Fire Joe Barry -- Updated -- he's gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This game doesn't prove that Barry is great anymore than the first couple weeks proved that he sucked. People are going to be clinging to their priors.

But where you're at, you have to admit that he did something that Pettine could never do in handling Shanahan's offense. The Packers strung out their run game effectively in a way that you absolutely never saw under Pettine. The DL was playing really well as a whole.

TEXPAC2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe they will continue to get better as they get used to the new system. He deserves the same chance as anyone else. At lease a whole season to see…….

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So the defense by 49ers drive:

1) 5 plays, 16 yards, PUNT

2) 3 plays, 9 yards, PUNT

3) 1 play, 0 yards, INTERCEPTION

4) 10 plays, 42 yards, PUNT

5) 8 plays, 32 yards, TOUCHDOWN*

6) 13 plays, 83 yards, TOUCHDOWN

7) 3 plays, 7 yards, PUNT

8) 9 plays, 81 yards, TOUCHDOWN**

9) 5 plays, 15 yards, FUMBLE

10) 8 plays, 75 yards, TOUCHDOWN

*The first TD drive is on the special teams, not the defense. Even at that, the 49ers only got into the EZ because of one of the many trash calls of the night.

**This score is bogus. It should have been a three and out punt on 4th & 14 from their own 15 but for the other major trash DPI call.

The defense gave up 14 legitimate points on the entire night, on the road. Pretty nice showing.

Reaction score
As a side note, while Rodgers went 6-10 during his first season as a starter the Packers ranked fifth in points scored that year. They struggled because of their defense. Sounds familiar
That’s because Joe wasn’t there. :whistling:

GARYELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where is PackerFaninCarolina now? I'd like for him to explain to me how this Packer defense is doing this while having such a horrible coach.
I’ll put my hands up too , I was second to post on this thread and thought the first six games of the season proved me right. I’m eating humble pie now as the defence has been consistently good over the last four games and last night’s shutout against the sh’hawks was a thing to behold:tup:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Ryan is a solid defensive coordinator. Has done a good job convincing the players that they had more to offer than they did under Capers. His schemes are better, and his usage of individuals under specific circumstances is a vast improvement. I wasn't sold on him day one, but didn't think the first game of the season was an indictment against him. If it was, the whole team would have been on waivers. They just weren't ready to start the season.

Over the last 3 games, this defense has held Kyler Murray, Patrick Mahomes, and Russ Wilson, to 1 TD, and only about 600 yards passing. I don't know how many units in the NFL can match that at this point of the season. It's kind of incredible.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where is PackerFaninCarolina now? I'd like for him to explain to me how this Packer defense is doing this while having such a horrible coach.
That is like asking how we have record cold temperatures while we undergo global warming.

Reaction score
Why. This Defense is so good.. that I expect them to score at least -2 points through a Safety this time and hold the Vikings to zippo!

This Defense is so good.. they’re changing the scheme to a 2-2-2 and sending the other 5 to Jamaica mon.and changing team colors toSwag Green and Jamaican Gold. Then scoring extra points for extra Kush
Just don’t tell Z and Gary.. they might never come back!

X………… X
……X.X….
X………….X

(The new Barry formation)

Last edited:

Packermudgeon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without Gary and Merciless, I'm not expecting the same defense this week. If you give him all day, just about
any QB will make you pay. As good as our secondary has been playing, they can only cover guys for so long.

Reaction score
Without Gary and Merciless, I'm not expecting the same defense this week. If you give him all day, just about
any QB will make you pay. As good as our secondary has been playing, they can only cover guys for so long.
That may be true. You never want to lose good starters. However this D is good enough to spread the duties and still play effectively. One thing that helpful is we’ve been playing more nickel and some dime mixed in.
Plus we have Lowry and Keke
(off concussion protocol) Kenny, Slaton and Preston. We might take a small step backwards. But some schematic emphasis on other strengths and we should be fine.
Our Offense needs to step it up a notch. I’m not necessarily asking for 35+ points, but it’s time to start finishing drives with 7 points.

If I could add that Winning @Minnesota all but statistically eliminates the Vikings. They likely can’t unbury themselves from 4-6 this late in season. The Vikings did a nice job against a good Chargers team. However, this game will decide if the playoffs are in the cards this season for the Little Apple.
This is a must win for them and we’d better come with extra sauce. A country boy once told me that “hunger was the best special sauce”. That statement, however comical, is profound.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That may be true. But sometimes you’ll find that replacement guys coming in that are looking to prove their worth will play with lots of emotion.
Kingsley Keke is back at practice from Concussion protocol and that’s really good timing.
Kenny and Lowry have both been playing really well and Lowry is back (as of last week) from a hamstring. I think he’s fully healed by next Sunday in his 2nd week back from injury.
TJ Slaton has been playing good in limited snaps and I expect him to get an increase in snaps similar to @KC where he had 45.
We still have Preston rushing from outside and we’ve been playing lots of 5+ DB looks anyway.
I also noticed they’ve been bringing Savage up to attack the LOS area more and I wouldn’t be surprised to see us being a few LB or DB blitzes

I mean if we need to rest Gary for a week two or three having three interior guys who can get after a QB helps.

In pass rushing theres a Russian Roulette like nature to it. The more guys you have out there on a given play who can generate a pressure or get a sack and the more likely that someone manages to on any given play. With those three you have big physical guys who tend to drive their blockers back into the quarterback and shrink the pocket.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I mean if we need to rest Gary for a week two or three having three interior guys who can get after a QB helps.

In pass rushing theres a Russian Roulette like nature to it. The more guys you have out there on a given play who can generate a pressure or get a sack and the more likely that someone manages to on any given play. With those three you
This bye week can’t get here fast enough. If we can manage to squeak Wins these next 2 games? We’re in primo shape going down the straightaway.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lat year Dalvin Cook made the Packers run D look like a H.S JV team. Whatever the scheme is they have to find a way to stop the run. We made need 35.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lat year Dalvin Cook made the Packers run D look like a H.S JV team. Whatever the scheme is they have to find a way to stop the run. We made need 35.
That was on Pettines stupid ***. He just kept running light boxes trying to keep from getting beat over the top even though it was an insanely windy game. Also some blame to be laid at Gutey feet for a lack of LB and DT talent. Now we have Barry who really puts an emphasis on stopping the run while Gute has gone out and gotten some real talent at ILB and strengthened what we have at DT.

Dalvin is an elite talent still but I trust this defense to stop the run. My concern is pass rush this week with Gary beat up even if he plays and not much behind him. Garvin is ok but still developing. Outside of that what else do we have? Mercilus was that guy but hes gone now.

D

Deleted member 6794

If I could add that Winning @Minnesota all but statistically eliminates the Vikings. They likely can’t unbury themselves from 4-6 this late in season.

A Packers win all but guarantees the Vikings won't win the division but with them currently being only a half game out a playoff spot it hardly eliminates them from contention.

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant remember which thread I posted my anger for the Barry hire, I am here to eat crow. As a Packer fan that has been starving for a defense for 10 years, at this point, I am excited and looking forward to each game on the D side. It's hard to have patience within the football season, this is not baseball, so after the 1st few weeks, I thought we were toast. What impresses me is the fact that Barry is getting it done without our biggest stars, and management putting together a solid roster with Depth. Hats off to the coaches and management, well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts