Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that you and I are interpreting what was said in the article differently.

"ESPN’s Rob Demovsky shared that Gray was so against the Joe Barry’s defensive scheme that he started doing his own thing with the defensive backs."
but the tweet they then provide of Demovsky's words do not say that at all. The tweet they used for their "source" relates to an incident I remember where they asked what was going on and he basically said ask Joe, it's his defense.

if that's their "source" they have a far different interpretation of what it meant than I do. If they have a different source that says something different, why not use it in the story?

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess that you and I are interpreting what was said in the article differently.

"ESPN’s Rob Demovsky shared that Gray was so against the Joe Barry’s defensive scheme that he started doing his own thing with the defensive backs."

I'm not interpreting what was said in the article at all, I didn't even read it. My point is that no defensive coordinator would allow a position coach to do his own thing with his players. Period.

They might have argued about how to best use the defensive backs but I guarantee Gray wasn't running a different scheme than Barry agreed to during games.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm not interpreting what was said in the article at all, I didn't even read it. My point is that no defensive coordinator would allow a position coach to do his own thing with his players. Period.
You would think right? Sometimes people may surprise you and do things in a way that you wouldn't agree with.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But where is the PROOF this happened. the article says Rob said that, but in their proof/evidence, he didn't say that at all.

So while what people might do won't surprise me, in the lack of evidence in this case vs what they provided and what I know happened. I'm chalking this one up to lousy journalism, again.

D

Deleted member 6794

You would think right? Sometimes people may surprise you and do things in a way that you wouldn't agree with.

Do you honestly believe an NFL defensive coordinator would allow a position coach to undermine his scheme?

While that might happen in one game I would expect that guy to be fired immediately afterwards. Otherwise the DC needs to be let go.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eagles about to pick up Jim Leonhard as their new DC...smh wtf some of these things the FO fcks up are such no brainers I can't fathom how they manage to out smart themselves...just go get Leonhard. Barry is a career bum, why wouls anyone think that would change

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eagles about to pick up Jim Leonhard as their new DC...smh wtf some of these things the FO fcks up are such no brainers I can't fathom how they manage to out smart themselves...just go get Leonhard. Barry is a career bum, why wouls anyone think that would change
Anytime a team may move in from a HOF career at QB, it’s obviously going to be a big deal, but I can’t help but think retaining Barry and keeping that status quo is just as big of a deal and detrimental to the next season.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anytime a team may move in from a HOF career at QB, it’s obviously going to be a big deal, but I can’t help but think retaining Barry and keeping that status quo is just as big of a deal and detrimental to the next season.

I think you might be right. Leonhard is the exact type of up and coming, young, creative coach you want leading your defense if you're gonna put a first year startrer out there and youre expecting to be leaning on the defense quite a bit more than you have in the past

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF has stated after the season he valued consistency at the coaching positions. In other words, performance isn't at the top of the list. If performance mattered, Barry would be gone and Leonhard or somebody else would be the DC. Can't imagine the players aren't perfectly aware of the cronyism.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF has stated after the season he valued consistency at the coaching positions. In other words, performance isn't at the top of the list. If performance mattered, Barry would be gone and Leonhard or somebody else would be the DC. Can't imagine the players aren't perfectly aware of the cronyism.
Well I wish he would take his friends (the other coaches) and be consistent somewhere else. I really wanted to like Lefleur, but he is too passive … too nice of a guy to be a head coach.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just to clarify, it doesn't seem as if Leonhard is the favorite to land the gig with the Eagles.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I wish he would take his friends (the other coaches) and be consistent somewhere else. I really wanted to like Lefleur, but he is too passive … too nice of a guy to be a head coach.
It does seem he needs to develop a bit of an edge. Not that every coach has to be the same. Nice guys can win, but they also need to be decisive and while the nice guy might be 90% of the time, they need that edge at least some times. I believe this is one of them. Should have shown it last year with special teams. **** Vermeil was a nice guy, not a yeller, not a screamer, wore emotions on his sleeve many times, but when he needed to be he could be as sharp as anyone and proof, nice guys can finish first.

As always, I reserve the right to be wrong. I hope the defense surprises the **** out of me all season long right to a super bowl victory. But if we are all over the place again, talent obvious and production spotty to crap IMO the entire staff needs to be shown the door. I'm ok with mistakes. But you gotta learn from them. 2021 was a teaching moment. 2022 seemed to be the same and we're heading into 2023 seemingly learning nothing.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was pretty excited when the Packers hired LaFleur.
It was time for the Packers to move on after McCarthy and LaFleur seemed like a good young coach.
His first two years I felt comfortable with him driving the bus.
I'd watch "Total Packers with Matt LaFleur" every week throughout his tenure.
In his third year on the show I noticed a definite change in MLF. He seemed depressed and beaten down and that's when I started losing my faith in him.
This past season I was really disturbed by his demeanor again.
I hope now that Rodgers will be gone and MLF will rediscover his zest for coaching.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF sure seems to have a problem with going too long with known failures. because he doesn't understand risk. That was the case in 2020 with Kevin King and 2021 with the disasterous special teams. There comes a time when you have to make a change, even when the replacement may seem overmatched. The NFL is rife with cases of guys that surprise you and come out of nowhere and rise to the occasion. My fear is that 2023 will be wrecked by the continued underperforming defense. The risk is low replacing Barry. It would be difficult to find someone worse IMO. Same thing with Kevin King in the championship game. When replacing a guy either gives you the status quo or an improvement, the risk of making the change is low and needs to be done.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Consistency at being bad is not a good thing.

Same thing with Kevin King in the championship game. When replacing a guy either gives you the status quo or an improvement, the risk of making the change is low and needs to be done.
Truly one of the puzzling moves was signing Tramon Williams before the NFCCG, and never playing him.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you honestly believe an NFL defensive coordinator would allow a position coach to undermine his scheme?

While that might happen in one game I would expect that guy to be fired immediately afterwards. Otherwise the DC needs to be let go.
if he calls zone constantly yes, and that is exactly what we saw a LOT. Anyone that cheerleads guys like Lowry need to be sent packing.

D

Deleted member 6794

if he calls zone constantly yes, and that is exactly what we saw a LOT. Anyone that cheerleads guys like Lowry need to be sent packing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting Barry did a great job but that he wouldn't allow a position coach to undermine his scheme.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't help but think the Packers, despite having a lot of young talent, are losing ground in the division to the Lions snd Vikings. Minnesota canned Ed Donatell after he was uterly inept as their DC. The Packers, on the other hand are sticking with a DC that has never shown the ability to consistently get the job done.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I can't help but think the Packers, despite having a lot of young talent, are losing ground in the division to the Lions snd Vikings. Minnesota canned Ed Donatell after he was uterly inept as their DC. The Packers, on the other hand are sticking with a DC that has never shown the ability to consistently get the job done.
The ebs and flows of the NFL, its divisions and competitive parity. The Packers had it good for many years, at least in their division, but couldn't get past the better teams from other divisions. I do love the NFL salary cap and revenue sharing to maintain the parity. Without them, the Packers would just be like the Brewers are in MLB, just too small of a market to compete against the much larger market teams. I guess what I am saying is that I don't mind seeing the ups and downs of the Packers in the North, means the system is working. The Packers had their chances to be a dominant team for awhile, but the salary cap and other factors, may now make them watch from the middle of the pack for awhile.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair they have been dominant for a long while. My entire life outside of injuries to Rodgers or Favre playoffs are always connected with them.

They simply didn’t win the big game enough arguably in there.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair they have been dominant for a long while. My entire life outside of injuries to Rodgers or Favre playoffs are always connected with them.

They simply didn’t win the big game enough arguably in there.

Agree with everything except the highlighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts