st round draft talent, and a good mix of veterans and rookies/younger players.

My only hope is that the tension between and Barry and Gray (which from reports led to more aggressive man coverage) was the source of the poor performance.

Yes, I am of the opinion that we have better man corners than zone corners (though there is also evidence that is wrong) having a DB coach (potentially) undermining the DC during the week isn't going to lend itself to a proper team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My only hope is that the tension between and Barry and Gray (which from reports led to more aggressive man coverage) was the source of the poor performance.

Yes, I am of the opinion that we have better man corners than zone corners (though there is also evidence that is wrong) having a DB coach (potentially) undermining the DC during the week isn't going to lend itself to a proper team.
Overall, I haven't really been too excited about some of the Packers DB coaches in the last 5 or so years. Started with Joe Whitt Jr., then Jason Simmons and finally Jerry Gray. All 3 of those guys were promoted within the Packers system and then when they got to the top, they didn't last long at all. I am hopeful that Greg Williams will finally bring a fresh and good approach in his first year with the Packers.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting stat from that article: The Packers under four years of MLF are 31st against the run. You're right, it doesn't get much worse than that.

My guess is yes.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a couple of thoughts on this. If the team is clearly not going to make the playoffs, no change no matter what the defense is doing. If they are bad it helps the Poker philosophy of losing meaningless games for a better draft position. The concentration will be on the hopeful improvement of Love and the offense as a whole. If they manage to stay in playoff contention even with the D underachieving I could see Gute putting some pressure on MLF to make a change. Let's be honest, a Love led team making the playoffs in year 1 takes a lot of pressure (deserved or not) off of Gute. All of the above thoughts are my opinion.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With 338 lb Ford & 330 lb Slaton there's absolutely no reason the DL should get pushed around. Early downs at least one should be plugging the middle. Goal line both should be over the center. If I'm MLF I'd give Barry 4 games maximum to show significant improvement of the D (compared to '22 averages) OR Barry is gone.

No reason why both Love & a new DC can't grow together in '23 and be playoff ready for '24.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if the past is any indication, yes, he will allow that. He allowed it with special teams that cost at minimum and play in for the Super Bowl and he allowed it with the defense pretty much all last year. Same stuff, week after week after week. Injuries and circumstances can sometimes explain things, but that side of the ball has too many talented players to perform as poorly as they did on a pretty regular basis last year and at times before that as well.

We can see they can be good, they have played some really good defensive football, but it is nowhere consistent enough to be called good. I don't have much faith he can run a defense adequately. But, i'm guessing he's going to get the entire season to show us once again, he's not the man for the job. But I hope i'm wrong.
I hope you are wrong as well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With 338 lb Ford & 330 lb Slaton there's absolutely no reason the DL should get pushed around. Early downs at least one should be plugging the middle. Goal line both should be over the center. If I'm MLF I'd give Barry 4 games maximum to show significant improvement of the D (compared to '22 averages) OR Barry is gone.

No reason why both Love & a new DC can't grow together in '23 and be playoff ready for '24.
I’d much rather MLF fired Barry last year. He’ll be given most if not all of this year. Not much gained by firing a coordinator mid season, unless there is a promising assistant in the wings.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a couple of thoughts on this. If the team is clearly not going to make the playoffs, no change no matter what the defense is doing. If they are bad it helps the Poker philosophy of losing meaningless games for a better draft position. The concentration will be on the hopeful improvement of Love and the offense as a whole. If they manage to stay in playoff contention even with the D underachieving I could see Gute putting some pressure on MLF to make a change. Let's be honest, a Love led team making the playoffs in year 1 takes a lot of pressure (deserved or not) off of Gute. All of the above thoughts are my opinion.

If the Packers lose naturally, meaning they remain competitive and lose close games...I wouldn't mind a bid for a top 5 draft pick. Marvin Harrison Jr. in Green n Gold could be a possibility or any blue chip prospect. This upcoming season is full of uncertainty.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The man shoudlve been shown the door already.
I agree and squarely blame MLF for mismanaging his coaching staff and placing more emphasis on continuity than performance. Coaches should be evaluated like players and by those standards, I see no good reason why Barry is the DC. If Barry stinks it up again, perhaps MLF and Barry will be riding out of town together.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If they are bad it helps the Poker philosophy of losing meaningless games for a better draft position.
Wait, what? No TIC?

I wasn't going to start my mantra too early, but yes, if the season is going South fast ....I absolutely love Marvin Harrison Jr. and if Love isn't what they thought he was, Caleb Williams.

I don't think its any secret that the Packers are young on offense and still trying to figure out how to get the defense to play consistently well. If 2023 ends up being a developing and learning year, so be it. If that is the case, I would rather see the Packers using top 5 picks in every round of the 2024 draft to help move that rebuild a bit faster, than to "almost make the playoffs".

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I’m case anyone needed to look forward to the upcoming season, just a little pick me up for your reading pleasure.

I expect our defense to be better this year. There really isn’t any place to go but up

Man, I knew it was bad. I didn't know it was that bad. It's possible that I even could run on that defense. Pretty boy MLF better get his big boy pants on and motivate some guys to play some run defense. Good greif!

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole shebang points directly at Barry, and to a smaller degree - his boss. Lets be real and just admit that Barry has never done well. Another cheerleader. Fritz Shurmur is somewhere screaming to put a stop to this incompetence. How hard would it have been to hire Leonhard and kept the scheme and let him roll w it minus zone on 3rd downs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From reports, Leonard didn’t want the job, so they hired Barry.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leonhard turned down the Packer DC job. Perhaps he thought he was going to eventually coach the Badgers. That didn't happen so it would be a good idea for someone in the Packer organization to quietly talk to Jim Leanhard again to see if he might want the job if Barry can't turn it around.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, Fritz Shurmur. Sometimes I forget we've actually had decent defensive coordinators before.
Fritz was good and used his players well. I never liked it when he tried those 3 man rushes as he did when Owens caught that one from Steve Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts