Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slaton only played 16 snaps ~ by the 2nd series he should've been in there plugging the middle. Inexcusable to stay with Lancaster & Lowry as neither got any push on pass plays AND they did nothing to stop the run, either.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one consistency I see in the Packer defense over the years is that they don't tackle very well. A guy like Kamara is just going to kill a defense like that. Remember the play where he broke like 8 tackle attempts against GB? Wow was that embarrassing. Well not quite as embarrassing as yesterday.

Reaction score
The one consistency I see in the Packer defense over the years is that they don't tackle very well. A guy like Kamara is just going to kill a defense like that. Remember the play where he broke like 8 tackle attempts against GB? Wow was that embarrassing. Well not quite as embarrassing as yesterday.
I remember it well. I noticed that Kamara TD run everyone just sat around the goal line waiting for him. We had 3 Defenders who could’ve gotten proactive and met him before he reached the 3 yard line. Dean Lowry was caught laying a poop at the goal line. He looked like he was on the pot and wiping himself before he could move forward. Talk about complacency, he made Martinez look downhill aggressive.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Closest thing would be Slowik in 2004. That guy was a total putz and Mike Sherman was fukn dumb to hire him. Barry is at least that bad if not worse.
Slowik was lost in space. Came from the Bears. Sherman was foolish to replace Donnatell. When Slowik went up against Peyton Manning it looked like a sand lot game.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have a lot of talented players on defense. Unfortunately they lack talent on the defensive line and the Saints took full advantage of it.
I agree about our D line. The back 7 is pretty much average. How many Pro Bowlers are on it? One?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry for bringing this up but how is the defensive problem fully the result of bad coaching? From what I have seen, no matter who the d coach is, the players appear to be lost and confused and uneager to play balls out. Just like #12, I will give them a bit of a pass today for virtually no preseason action and the hot conditions. But next week better be totally different or there will be no fixing it.
I do not think you can fix this in one week even if we play the Jaguars or the Jets the rest of the season.

Reaction score
I agree about our D line. The back 7 is pretty much average. How many Pro Bowlers are on it? One?
Amos is pretty stout and Clark upfront also. But we’re still 1 stellar DL short of turning the tide. Unless someone steps into the limelight are going to bask in D mediocrity another season or two.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slowik was lost in space. Came from the Bears. Sherman was foolish to replace Donnatell. When Slowik went up against Peyton Manning it looked like a sand lot game.

Well I mean, it feels almost like deja vu with Mike Pettine.

I mean, Donnatell had a few blunders like that blown lead against KC and of course that bad 4th and 26 play. Firing him wasn't the worst call, it was replacing him.

Just like I don't like Pettine because he was mostly Donnatell level average and of course gave up that hail Mary last year. But if this clown Barry was truly the best we could do this year, we should have just kept Pettine for now and waited one more year till we could get someone better. But damn yeah Slowik and Barry are cut from the same cloth.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amos is pretty stout and Clark upfront also. But we’re still 1 stellar DL short of turning the tide. Unless someone steps into the limelight are going to bask in D mediocrity another season or two.

And people wonder why I wanted Lancaster dumped for Benkert on the roster. Dump him and give Slaton all his reps

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Donnatell got burned by KC. But it was a Favre INT that let them back in and an Ahman Green fumble that handed them the win. And despite the 4th and 26 that day they sacked McNabb like 11 times. It was our offense not punching it in inside the 10 and the 5 and Sherman opting to punt when the Eagles defense was gashed from our running game. And the Favre throwing up a prayer for an INT in OT.

I mean, Donnatell had a few blunders like that blown lead against KC and of course that bad 4th and 26 play. Firing him wasn't the worst call, it was replacing him.

Just like I don't like Pettine because he was mostly Donnatell level average and of course gave up that hail Mary last year. But if this clown Barry was truly the best we could do this year, we should have just kept Pettine for now and waited one more year till we could get someone better. But damn yeah Slowik and Barry are cut from the same cloth.

Reaction score
And people wonder why I wanted Lancaster dumped for Benkert on the roster. Dump him and give Slaton all his reps
I was thinking more along the lines of an upgrade at DL. Nothing personal but Slaton likely needs some time to develop.

I’m talking a trade deal mid season with a team who is statistically out of the playoffs and a veteran player in a contract year. Maybe throw a draft selection to get some veteran help upfront.

Obviously we had financial constraints. However we did very little if anything to upgrade our Defense from a talent perspective this season (Stokes and we can’t expect immediate high production) A mid season acquisition would allow us to only absorb a fraction of their salary, which makes it doable to get a reliable veteran defender (Brandon Graham, Linval Joseph etc..)

Last edited:

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B*****D !!! , thought I'd be the first to start this thread .... How can they be even worse than last season ??? That's some SPECIAL coaching.

The Packer defense was ranked 12th in 2020. They are not going to sniff that this year.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember it well. I noticed that Kamara TD run everyone just sat around the goal line waiting for him. We had 3 Defenders who could’ve gotten proactive and met him before he reached the 3 yard line. Dean Lowry was caught laying a poop at the goal line. He looked like he was on the pot and wiping himself before he could move forward. Talk about complacency, he made Martinez look downhill aggressive.
I guess you can talk **** w/o it getting x out.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When will this organization learn to promote talent? Slaton not on the field, Stokes not on the field. The defense gasping for air and getting tuned for 38 points when we needed a turnover or ANYTHING POSITIVE to happen...

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya damn right I'm on it. This guy was awful in track record coming in here and is a big clown so far!!!

Enough hiring dud DCs. This guy is worse than Capers!!!
No wonder Leonard stayed with Wisconsin and turned down the job! He probably took one look at all the crappy defensive players including King and said no thanks!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No wonder Leonard stayed with Wisconsin and turned down the job! He probably took one look at all the crappy defensive players including King and said no thanks!
More likely he knew he was close to the head job in WI, his dream job. A place where longevity is high and stress lower than the pro ranks. His job in college will be tied to him. Join a pro rank and GM changes, HC changes, etc can leave you moving city to city every couple years. I don't think he wants that.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His dumb *** should be booted outta here by 5 PM! Enough is enough! Just kick him outta here, promote Jerry Gray to interim DC and ride it out till 2022. Then go out and get a real DC.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When will this organization learn to promote talent? Slaton not on the field, Stokes not on the field. The defense gasping for air and getting tuned for 38 points when we needed a turnover or ANYTHING POSITIVE to happen...

I get the Slaton comment but have we seen anything to show that Stokes is ready to be on the field consistently? Sure, he's SUPER fast, but he also grabs a lot and giving up "illegal contact" routinely is not a good look. He's a guy that was always going to take time to develop and the Packers made this bed when they passed on drafting a potential replacement for King in 2019 or 2020 and spent their free agency money on Aaron Jones rather than a replacement for King.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All high round draft pick rookies must be on the field. Every single other team does it and LaFleur and Barry need to get pounded by the media for not doing it.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More likely he knew he was close to the head job in WI, his dream job. A place where longevity is high and stress lower than the pro ranks. His job in college will be tied to him. Join a pro rank and GM changes, HC changes, etc can leave you moving city to city every couple years. I don't think he wants that.
I think you are right. And Leonard will be a great Badger Head Coach in the very near future. Who needs the grief of the NFL anyway! Go Bucky!!!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cuz I'm pretty sure the coaches decide who plays and who sits

This only makes sense of you think the coaches are intentionally playing worse players. The more likely scenario is that the guys they have aren't good enough to beat out the guys playing, which would be on Gute.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This only makes sense of you think the coaches are intentionally playing worse players. The more likely scenario is that the guys they have aren't good enough to beat out the guys playing, which would be on Gute.

My theory is that this franchise places a lot of importance on veteran experience. Hence why King is playing over, theoretically his replacement in Stokes. At this point, I'd rather Stokes trial by fire than continue to watch King get destroyed or make stupid error after stupid error. We know what King can bring, it can't be any worse with Stokes who may make a mistake, but has the speed like Shields did, to make up for it or to make a play. Put King in the slot and have him cover TE's or run block. He's got no upside out on the perimeter anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts